• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NIB Grenson Masterpiece Black half-brogues 9.5D - the ONLY black shoes you'll need

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disappointed in the Bennies' sale? Well all is not lost.
smile.gif
Here are what I consider to be the nicest black shoes I've seen in a long time - if ever. Everyone needs one nice pair of black laceups and these fit the bill for a lucky buyer who wears a size 9-9.5D. I really like this style because the restrained and discrete brogueing gives them just enough interest to not be too boring like pair of AE Park Aves yet there isn't too much of it that I wouldn't wear these to a job inteview.

They are Grenson Masterpiece black calf perforated captoe / half-brogues. They are NOT made for Paul Stuart but are the Grenson branded Masterpiece that are much harder to find these days. The calf uppers are top quality. The last (#103) is very elegant with a slightly squared off toebox and chisel, and the construction is excellent: goodyear welted, beautifully channelled soles and tapered waist... I personally think these shoes are nearly as good as EG (especially considering the EG antiquing advantage is nil with black shoes) and better than the C&J handgrades I've seen.

They are marked 8.5E (UK size) and will fit a 9D/E to 9.5D US. I am more of a 9.5E-10D US and they are unfortunately just a bit tight for me in the width and toebox, or I would definitely NOT be selling them.

The shoes are brand new in their box with shoe bags and extra laces (prisitine diorshoe condition
smile.gif
). Stuart's choice Grensons retail for $678-$838 and seem to be getting harder to find at discount. I am asking $350 for these with shipping in North America, which is my cost so no lowball offers please. PM or email for paypal info.

img3872dp5.jpg

img3875od9.jpg

img3890tf0.jpg

Some photos without flash:

img3891dq3.jpg

img3892og9.jpg

img3894ok7.jpg

img3871vw3.jpg

img3896wa1.jpg

nmoraitis

Reaction score
PM sent

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
nmoraitas

you'll be happy to know that "the committee" has these on the classics list. Unfortunately, I can't tell you the rest of the items on the list, sorry.

And this is why you shall forever remain on my meanie list.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do accept kidneys as currency, perchance?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoes are now sold (cash only, sorry but organs not accepted
smile.gif
) - thanks.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at first I doubted you, but they are indeed possibly the only black shoes one would need.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
at first I doubted you, but they are indeed possibly the only black shoes one would need.
Not if you attend black-tie events. Or clubs.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Maybe "need," but I'd argue the case for black monks, too. Preferably with a silver buckle.

I like black monks too but for a professional wardrobe, black (or any color) monks are probably not "needed". For the record, I didn't count formal shoes like pumps or patent laceups either as another kind of black shoe one would "need". I'm talking 9 to 5 here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads