1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nice tote bag for boat and beach use

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by darknesis, Jun 6, 2010.

1. darknesis

darknesis Member

Looking for a nice but not feminine tote bag that I can bring with me to the beach and on my friend's boat this summer.

Ideally it would have space for a towel, change of clothes, flip flops, wallet, mobile, etc ... I don't mind spending some money (<$1000) but I'm not sure if leather is the best idea since the bag might get splashed with water.

Anyone have any recommendations (with links) for some nice bags I can take a look at? I also don't want to be ostentatious so nothing flashy, please.

Hey thanks so much for your help!

2. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

Not to toot my own horn, but see the &quot;FS: Other&quot; section for a JCrew tote. I'm not sure I'd want a $1000 tote being splashed either ; )

3. HHD

HHD Senior member

You don't want to mince onto a boat with a $1000 leather bag, do you? Monocle + Porter do a nice nylon tote for £165 http://shop.monocle.com/travel/porter-tote-bag And another "beach tote" by an Italian brand for Monocle: http://shop.monocle.com/travel/a-gi-...cle-beach-tote I know totes are really useful because they hold a lot of stuff (and they look good carried by Japanese guys in the Porter publicity materials) but they always make me think of the sort of bag a male trolley dolly might carry around.

4. darknesis

darknesis Member

You don't want to mince onto a boat with a $1000 leather bag, do you?

Monocle + Porter do a nice nylon tote for £165

http://shop.monocle.com/travel/porter-tote-bag

And another "beach tote" by an Italian brand for Monocle:

http://shop.monocle.com/travel/a-gi-...cle-beach-tote

I know totes are really useful because they hold a lot of stuff (and they look good carried by Japanese guys in the Porter publicity materials) but they always make me think of the sort of bag a male trolley dolly might carry around.

Haha you're so right. Thanks for the links!

5. shiftless_bum

shiftless_bum Senior member

6. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

Filson has a great canvas tote with bridle leather straps that should be more than big enough. It comes in tan, green and brown. I have a tan that is my go to bag for almost any occasion, including boating on the weekends with the family. The best thing is it is only around a $100.00.

7. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

8. darknesis

darknesis Member

Mills
    This is awesome. Thanks so much. Just got an ice bag in navy blue.

9. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Get canvas....it is extremely weather resistant, durable and most of all, it is machine washable. Sand + boat crud = destruction of high grade materials.

10. modagg

modagg Senior member

Filson has a great canvas tote with bridle leather straps that should be more than big enough. It comes in tan, green and brown. I have a tan that is my go to bag for almost any occasion, including boating on the weekends with the family. The best thing is it is only around a $100.00.

+1

Head Porter is cool but its a less sturdy bag, more expensive, lacks leather straps and you may need to have it shipped from japan. I'm all for hot colabs and I'm a bit of an elitist jerk but any magazine that charges extra to have a subscription is just too pretentious for me.

http://www.joessportinggoods.us/filson-fath93.html

On sale for $108 with free shipping, if you feel you don't need a zipper you can save yourself $25 and can subtract an addition $5 for if you want drop the leather straps for nylon.

without zipper

with nylon straps

11. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Get canvas....it is extremely weather resistant, durable and most of all, it is machine washable. Sand + boat crud = destruction of high grade materials.

+1 Agreed.

Newbie alert-
    After exposure to water (or washing) make sure the bag is thoroughly dried after and stored in open air. Canvas can rot or get musty very easily if not properly ventilated.

12. darknesis

darknesis Member

+1 Agreed.

Newbie alert-
    After exposure to water (or washing) make sure the bag is thoroughly dried after and stored in open air. Canvas can rot or get musty very easily if not properly ventilated.

Thanks. I didn't realize that as I am indeed a newbie [​IMG]. Good call.

13. artoftime

artoftime Senior member

not that this is <$1000 or necessarily appropriate for this usage, but - after several years of beating these to hell...the Hermes Garden Party bags in canvas are incredible...durable, hold a ton and seem to look better with use over the years. Carry mine all over creation...excellent piece.
    [​IMG]

14. darknesis

darknesis Member

not that this is <$1000 or necessarily appropriate for this usage, but - after several years of beating these to hell...the Hermes Garden Party bags in canvas are incredible...durable, hold a ton and seem to look better with use over the years. Carry mine all over creation...excellent piece.
    [​IMG]

That's a gorgeous bag! And you're right, it does look awesome with wear.

15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Not a tote, but might suit the needs for beach and boat trips:

OB duffle bag.

16. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

I'm delighted with L.L. Bean's boat and tote bags. I have the extra large and the medium sizes. They're perfect for laundry, weekend trips, going to the beach, and running errands around town. The monograms give the bags a personal touch.
    [​IMG]

17. Dittybag

Dittybag New Member

Looking for a nice but not feminine tote bag that I can bring with me to the beach and on my friend's boat this summer.

Ideally it would have space for a towel, change of clothes, flip flops, wallet, mobile, etc ... I don't mind spending some money (<$1000) but I'm not sure if leather is the best idea since the bag might get splashed with water.

Anyone have any recommendations (with links) for some nice bags I can take a look at? I also don't want to be ostentatious so nothing flashy, please.

Hey thanks so much for your help!

By far the best, and the iconic beach/boat bag is made by Wm. J. Mills & Co. in Greenport NY (www.millscanvas.com). The colors available are so varied that the bag line they make is neither male or female. They have been making these bags for 60 years. Simple, sturdy, and quietly very stylish. Their website offers their most popular styles. 100% canvas, machine washable. Great colors. No metal parts to corrode. One of the best labels around and completely authentic.

18. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

[​IMG]

The bag is all well and good, but the chair is more interesting.

It's all sinewy curves and then ¡BANG! a 45 degree angle on the arms.

19. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

+1

http://www.joessportinggoods.us/filson-fath93.html

On sale for $108 with free shipping, if you feel you don't need a zipper you can save yourself $25 and can subtract an addition $5 for if you want drop the leather straps for nylon.

without zipper

with nylon straps

Our prices on Filson are better than the site you listed. Your comments about the nylon strapped version also need to be corrected since it is not the same bag at all. The two bags with bridle leather are made with 22 ounce waxed twill while the nylon strapped version is 12 ounce waxed duck. The twill versions will outlast the duck version hands down.

I own and beat the crap out of a zippered tote. Life on a beach or boat would be gravy compared to construction sites or field use which is where mine has spent years without any problems. If it gets dirty you drag out the hose and give it a good washing and then let it dry and you're good to go. Condition the leather every now and again and reproof it every couple of years or so and the bag will outlast you. If you do manage to destroy it there's no worries there either. Filson is real good about replacing or fixing it with no questions asked.