• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NIB Bonora suede shoes 10.5/11

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
I picked up some Bonora suede shoes. Unfortunately they are just a little bit too big for me. They are marked 10.5 on the bottom of the shoe. I think they probably run just a touch bigger than that -- more like an 10.75 or 11. The outsole measures 12 5/8". The outsole is cut very close to the upper, so the insole measures right around 12 5/8" as well.

I think the shoes are blake stitched, but they seem very well constructed. The suede is a grayish brown color -- more brown than gray. The shape is fairly unique -- not quite a chisel toe, but not quite a round toe either. They are pretty cool shoes. You'd have to be bold to pull them off with a suit (though I could see them with a flannel or tweed suit, I suppose), but I'm sure lots of guys here could figure out what to wear them with.

I think these were originally from Louis Boston. The price tag on the bottom says $675. Some seller on Ebay is selling similar shoes for $249 + shipping. I'm asking $170 shipped.

I'm pretty sure these are the same shoes (though the seller describes the size all wrong): http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MEN-BONORA-C...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's my own picture (shoes are just a bit darker in real life): http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1...a......la8.jpg

P3R3

Reaction score
drool.gif

mattjames

Reaction score
According to the ebay auction the marked size is European. Is that British?
I actually put that very pair onto my watch list yesterday. Is Bonora a respected brand?

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Bonora is an Italian company. I think they are pretty well respected, though they aren't at the level of the top English makers like Edward Green or Lobb. They are more stylish though. It's just a completely different type of shoe.

I don't think the sizing is British on the shoe at all -- I think the Ebay seller is just totally off base in saying that. I know that I wear a 10E British in Edward Green's 888 last, and the Bonoras fit just slightly bigger. That indicates to me that the 10.5 size on the shoe is the U.S. size, but it fits a little bit long (more like a 10.75 or 11).

mattjames

Reaction score
Wouldn't those circumstances indicate that the 10.5 marked on the shoe is a British size? Being a little bigger than your 10UK Edward Green's and all.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
No it would not. a 10UK Edward Green is a 10.5 US. The Bonora 10.5 fits *slightly* longer. It would definitely fit *smaller* than a 10.5 UK Edward Green (I know because I've tried on a 10.5 UK recently). That's why I'm saying it's sort of like a 10.75.

In any event, Bonora has nothing to do with England, so marking them with a British size would make absolutely no sense. FWIW, the price tag on the bottom lists the shoes as 44+ (meaning 44.5). That translates to 10.5 US.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads