• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice Casual/Elegant Jeans?

TheDon

Reaction score
Right now I am looking for a nice pair of causal nighttime jeans. Something I can wear to dinner etc. I am looking for a dark color but don't know which brand to get. I have a few pairs of Ralph Lauren and True Religion jeans but they are strictly for really casual times just with a t-shirt etc. I need something that will be nice with a button down or a sweater. Im a college student so my budget is not too big. I do not want something too tight, just comfortable.

hi-val

Reaction score
Have you searched the forum and read the "I have a Jean" thread? You'll likely find your answers there.

hustlenflo22

Reaction score
Nudie is probably the way to go, I think these retain the indigo for a good amount of time--there are others that know a lot more about this

the cut is also really important to dress up a pair of jeans--you'll want no stacking, and a slimmer fit is definitely a good call

TheDon

Reaction score
Yeah i checked the post pics of denim thread and most people have a stacking on their jeans. I do not want any stacking.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a hundred different dark, plain, slim jeans you could choose. Look in the gallery and see if one appeals to you.

TheDon

Reaction score
Is raw the only way to go or regular denim is ok?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be raw but it should be dark. I prefer raw.

TheDon

Reaction score
If i get a dark raw denim. Will it fade etc when washed then it won't be good for dress-up purposes?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
It will fade. Honestly, denim and elegant are not in the same category usually. I am not sure what you are going for but if I need to look nice I am not going to put on my apc's. I think denim should be beaten up and worn hard. It can look good with a sportcoat or something but that is an affectation. If you really need to look nice go with Incotex or something, not jeans.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acne is the popular vote around here for when it comes to a dressy pair of jeans. If you're only wearing them when you need to dress it up a bit, I don't see them fading too quickly.

TheDon

Reaction score
I want to wear these everyday but also to like a decent restaurant etc.

chris902

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDon
If i get a dark raw denim. Will it fade etc when washed then it won't be good for dress-up purposes?

Any and all denim will fade including pre-washed/distressed denim... it just has a head start on the fading.

I have seen people wear skulls with button ups and nice shoes and look good. Other than that APC and Nudie definately seem like the obvious choices.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd vote for APCs, Earnest Sewns, or possibly one of the more conservative Paper, Denim & Cloth jeans. I have a pair of Earnest Sewns in a dark blue/almost black wash that are much more "dressy."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads