• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t want to drag this into the thread either but Covid delta variant is still raging across the US and is expected to get worse. A few months ago my office was planning to fully reopen on Sept 1 but that’s been pushed back indefinitely for now.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I don’t want to drag this into the thread either but Covid delta variant is still raging across the US and is expected to get worse.

yeah, I might be a little over optimistic saying it’s over.
But once it does finally end, it will be time to embrace looking good again. The whole sweatpants and denim phase will pass (for many) and looking good again will become popular.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I might be a little over optimistic saying it’s over.
But once it does finally end, it will be time to embrace looking good again. The whole sweatpants and denim phase will pass (for many) and looking good again will become popular.
Got it.

I still go into the office almost everyday and usually wear normal business clothes Mon-Wed. Thursday I’ll be a little lazy and wear chinos and a polo. If I go in on Fridays, I’ll wear jeans and a t shirt or shorts and a polo.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my vote:
Covid is over. Loose the Caj. Step it up.

brogued wingtip oxfords (slight brogue, not a busy mess, elegant punching) in a dark chocolate or deep oxblood. Fashion forward chisel toe, none of this almond round boring style.

the streetwear phase is about to run its course. Nice clothes will make a comeback. Get ahead of the curve! Dress up that sports coat look!

Covid is not over, unfortunately

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These look nice. No side seams or back seams.

@ntempleman is it harder to do a split toe with no side or back seams? If not, is there any reason to use back or side seams?

241314896_1905971666247036_1390106104341899955_n.jpg

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not much more difficult, it’s not as economical with leather as the pattern is one long strip, the lake is a seperate piece of leather. We would have used this construction on your pair but the only way to get the look of the lake with the broad stitches was to have a one piece vamp/lake on that thinner leather.

The more seams you have the more you can squeeze out of a piece of leather generally as the smaller patterns pieces will tessellate better. You can also preshape the upper to the last so you don’t have to stretch as much, like a back seam for instance. The benefit to no seams at the back and sides is better waterproofing in theory, for me it’s just a nice nod to the history of the craft more than anything

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wrote this in another thread, but around January of last year, I had all these ideas of clothes I was going to get from various tailors. Was going to get a suit from this person, a sport coat from that person. Then the pandemic hit the US and the first lockdown happened in March 2020. By August 2020 or so, I hadn't worn a piece of tailored clothing more than three or four times. Not even dress shirts. I couldn't imagine ordering another piece of custom clothing.

Then the US started to open back up in June of this year, and I started being able to go out again. Started going back to offices, cafes, restaurants, and out to see friends. Found myself wearing tailored clothing even more frequently before, and then suddenly, also thinking about other things I wanted to get.

I'm not a wealthy person by any means, but I've heard from friends in the luxury trade that business has been booming. These are from people who sell high-end watches and cars. One Savile Row fitter who's in the US -- and has been able to travel for fittings -- told me that trunk shows are now better than he's seen in his 20-year career.

My impression is that there are two markets: super-wealthy people, and then normal guys who are enthusiasts. Supposedly, the wealthy are spending because they have extra money from not being able to travel. I'm guessing (hoping) that enthusiasts will return once they're able to get back into the swing of wearing tailored clothes. I assume many are white-collar workers who haven't been as hard hit by the pandemic, but I don't know if emerging WFH arrangements might affect this.

I don't know. Still a grim scenario, but I'm slightly more optimistic than I was at this time last year.
Here in NY Frank (Ercole's son) told me he had been doing really well because established clients were ordering bespoke lounge wear. He said he hadn't made so many silk pajamas and robes in his entire life. Also jeans/casual pants. Times are good for the folks with FU money. Th

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone know what causes shoes to eventually fuzz up like this?

Sometimes I see suede shoes that look like they've aged well. Other times, they develop this hairy surface. Is it the material or how the wearer treated their shoes?

shoes.jpeg
shoes3.jpeg
shoes2.jpeg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the two pairs of suede shoes I own, I'd say suede quality.

One pair I own has a couple hairy spots and has been worn a lot.

Another is a chewbacca pair, hasn't been worn much, and still got hairy.

A good quick brushing after each wear is what I do for both. I like these rubber style ones on the bottom. The bristle brushes I find are too harsh for suede.

Photo-2021-07-03-4-35-15-PM-scaled.jpg

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A match to the fuzz and a quick brush will have you back to a smooth nap in no time...?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads