• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice jacket but what to wear with it?

NickN

Reaction score
I am in the process, after many years of procrastination, of trying to improve my wardrobe with some decent traditional, even vintage, attire suitable for the gentleman who wishes to dress well when out and about.
I found a jacket which I rather like the look of, but am having a little trouble imagining what one would wear with it (what colour shirt, trousers, shoes) - the photo has a yellowish fabric shown underneath but I am not convinced, plus I don't own a single item of yellow clothing at present, anyway.
The jacket itself appears to have grey and dark blue as well as the yellow colours throughout it. I do think the yellow pocket square a nice touch.
Any ideas welcomed (or even "avoid it at all costs, it looks horrendous"). If it helps at all, I have dark brown hair, blue eyes, fair skin.

jacket1.jpg jacket2.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not feeling that jacket and think you can find something better.

NickN

Reaction score
The more I look at it, the more I am inclined to agree, actually. I am very open to suggestions as to what might suit - as have not had much luck searching for sport jackets and the like, but maybe am looking for the wrong thing.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more I look at it, the more I am inclined to agree, actually. I am very open to suggestions as to what might suit - as have not had much luck searching for sport jackets and the like, but maybe am looking for the wrong thing.

start with the very basics. Do you have a navy blazer or sportcoat?

TheIronDandy

Reaction score

This.

The safest purchase you can make is a well fitting navy jacket. I would say flannel if you live in a temperate zone, basket weave if you're in warmer climate. Combine with grey trousers, again flannel for warmer climate (or maybe cavalry twill if you want something different), fresco for warmer. That gives you a basic, well dressed look that will work with a dress shirt and tie, a oxford button down or a knitted sweater, and any kind of footwear from dressy sneakers to calfskin loafers or derbies.

It's easy to get carried away with patterns, especially when many people on styleforum and IG will gush about various patterned jackets, but a classic navy is much easier to pull off for the inexperienced dresser. I made this mistake when I started building my wardrobe, I spent too much money on flashy things and not enough on the basics. If I may be so bold, I would suggest you read a couple of guides on "capsule collections"; this one could be a good start. Always take these with a grain of salt as I find many style bloggers tend to lose a bit of touch with the reality most people live in (if you read enough Permanent Style, you can get the feeling that the only way to be well dressed is to wear nothing but Saville Row suits and Loro Piana knitwear), but read enough of these and you'll see some staple items showing up in most of them:

Navy jacket.
Grey flannel trousers.
A pair of tailored chinos.
Suede loafers.

These things are a great starting point for building a more classic, timeless wardrobe.

NickN

Reaction score

Sounds a good idea, so, yes, I have a navy cotton blazer, and a couple of Harris Tweed jackets, grey and earthy brown/grey.

This.

The safest purchase you can make is a well fitting navy jacket. I would say flannel if you live in a temperate zone, basket weave if you're in warmer climate. Combine with grey trousers, again flannel for warmer climate (or maybe cavalry twill if you want something different), fresco for warmer. That gives you a basic, well dressed look that will work with a dress shirt and tie, a oxford button down or a knitted sweater, and any kind of footwear from dressy sneakers to calfskin loafers or derbies.

It's easy to get carried away with patterns, especially when many people on styleforum and IG will gush about various patterned jackets, but a classic navy is much easier to pull off for the inexperienced dresser. I made this mistake when I started building my wardrobe, I spent too much money on flashy things and not enough on the basics. If I may be so bold, I would suggest you read a couple of guides on "capsule collections"; this one could be a good start. Always take these with a grain of salt as I find many style bloggers tend to lose a bit of touch with the reality most people live in (if you read enough Permanent Style, you can get the feeling that the only way to be well dressed is to wear nothing but Saville Row suits and Loro Piana knitwear), but read enough of these and you'll see some staple items showing up in most of them:

Navy jacket.
Grey flannel trousers.
A pair of tailored chinos.
Suede loafers.

These things are a great starting point for building a more classic, timeless wardrobe.

Thank you, some good advice there and I will read the link you kindly provided.
I do indeed have a navy jacket, my first purchase, as well as chinos of various colours and a handful of dress shirts, so hopefully off to a good start.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics