1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Aug 1, 2011.

1. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Pierre is effectively a hockey nerd. He knows far, far more about the game and individual players than Steigerwald and Edwards combined and multiplied by ten.

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Yet he keeps coming up short on every GM job he applies for.

What do you guys think about the Rangers? Seems to me that they're just not good enough yet. Not that the Devils are great, but something seems off with the Rangers this whole series. I stand by what I said earlier in the fact that I think they need another bonafide goalscorer, ehem Nash.

3. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

The Rangers are not dissimilar from many teams with strong young core talent. Look at the Blackhawks in 2009, who had to lose in the WCF to the veteran Wings in order to figure out how to put it all together. It seems like it's impossible to win a cup without baby steps. You lose rd 1, you lost rd 3, then you're in a place where you can win. The Kings matured over the past couple of seasons in first round defeats, especially J Quick, who until this year had the occasional inconsistent game in pressure situations.

This doesn't really explain the Devils. They are an aberration solely because the blueline is so consistent and team D is so solid in spite of their not being a defense-first squad. I attribute this largely to Larry Robinson, as well as obviously to DeBoer.

All of that said I do think Rags make it 3 straight 7 game series. They should have won last night. And they have been extremely good in those 7th games. So I wouldn't count them out right now. I may be biased because of my pool.

4. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

I think the Rangers are good enough. They have elite goaltending, a good defensive system, and top line scoring (Richards and Gaborik). They're having a tremendous time putting teams away. That's their only issue. They were up 2-1 in every single series so far and haven't been able to deliver the coup de grace in game four. That says a lot about a team's coaching and its mental makeup.

I like Torts as a coach but sometimes he has trouble getting his team ready for games, both in the regular season and the playoffs. There's no reason for the Rangers to be in so many tight games with mediocre teams.

5. gort

gort Senior member

Welp 2-0 already, not that a two goal lead means much in this series so far. :embar:

6. NewYorkIslander

I'm so fed up with the lack of performance this playoff year. From Game 2 against Ottawa, people have been talking Cup, Cup, Cup, '94. Washington and Ottawa snuck in and backed in respectively and they took us to 7 games. Had we played Boston, Phi, Pitt, or Jersey earlier, we would not have made it this far. The team seems like a shell on the ice. No one stands out, d-men pinching for the first time all year cause Torts can't count on OT and shootouts to win. We've deviated from our year long style of defensive play, because when you come up against the leagues top teams (Conference Finals level) you're going to face good offenses. Can't beat teams like that scoring one or two goals a game. I hope what you said about the team growing like the Hawks did, is true. We need another piece or two and these guys to mature without losing much.

7. NewYorkIslander

8. gort

gort Senior member

As a caps fan I am excite.

Misery loves company. :D

9. Lord-Barrington

New York just flat out did not play well enough to win that series. I think the Devils will lose in six to Los Angeles. They're a gutty team but they aren't like Los Angeles either. They finished sixth in the east because they were about that good. Los Angeles could have won the West if they ever gelled but for most of the year they were a huge disappointment.

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

They finished sixth in the East and fourth in the Atlantic because that division is stacked. Los Angeles does not see the quality of teams in the regular season that the Devils do. Not that any of that matters at this point. LA has been on a good run but it's the kind of run that has to end somewhere and this is where it ends. I predict the Devils win in 5.

11. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

If the Devils win does Brodeur retire?

12. NewYorkIslander

I'm gutted...really gutted. This was the first time since 1992 that I felt this distraught over a Rangers loss. My wife was actually crying as we went to bed last night. I hope the complacency from teh 94 Cup has left the organization like its left its fans. Its clear that Tortarella (and I) think we need more offense. Since the Ottawa series, he has been pinching defensemen to create more chances as it was clear to im, and the rest of the world, that defense alone wasn't going to get us far, and couldn't win us the Cup. We'll need a few changes to bring some more firepower to Broadway. I assume we'll take another look at what it would take to bring Nash here, and depending upon the development of some of our younger d-men, particularly McIlrath, make a move for him (DelZotto, Dubinsky, and a pick if CBJ are asking a lot) or we just go after Zach Parise HARD. He was really impressve in that series and I can't see NJD keeping him, especially if Uncle Daddy retires. What goalie n their right mind would want to follow him in Newark.

Kings in 6.

13. Lord-Barrington

I get the feeling Parise will be ridiculously expensive. He was popular before the playoffs and now his stock has shot through the roof. I think he's a great player and I'd be willing to give up a lot for him but he's going to get some crazy money in the offseason.

New York's major problem was that they weren't scoring goals. Consider these numbers for Henrik (before last night's game):

SV%: .933
    GAA: 1.77
    Shutouts: 3
    W-L Record: 10-10

Those stats don't make any sense. When you're letting in so few goals, you should be winning more than 50% of the time. The Rangers only scored more than three goals once all playoffs and were only leading after two periods twice. Those are tough stats to get over.

The Rangers have a good young core and I think they're headed in the right direction. They need to look at getting more reliable scoring in the playoffs though. Gaborik and Richards just didn't deliver the goods.

14. gort

gort Senior member

I think crying over a sports team loss is a bit much.:embar:

15. NewYorkIslander

Coming from a DC guy (I believe) I can understand this. In NY the clubs here are a lot more engrained in the culture, and rivalries are much more intense (which is what the Devs were, a local rival). We both put a lot of emotional and hysical stock in this team, and they feel like an extended family for us (season tix since the 70's on my side). Since the playoffs started we've been EXHAUSTED. 8PM game times with two teachers with 2 kids under 4 (and we physically work, not like we sit at desks all day) on top of the emotional stress means we may have been just as tired as our club. To most Ranger fans, and most NY fans in general, crying at something like this isn't unheard of...there's a reason I'm "NewYorkRanger"...its that big a part of our lives.

16. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Based on some insider knowledge, and a bunch of other factors, I am nearly certain that Parise will re-sign with the Devils.

17. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

What I saw in games 1-3 was that the Rangers were very confident and complacent that as long as they stayed in the game, they'd eventually get a lucky break and win. Going into game 4, I thought the Devils needed to come out strong, score quickly, score more than 3, and for Marty to have a good game, all of which happened. Basically I wanted the Devils to spook the Rangers players and make them realize that sitting back and waiting for a break wouldn't work anymore. It looks like that happened, since the Rangers played their best games of the series in the next 2 games. Now, as a Devils fan, I have to say it's nice to be on the other side of that coin... to have your team be outplayed and still manage to win games. I know that's what a lot of Rangers fans were saying defending the fact that they were being dominated... "good teams find a way to win no matter what".

Which is funny, because most Devils fans perspective was, "I'll just be happy if they get out of the first round... anything else is a bonus". Then of course, they play our two biggest rivals, which makes it a little more meaningful for fans.

Well, from the other side of the coin, I'm really happy the 1994 monkey is finally off of Devils fans' backs. Despite the 3 cup wins and 4 finals appearances, that one still stung and Rangers fans liked to hold it over our heads whenever possible. (I cried after the game 7 loss that year... unbelievable emotional ups and downs. Of course, I was still a kid.) I also hope the complacency of 1994 has left the Rangers organization... I'm sick of hearing about it and sick of the constant reliving of the past on MSG. I won't be sure of it 'til we get through 2014.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  18. Lord-Barrington

Bro, never move to Montreal. We have a relationship with the Habs that is more emotional than most marriages.

19. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

All things point to Lidstrom announcing his retirement in 20 minutes. Not surprising, but thanks for the memories to an all time great.

Oh, and watched parts of Game 1. Ugh

20. jarude

jarude Senior member

damn... what a run for lidstrom. who will win the james norris nicklas lidstrom trophy now?