1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

A Kings vs. Flyers final would be a joyride given the trades that seemed to help each.

Can see the Kings coming out of the West given the play of the other teams remaining. Not sure about the Flyers....their offense aside, it's been pretty :uhoh:

2. CaesarSTL

CaesarSTL Senior member

As a St. Louis fan I def hope to not see the Kings advance any farther than this round, but we'll see.... As a whole I just really don't want NY and LA in the finals just to stick it to the NHL, so tired in particular of all the coverage/spotlighting of east coast teams like the Rangers, Pens, Bruins, etc. (Nothing against their real fans or the teams themselves though, I'm just tired of having them shoved down our throats all of the time)

3. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

The east coast media has a very selective memory. The Pens and Bruins were basically giving away tickets prior to a few years ago but they're constantly marketed as being "great" hockey markets. With that said, smaller markets would get a lot less flack if, you know, people attended the games.

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I don't think the Rangers get nearly as much ink as do the Bruins, Caps, Pens, and Flyers. I think the best thing to happen to the league was have the Rangers win the Stanley Cup in '94, but now they're a lot lower on the pecking order I think.

I do agree though that your Blues don't get nearly enough press. We love John Davidson here, and if anyone besides a Ranger lifts the Cup, I hope it'd be you guys, cause of him.

As far as "great" hockey markets, I think Philly is hands down the best in the East. Boston is Johnny come lately, NY honestly sucks, if it weren't for all the corporate seats, the Garden would be half empty like the Rock and Coliseum most nights. Philly, good or bad, has a great following thats always there.

5. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

I've always thought the Rangers have a decent following. Even during the mediocre years the Garden had a good turnout.

6. NewYorkIslander

The Garden always sells out, but isn't always filled. Especially for the first period. Many lower bowl seats are corporate and the folks don't show up until the second period if at all during regular season. Its not like Pitt where there are "fans" in every seat. That's what Philly has too. I don't think a guy like Falcone could afford those seats at MSG. [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

Suitseats[​IMG] suck, if only because its less noisy then.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  8. NewYorkIslander

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

+1

holy crap

10. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

Canadiens' new GM....not a bad looking sonofabitch (no homo)

[​IMG]

11. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

This is crazy, I have been standing ~3 feet from the TV for the last two hours.

12. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

13. NewYorkIslander

Holy shit, he's like a vampire, he wakes up when everyone else goes to sleep. Cool thing, that was the longest Ranger game either me OR my dad has ever seen.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I thought this was his best game in some time. He's still not dominating the open spaces like the regular season, but open spaces are few and far between these days. He could have ended it a few moments earlier, but hello goal post (Caps his the post a few times this game, just like the Rangers did in game 2).

Overall solid win for the Rangers, I thought they really controlled a lot of the play in each one of the overtimes.

15. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

+1, the Rangers outplayed the Caps in all three overtimes, they deserved the win. I thought Gaborik got stronger each period, by the end, it was clear that the Gaborik, Richards and Callahan were the three offensive players with the most left in the tank.

Huge amount of credit goes to the Rangers defense as well, they dodged a bullet when Ovechkin hit the post in OT but overall, they were very consistent and dependable.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Yeah the D was really solid and consistent all game long. Girardi, Staal, McD all came to play, and play hard they did.

Any closeup shots of Girardi or Boyle were awesome because of the big blood stains on their jerseys.

oh, and Kreider negating the icing was awesome. He's basically at the hash marks and the puck goes behind the goal line for the icing where two Caps are basically a few feet away to make the touch up. And then boom, there is Kreider to negate the icing, and the way the Caps played the situation was the equivalent of "the fuck? what just happened?"

17. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I have also been more and more impressed with Richards over the last couple months. He may have made a bad decision when he held the puck too long before shooting on that odd man rush in OT but in general, he seems to have great vision and intelligently captain the offense.

18. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Troy Brouwer is wearing goat horns today. How do you miss a chance like that. Should've been over. Glad it ended like it did.

Richards has a Conn Smythe does he not? I was never in doubt about his show-up credentials when it comes to the playoffs.

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

agreed. It seems like he has had a hand in half the goals for the Rangers over the past few games, sometimes directly and sometimes indirectly.

yup, 2004 under Tortorella.

20. gomestar

gomestar Senior member