• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm really kind of amazed at the amount of split toe and apron derbies Nick makes. Is it just my perception or does he make a fair amount of them? I'm unaware of the RTW sales numbers; maybe it is just reflective of people's tastes in general?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm really kind of amazed at the amount of split toe and apron derbies Nick makes. Is it just my perception or does he make a fair amount of them? I'm unaware of the RTW sales numbers; maybe it is just reflective of people's tastes in general?

I don't really wear suits, so I have no need for oxfords. That leaves derbies, of which there are just a few kinds. Don't wear wingtips that much, plain toe sometimes feels too plain, so it's apron or split toe for me.

gte872h

Reaction score

I’m curious about this as well but in my humble opinion Nicholas’ split toes are absolute perfection. Coincidentally, my first pair on order with Nicholas happens to be a split toe.:)

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s a cultural thing, mainly - I do a lot of shoes for US clients and that’s where these Norwegian styles seem to be most popular so I end up making a fair number of them. Lakes and split toes are kind of a trad/ivy staple I think? Perhaps it’s become a cyclical thing in that people see them more and I end up getting more orders for them.

I would say there’s a fair split between Derby and Oxford shoes that I make, but if I get an order for Derby then 9 times out of 10 it will have a lake. No one really goes for brogue Derbies, or cap toe Derbies. Get the odd plain fronted one. It’s curious in a way, because personally I’ve never worn a shoe with a lake!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Come to think of it I don't think I have ever worn a derby other than a monk, which could be considered one I guess.

To me lakes and split toes are like a "step-up" in formality from a loafer. I suppose if I wore more "business casual" clothes I would wear derbies. I never thought about it much, but I always loved the Church Grafton.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes.

1583509270696.png

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear Based on how I imagine you to dress I can't think of when you'd wear your zip boots. What do you wear your zip boots with?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope all of this baloney doesn't suspend spring trips across the Atlantic... :hide:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads