NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Alexei Kovalev was a whole different animal. He was more like Alex Semin than anyone else -- supremely talented but just would not show up on some nights and wouldn't even try either. He was fun to watch in Montreal, but oftentimes not for the right reasons.

Staal vs Phaneuf is an interesting debate, I suppose. Based on what they give their teams right now, I'd take Phaneuf for sure but I don't ever think Staal will throw the type of hissy fit Phaneuf did with the Flames, and that alone is reason to beware of the guy.

2. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Dion to me is like Mike Green. They both have a certain skill aspects that are amazing, but come pressure time, they fail .

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

dion was awesome when he started in calgary, then he sucked, then sucked when he got traded to the leafs but seems to have grown up a bit and is doing far better this season. i wouldn't put him on a top d-man list, though.

that being said, calgary got absolutely fucking fleeced in that trade. shameful.

4. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

He's a top 20 dman in my book, but still far from the elite bracket and I don't think he'll ever get there either.

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

as soon as mrazek pulled a karlsson-esque fistpump after stopping that penalty shot and another after he got booed, i knew the game was going to turn south for him. still played a helluva match, but i don't feel bad for the guy getting lit up like that. wedgewood didnt really get tested but i really liked what i saw, especially with that monster pass that started off the 2nd goal.

6. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I can't remember the last time I saw a goalie make a pass that perfect.

7. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Speaking of goalie on the offense, did anyone see Cam Ward's "goal" against the Devils? lol

And is it me or is Claude Giroux just a dick. Watching 24/7 makes me hate him. What kind of a jhockey player is that hesitant about getting back into the line-up. What a pussy. I did like how when he asked Ott if he was taking the face-off, Ott told him he was 5th in the league, and to check NHL.com...lol

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

8. jarude

jarude Senior member

seriously. so nice

honestly, why dont we see any more hextall/brodeur/osgood hail marys? i remember growing up and goalies potting a couple goals per season; i actually cant remember the last time this happened.

247 downloading now :slayer:

9. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

It's just you cause you're a hate-filled Rangers fan, haha. How was Giroux a dick? He just wanted to make sure he wasn't going to hinder the team. That's why he talked to Laviolette before hand, cause he wasn't sure how he responded in the full contact practice.

The Ott scene was great, and I had to check NHL.com to see if he won a few faceoffs, haha.

10. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Cause goalies are somewhat restricted due to the trapezoid behind the net.

11. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I don't now if its this so much or if teams are more capable of punishing mistakes that goalies can't chance it anymore. I remember in the first season after the lockout, Henrik tried it against the Flyers being up two goals, he gave the puck away and the Flyers scored. Thankfully we won and he was able to laugh it off afterwards...

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

contrast to rupp who said in ep 2 that he wouldn't wait to be 100%, he would just want to get out there and do his thing as well as he can as soon as possible.

didnt think about the trapezoid...

13. gort

gort Senior member

Giroux a dick by not wanting to hold his team back if he's not ready? Whaa?

14. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

After the trapezoid, teams focused on dumping the puck into the corners so that goalies like Marty couldn't stroll out and get them. Before, it was just dump in blindly and chase.

I understand, but they are two completely different players with set roles on the team. Giroux is a stud... you don't want him ending up like Sid.

15. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Rangers fans wouldn't understand :D