• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice dress shoes not worth it?

NYCdriven

Reaction score
I've been buying the usual Mezlan, Magnanni, Ferragamo, etc for years. My turn over for a pair is literally 4-5 months before I have to repair them or throw them out. I also drink heavily on the weekends and always head out in a set of Oxfords/monk straps here in NYC. I started wearing mall shoes like CK, Kenneth Cole, etc and what I noticed is that i'm face planting a lot less when I'm drunk due to the soles being made of rubber and now I'm not as stressed by scuffing or having people step on them.

I'm in a suit every day for work, and I keep a nice pair Gravati in the office that I swap into, but other then that I completely stopped investing in nice shoes. Am I the only one?

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yawn. Solution: don't get out of control drunk.

Also. You won't find much love on the forums for mezlan, ferragamo, or magnani. I'd have to check regarding gravati.

At that price point, id point you toward Crockett & jones or Alfred Sargent.

DaveCPA

Reaction score
Yeah if you're routinely finding yourself in that sort of shape, i would advise rubber soles as well. Maybe a helmet.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been buying the usual Mezlan, Magnanni, Ferragamo, etc for years. My turn over for a pair is literally 4-5 months before I have to repair them or throw them out. I also drink heavily on the weekends and always head out in a set of Oxfords/monk straps here in NYC. I started wearing mall shoes CK, Kenneth Cole, etc and what I noticed is that i'm face planting a lot less when I'm drunk due to the soles being made of rubber and now I'm not as stressed by scuffing or having people step on them.

I'm in a suit every day for work, and I keep a nice pair Gravati in the office that I swap into, but other then that I completely stopped investing in nice shoes. Am I the only one?
Don’t get stupid drunk. That seems to be 95% of your problem. Plus, the money you'd save could be put towards good shoes.

Do you have more than one pair at a time? If not, have a minimum of two pairs to allow rest time. They'll last more than twice as long.

You can get nice dress shoes with combination or full rubber soles. Quality uppers will last longer and can handle scuffs; I've hidden some decent gouges. You definitely don't sound like a candidate for shell, but suede might be a good choice as scuffs will be easy to hide.
I hear shark skin is pretty resiliant as well...

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
Not sure if serious topic, but ill bite. I find there are "good" value in the tier below the absolute most expensive. Allen Edmonds, Loake 1880, C&J, Cheaney and Carmina make perfect shoes especially if you find a bargain on this site or something like eBay.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if serious topic, but ill bite. I find there are "good" value in the tier below the absolute most expensive. Allen Edmonds, Loake 1880, C&J, Cheaney and Carmina make perfect shoes especially if you find a bargain on this site or something like eBay.

Judging by that he likes ferragamo, I think Loake, & allen Edmonds are out.

Carmina & cheaney maybe. Haven't handled either of those in a long time. My beater shoes are either c&j or Alfred Sargent. If I know I'm going to place with a lot of drunks, I'll wear those.

I like the carmina suggestion though, it's a solid performing shoe. C&Js have become too hyped up & their price is no longer at the sweet spot. Alfred Sargent have better finishings at a Lower price (than the bench grade). C&J handgrades were like 8 or 900 last I checked - that's pushing 1k.

Other options: Carlos santos, Enzo bonafe.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as troll threads go, this one is solid.

I apologize y'all for enabling the troll. I was tipsy last night.

For those who are wondering, I was drinking belvenie 21 at my local bar.

NYCdriven

Reaction score
This isn't a troll post.

I wasn't exactly looking for recommendations on other brands, but questioning the logic on spending a ton of money on something that goes on my feet and eventually falls apart so easily. I have no qualms on buying a 3-4k suit or a 5k watch since they last so much longer. Unless I've just been buying bad brands all this time. I was gifted a set of Westons by my father for my law school graduation several years ago and even those lasted under a year.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't a troll post.

I wasn't exactly looking for recommendations on other brands, but questioning the logic on spending a ton of money on something that goes on my feet and eventually falls apart so easily. I have no qualms on buying a 3-4k suit or a 5k watch since they last so much longer. Unless I've just been buying bad shoes all this time.

You've been buying bad shoes focused on branding. Ferragamo are 150 dollar quality shoes with a logo on it. Waste of money. Judging by your username. You're in New York. Go to leffot. They fix you up.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop drinking and behave like an adult.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Genuinely don’t understand how you can burn through shoes so fast...you might want to figure that out first before buying nicer footwear. Although not top notch those brands listed should last much longer than that if properly cared for.

Perhaps start reading through some shoe care threads and watch where you put your feet...

agent.5

Reaction score
We need a poll for best shoes and jackets for getting complete sh*t face.

CloudLi

Reaction score
Why don't we make this the best scotch thread? And I do not understand what you do to your shoes after you are drunk. SLeep in them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads