• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice Notebooks/Jotters

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
I've been looking at the Paul Smith notebooks lately, and it has me wondering -- are there any other cool/unique notebooks for under $100?

Thus far, I've looked at:
Mulberry
Paul Smith
Moleskine

Thanks.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiskeylaureate
I've been looking at the Paul Smith notebooks lately, and it has me wondering -- are there any other cool/unique notebooks for under $100?

Mulberry
Paul Smith
Moleskine

Thanks.

I think you have to define what you mean by cool.

I try to carry a small Rhodia notebook or Field Notes book with me as a jotter; neither are especiall cool, but I like the aesthetic of them. Claire Fontaine uses really good paper, though spiral bound, which I don't like, are easier to come by than cloth edge bound. I burn through the cheap Muji books. They have a nice aesthetic, but the paper is pretty thin and won't work well with a fountain pen.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to Rhodia.

Superb paper quality. The covers are indestructible. The #13 has been my notebook of choice the past few years.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey

I try to carry a small Rhodia notebook or Field Notes book with me as a jotter; neither are especiall cool, but I like the aesthetic of them. Claire Fontaine uses really good paper, though spiral bound, which I don't like, are easier to come by than cloth edge bound.

I like the Clairefontaine brown cloth-bound pocket model (#79596). As you said, it is good paper, and hard to find.

I like the Rhodia spiralbound A5 as a jotter for the desk at work. It also has good paper. Rhodia and Clairefontaine appear to be owned by the same company.

Sangfroid

Reaction score
Smythson makes excellent pocket notebooks with special "featherweight" paper. I have a couple and like them very much.

Smythson notebooks, various sizes

At least one fountain pen enthusiast has written favorably about the paper quality: here.

-- Sangfroid

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sangfroid
Smythson makes excellent pocket notebooks with special "featherweight" paper. I have a couple and like them very much. Smythson notebooks, various sizes At least one fountain pen enthusiast has written favorably about the paper quality: here. -- Sangfroid
Meh. Like the guy says in his review, the featherweight paper takes too long to dry with a fountain-pen. Also, I find them too expensive for a disposable notebook. P.S. I like your avatar. I have a small What Would Burnside Do? poster on my wall at work.

augustin

Reaction score
I know I'll take it for this, but sometimes technological change is good. I want a notebook that does hypertext, and there is one: http://www.tiddlywiki.com/, on a smartphone. Now if only I had the thumbtyping skills of my kids.

If you insist on paper, then waterproofing is a requirement for me --- for notes in the field. I've never found anything elegant that will do, but "Rite in the Rain" notebooks actually work. You can write, it won't smear, and it doesn't get moldy.

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
Interesting thoughts, all of them. I really just wanted to see some options. As for cool, I suppose I mean somewhat unique and aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately, I can't say what types of things will qualify with any certainty.

I wish I could afford a Hermes jotter, but sadly, I can't.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Col. Littleton Pocket Journal No. 23 that I keep in my jacket inside breast pocket. The cover is gator and it holds 5x3 note cards or notebook.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I like Rhodia, too. The No. 11 fits well in the pocket.

Levenger has some options for notecard size sheets. I'm considering, following some others and using a personal size Filofax (already have one) with blank lined sheets for jotting notes.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are too good for black n reds?

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I use an Hermes PM.

Me too. The paper refills are a bit pricey (... for paper) but I like it.

Sangfroid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Meh. Like the guy says in his review, the featherweight paper takes too long to dry with a fountain-pen. Also, I find them too expensive for a disposable notebook.

P.S. I like your avatar. I have a small What Would Burnside Do? poster on my wall at work.

I haven't used a fountain pen on the Smythson paper, but I'm sure you're right. With a rollerball, which is what I use, it works fine. They're definitely too expensive to be disposable, but then I never dispose of notebooks, even the cheap ones.

Your WWBD poster sounds great. I don't know how applicable the usual answer to the question -- have a series of frustrating tete-a-tetes, then take it privately to the Americans -- is to everyday life, but it's worth a try.

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiskeylaureate

Mulberry
Paul Smith
Moleskine

Thanks.

It depends on your penmanship. Your choices would probably do for ballpoint scribbling, but are hardly unique. I like Canteo http://www.canteo.ch/e/canteo.asp for flex nib fountain pen writing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads