1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, May 26, 2015.

1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi

How is do you like those JLPs? I contacted them about a pair and was impressed to find out they fly to meet you. Although at those prices, I assume many other makers would too.

2. JasonAHogg

JasonAHogg Member

They are pig skin. Very interesting leather.

3. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

Still being made. I need to have another fitting. Last time Paul was in Houston in September, I was flying to London and Germany so I missed that fitting.

4. takashi78

takashi78 Senior Member

Interesting sole option, what are those?
    What made you choose those soles?

5. JasonAHogg

JasonAHogg Member

They are a vibram style sole, I'm not sure of the specifics. I went with it as I wanted a shoe I could use all year round including during the winter. I'm very pleased with them and think the balance is spot on. Nicholas did a really good job.

6. dieworkwear

For those interested, Nicholas posted his new US travel schedule.

http://www.nicholastempleman.com/travel.html

Boston
    24th & 25th of April
    Eliot Hotel, Commonwealth Avenue

New York City
    26th & 27th of April
    The Kimberly Suite Hotel, E50th Street

San Francisco
    28th & 29th of April
    InterContinental Mark Hopkins, Nob Hill

7. ntempleman

ntempleman Senior Member

Realised the other day that I’d copy&pasted the hotel deets from the last trip, when I’m staying at a different NYC hotel this time. Only a few doors down at the Benjamin though, so no major difference. Website has been updated but thought I better say here too in case anyone planned on rocking up to the party.

8. dieworkwear

Some new shoes from Nicholas. This pair is inspired by JM Weston's Chasse, but it's a little more toned town. Last is rounded, but still more shapely than the Chasse. No aggressive welt; double sole instead of triple. Has a hidden bellow tongue here that you can't see in the photos.

One of the interesting design challenges was how to get an apron that looked like the Chasse without going for that stout, thick leather they use (cause I didn't want something so Frankenstein-ish). After a few attempts at making that apron stitch with normal leather, which kept splitting, Nicholas came up with the clever solution of doing a wholecut derby. The facings on here are made from separate pieces of leather, and the apron here is just decorative. The line you see is just a light score, not actually indicative of two pieces of leather.

Photos were taken before the shoes have been polished up. But I had these photos on my computer and was about to delete them, so I figured I'd post them here before I do. Really happy with how they turned out and now getting a pair of side zip boots.

IMG_3394 copy.JPG

IMG_3109 copya copy.jpg

9. bamboo

bamboo Senior Member

Very impressive. Classic design with new idea and technique.:worship:

10. dieworkwear

Thinking about the following for my next few orders:

- Black side zip boots to replace some that I have from Margiela. Really like the design on mine, just hate the quality.
    - Another pair of side zips, or maybe ropers, in brown. Modeled after Nicholas' dress wellingtons, which I thought looked really great in person.
    - Maybe a pair of dark brown alligator penny loafers, depending on how a similar pair turns out for a friend. If not, something modeled after @bengal-stripe's "campus loafers" posted a while back.

The black boots will replace these below. Normally would feel weird about ordering such casual style from a bespoke shoemaker, but Nicholas has been really great on this last order. I think he's more flexible than Cleverley, which almost feels MTO-ish for me at this point. He also says he's made similar boots when he was at Lobb

31ab68ccaf78ec793e5b2e429c646036.jpg

11. takashi78

takashi78 Senior Member

Any concern on the longevity of the zippers on those boots?
    How have your MM ones hold up?
    Issit easilly replaceable if it breaks?

12. dieworkwear

I don't know if it's easily replaceable. @ntempleman would have to answer that.

Mine have been fine. I have zip boots from Margiela, Kapital, and Lucchese. The leather on the pre-Galliano Margielas aren't that great, but that's my only real qualm. Haven't had issues on any of the zippers.

I've thought about going for ropers or simple pull on boots for the brown pair though, just cause I'm not sure if the zippers will hold up after years and years of use. But I don't know if that necessarily means the shaft has to be bigger. I assume so.

Nicholas had this great pair of deadstock Lobb dress wellingons that just looked incredible. Came up pretty high and he was able to wear them under slim jeans.

13. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

Those flat waxed laces are really cool but hard to find. I’ve looked but have yet to find a source. Coincidentally, I am also basing my current pair in the works from a JM Weston design. I’m having a variant of the 180 loafer made up in kudu.

14. dieworkwear

I love the 180. One of my favorite loafers.

Is Nick making them? He supplied the flat laces for me.

Saint Crispin's also offers them, although I don't know if they sell them separately. I bought these a while ago and asked for flat laces

tumblr_inline_ou1pbcCdki1qfex1b_500.jpg

Also, cat monogram!

tumblr_inline_ou1o2iwfcL1qfex1b_500.jpg

15. ntempleman

ntempleman Senior Member

Those flat waxed laces are from Saphir, any of their usual stockists should be able to source them. Or hit me up and I can flick some over