• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice Shoes for everyday work other than AE

pred02

Reaction score
Ok, I do have some nice Ferragamo Tramezzas for interviews, special occassions, suit days, but I need workhorse shoes to alternate and wear to the office every day. I used to wear Bostonian, but they feel cheap, are cheap, and break apart after a year or so.

I know Allen Edmonds is among the favorites here, and I really, really tried to like them (because they are widely available and are the perfect price range I am looking at), but their styles are mostly very, very conserative US/UK styles. In terms of styling I prefer Bruno Magli or Ferragamo, with Bruno not being such good quality (according to SF), and Ferragamo being too expensive for me for everyday wear.

Are there any good quality Italian shoemakers that are in the AE price range that offer a bit less conservative styling?

Thanks

highball

Reaction score
Not sure about Italian, but you might have luck with some of these:

Grenson, from pediwear. Their rushden line is their sleeker, less conservative line.

Also, grenson makes shoes for Paul Stuart, available periodically from Bennie's for ~$200, some of which are less conservative.

I've heard of some having good luck with Church's or Loake (available from pediwear or herring shoes) but it seems like you have to be careful since some models are made from lower quality leather. I'd pay no more than probably $200 for these brands, and it sounds like the consensus around here is you should be buying these for even less, if at all. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by gnatty8
What about Santoni? These are the lower-priced line, but seem to fit your requirements quite well:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/6015659/...a+Brand2374238

These seem well outside the AE price range to me.

FreedBird

Reaction score
If you like the Italian style look at some of the AE's on the zero last. They are much more Italian styled with a sleek elongated toe box. Really different look than AE's other stuff.

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FreedBird
If you like the Italian style look at some of the AE's on the zero last. They are much more Italian styled with a sleek elongated toe box. Really different look than AE's other stuff.

Just picked up a pair of Bel Air's (on the 0 last). Love the look of the shoes & the last is one of AE's sleekest, but I still don't think it will compare to many higher end Italian brands as it is pretty broad at the toe box. See this description of the AE lasts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads