• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NHL 2011-2012 Thread

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Giroux a dick by not wanting to hold his team back if he's not ready? Whaa?

I've played with guys like that...you know, they just don't feel up to playing because they knew that they might not score 3 goals/6 points and they don't want their rep damaged. I played through all kinds of **** (granted just beer league stuff) and couldn't stand guys who wouldn't show up because they had a cold, or a niggling injury, or sat and whined on the bench. This guy is paid to play. The doctors cleared him, and he pulls that "Gee, I'm not sure coach."

Look, he's awesome. Great skill set. But I think that kind of attitude is poor, and wouldn't want a guy like that on my team. It also says a lot about his self confidence, which in the long run may hurt him. If a guy feels like that about himself, in this league its only a matter of time before he becomes a streaky player. A couple of games without points and he goes from being the best in the league, to an underperforming star, and it spirals. We've had our share of those guys too, Alexi Kovalev, Pat Verbeek, Tomas Sandstrom. The Caps also have a few of these guys...AO and AS. its what separates GREAT players from very good ones. He has the potential to be great, but if he keeps that attitude, especially in Philly, it aint gonna last.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've played with guys like that...you know, they just don't feel up to playing because they knew that they might not score 3 goals/6 points and they don't want their rep damaged. I played through all kinds of **** (granted just beer league stuff) and couldn't stand guys who wouldn't show up because they had a cold, or a niggling injury, or sat and whined on the bench. This guy is paid to play. The doctors cleared him, and he pulls that "Gee, I'm not sure coach."
Look, he's awesome. Great skill set. But I think that kind of attitude is poor, and wouldn't want a guy like that on my team. It also says a lot about his self confidence, which in the long run may hurt him. If a guy feels like that about himself, in this league its only a matter of time before he becomes a streaky player. A couple of games without points and he goes from being the best in the league, to an underperforming star, and it spirals. We've had our share of those guys too, Alexi Kovalev, Pat Verbeek, Tomas Sandstrom. The Caps also have a few of these guys...AO and AS. its what separates GREAT players from very good ones. He has the potential to be great, but if he keeps that attitude, especially in Philly, it aint gonna last.

I really don't think he's that kind of player. I've watched him play since he came in as a rookie and in the AHL. He has a lot of heart and passion. I just think the HBO producers wanted some extra drama. Plus, with Pronger and Crosby out, the concussion scare is spreading like a virus around the league. Then again, I'm saying this cause I'm a Flyers fan.:nodding:

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've followed him since his junior days in Gatineau and he is the antithesis of the type of player you describe. His compete level is very high and he is extremely demanding towards himself and his teammates and always has been. If he isn't playing, it's because he doesn't feel ready.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canada v denmark is getting ugly fast

Sent from my K080 using Tapatalk

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Canada v denmark is getting ugly fast
Sent from my K080 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately Canada probably won't let up and will be rolling their top lines and throwing monster hits well into the third. I'm a proud Canadian but I've never rooted for the WJC team and won't start now.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately Canada probably won't let up and will be rolling their top lines and throwing monster hits well into the third. I'm a proud Canadian but I've never rooted for the WJC team and won't start now.

The tournament format encourages running up the score, it has nothing to do with team Canada

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
So... opinions from the peanut gallery on the Kopecky vs. Del Zotto vs. Rupp incident? What do people think about this? Opinion seems split as to whether,

1. Del Zotto started it with the cross check and got what he deserved (Kevin Dineen even said this outright),
2. Kopecky's play was cowardly and dirty and he got what was coming to him from Rupp who was doing exactly what he should have in sticking up for his teammate,
3. Rupp should have left well enough alone after the linesman was there but Kopecky should've stood up and answered the bell for the punch,
4. Rupp is the coward for ripping apart a guy who doesn't fight while he was turtling.

I'm in category number 2. You sucker a guy, you take your damned medicine, and I didn't think what Del Zotto did was anything too far out of the ordinary, you see that all the time to begin with. Interested to see where others fall.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FANTASTIC. "You wanna go?", "OK", "Good luck to you", "Good luck to you too bud"...George Laroque?
So... opinions from the peanut gallery on the Kopecky vs. Del Zotto vs. Rupp incident? What do people think about this? Opinion seems split as to whether, 1. Del Zotto started it with the cross check and got what he deserved (Kevin Dineen even said this outright), 2. Kopecky's play was cowardly and dirty and he got what was coming to him from Rupp who was doing exactly what he should have in sticking up for his teammate, 3. Rupp should have left well enough alone after the linesman was there but Kopecky should've stood up and answered the bell for the punch, 4. Rupp is the coward for ripping apart a guy who doesn't fight while he was turtling. I'm in category number 2. You sucker a guy, you take your damned medicine, and I didn't think what Del Zotto did was anything too far out of the ordinary, you see that all the time to begin with. Interested to see where others fall.
I didn't think the cross check was all too terrible. Was two guys battling in front of the net. DelZotto got a cheap shot, Rupp made Kopecky pay. Too bad the Rangers are going to be blacked out on my cable (Time Warner, the largest cable provider in NYC is being held hostage by MSG who is demanding a 53% price increase) on January 1. No Rangers, Devils, Islanders or Knicks. Rematch should be a doozy.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
High of 41 in Philly. Promises to be another soft-ice-slop-fest today. Oh well. At least we'll get to see the NHL hike up its skirt for the masses.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's only fitting hours after they report he's not playing on the NHL network they announce he is playing. :p

Also, why do they play the canadian national anthem when both teams are American?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads