• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question on the heel part of the shoe trees - I would imagine the last does not have such a elongated heel shape - and neither would the foot - though I maybe wrong - but was the elongated shape of the trees made to create a tension at the back, and would not this create a gap in the actual fit? Thanks for any comments...

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I follow what you mean entirely, but I think your talking about seeing more of the rear of the tree compared to a lace up? A shoe tree like the ones I provide are duplicated from the last, a casual shoe is lower cut at the front so the treemaker cuts the forepart of the tree lower to suit it. I guess this is making the back of the tree look “longer” compared to the trees you might expect to see

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Nicholas - actually it was whether the very back of the shoe tree was the same shape as the last specifically, in particular the elongated shape as viewed from above, or whether the tree maker tries to get some tension in the back?

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoe trees are smaller than the last typically, otherwise you’ll never get the tree in the shoe without a big hammer. They have to be carefully made to fit each shoe individually, take a little off, try to fit, take a little more, try again etc etc. The tree maker never tries to adjust the fit of the shoe, if they did it would be a disaster.

still not sure what you mean by elongated heel shape though I’m afraid, just a pretty normal loafer as far as I’m concerned

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm picturing green suede gatorskin shoes for the first one.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
D5010F7D-971E-448B-BE4D-8680B203299C.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What a small world. I was admiring these boots

Then saw this person did some work with another bootmaker who apparently visited Nicholas. Seems like everyone in the bespoke shoe world knows each other.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like they're at Texas Tradition Boots with Lee Miller. It wouldn't surprise me that he would pay a visit to Lee since he's a pretty big name in the bespoke cowboy boot making business who learned from the legend Charlie Dunn. If you want some bespoke boots from Texas Traditions, the wait time is like 4 or 5 years for new customers.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like they're at Texas Tradition Boots with Lee Miller. It wouldn't surprise me that he would pay a visit to Lee since he's a pretty big name in the bespoke cowboy boot making business who learned from the legend Charlie Dunn. If you want some bespoke boots from Texas Traditions, the wait time is like 4 or 5 years for new customers.

I think they're made by someone who apprenticed under Lee. The person who visited Nicholas also may have been a Lee apprentice, but I don't know for sure. They were mentioned in this post, which is how I found their account.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, yeah Dana dropped by a few years ago, and Graham also about a year later. They’re both at Texas Traditions, I was planning on spending a couple of days in Austin back in the spring 2020 trip to TX but covid put an end to that. Graham’s a cool cat, we speak regularly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads