NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Depending on where you live there should be a beginners men's league. Lots of people get involved at an adult level. Just go do it!

Nothing wrong with looking into local skating camps (usually weekends or a couple of days during the week) and get some skating lessons. It will help immensely and you'll feel and do much better on the ice.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

+1,000,000. The greatest skate making company ever (based on a Swiss military boot). They barely even need to advertise, it's all from word of mouth. I have been wearing Grafs since playing in college and will never buy another brand.

3. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Where did you play in college?

4. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

wow, how much they set you back? How long have you been playing?

5. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Just start at a men's "C" league. You will be fine, and get hacked to death, so get some good pants and shins!

Temple University in Philly. ACHA league. Not the highest level, but not bad. We are about the same level as a low Canadian Junior C.

6. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I used to play at Kutztown. One of the Flyers brother used to play at Temple. I can't remember his name. The brother that played for the Flyers still plays but was traded and plays for a West Coast team currently.

I played Junior B in Wintersport. What a disaster that was...

7. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Dianus Zubrus's
    brother used to play at Temple. He's now an accountant. Zubrus is playing with the Devils now. I played with him and he was nasty. I probably played against you, too!!!

I grew up playing at Wintersport during the Friday midnight sessions. Small world.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Good advice here, just check for beginner men's leagues. After my wife came to a few of my games she decided she wanted to pick it up (she is TINY). She took a beginner learn to skate, then a beginner earn to play class and by the end she was passable on the ice. I wish I still had the time to play but once my second kid was born I quit the ice for a local roller league (just down the road) and now I don't even do that. I miss it terribly and plan on getting back once the kids are older (and perhaps once they're in skates).

Any of your kids start playing yet? At what age did you put them in skates?

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I miss my playing days, but living in Manhattan with a hard work schedule makes it pretty much impossible. Maybe one day.

also, fwiw:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20120105_Flyers_fans_sought_in_assault.html?cmpid=124488489

and according to NYDN the Rangers fan is a cop and former Marine.

10. Mr. Bananagrabber

Mr. Bananagrabber Senior member

I only ever played rec league roller hockey in high school and then started playing pick up ice hockey games here and there during college but would love to get into something more regular. Gort, you said you play in Virginia right? Do you play at Kettler? I wish there was a rink easier to get to from Baltimore. Rockville and Columbia aren't too far away but long enough that I don't make the trip unless someone's organized a game.

11. gort

gort Senior member

I got them on sale for boxing week from a canadian shop for $500 CDN, not bad. The exchange rate is working in our favor ever so slightly right now too. I've been playing goal since I was 8 and I just turned 28, so about 20 years.

I sub at Kettler sometimes, I am on a team full time in Reston and another team full time in Ashburn. Kettler has great ice obviously since it's the Capitals' facility but it's a bit longer of a drive for me. I'd play there if a team had an opening but it's pretty tough to get your foot in the door for a good level team as a goalie, and I have no interest in playing in the lower level leagues as those are just frustrating.

Have you looked into Reistertown or Piney Orchard? I haven't played in Reistertown but I see a lot of emails for games there pop up on the goalie email sub list I'm a member of. I played in the Piney men's league one summer while I was in college and it was a good level of play. Laurel has a really good men's league too.

12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Jealous of you guys who have rinks near you. When I grew up I had one within walking distance and obviously played a ton through high school and then at college. Now the closest rink to me is 45 minutes. I have a few buddies that live in ATL that try to tempt me out but now I think not playing in over a year is more of a worry than how far the rink is :embar:

Also, +1 for how awesome Graf is. Only boot I wore in HS. However, Bauer and then Nike Bauer (and then back to Bauer) was my school's gear, so I haven't worn Grafs in a long time.

13. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Just saw video of that fight. Ranger fan was a WOodbridge NJ off dutry PO and a former Marine. Too bad he didn't have his gun with em, one less dick Flyer fan to worry about (joking/joking). Flyer fans, and Philadelphia sports fans in general tend to be very douche baggy. Ranger fans used to be the same way until '94, then the Cup seemed to gentrify the Garden a bit.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

ridiculous save by visentin. sucks that its only for a bronze, but at least this will be some measure of justice for the kid.

15. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Yeah, it was Zubrus! I just couldn't think of his name. My friend went there at that time but he quit playing. That's who told me about Zubrus' brother. I'm sure I'm older than you. I think at that time I was trying out for the minor leagues. That was around 15 years ago.