• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Lucic suspensions was basically Shanahan telling Lucic to quit thugging it up. Good idea, but why not wait until he actually does something worthy of a suspension and then give him a few more to drive the point home? It's been done before and I have no issue with it. But as it stands, Lucic just got a game for hitting some guy with what appeared to be a clean hit that didn't come close to resulting in an injury. In fact, the "victim" immediately jumped up and kicked Nathan Horton's ass. Didn't seem like he was too hurt.
I agree that Shanahan is losing it. He has lost his focus and he has gone from giving fairly objective decisions to completely subjective decisions.

You think Lucic's hit on Rinaldo was clean?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah, that third goal was filthy.
glad to see the WJC team pull it off. boone jenner is from my hometown :slayer: they better not **** the bed this year. they should make ryan ellis and jordan eberle go through a time machine and play in the juniors again...

I'm going to the Canada - Finland match on boxing day. Can't wait!

Sancho Panzo Christ

Reaction score
can't wait for the detroit-vancouver game on wednesday night. van came to detroit earlier in the year and lost, but they had played the night before so it doesn't really count.

also, i think the league should step in and force vancouver to wear those black and yellow jerseys they wore in the 1980's. i think they look badass.

Siwash

Reaction score

Sedin's magic continues from the Toronto game against the best defensive team in the league doubling the Wild's GAA per game with a 4-goal shutout win.
Three beautiful plays by the Sedins.

Can you imagine the hoopla about these guys if they were Canadian?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
The current gong show surrounding Randy Cunnyworth's inability to speak french is the result of a small, vocal fringe of Quebec's population (mostly politicians and language right nuts) shrieking and making a nuisance out of a language issue. Most hockey fans, both french and english, want a coach that can win hockey games, period. If he speaks french, that's great. But we want a winner above all else.
Thank you.

http://yfrog.com/mnf2jhj

abso-*******-lutely unbelievable; and quebec wonders why the rest of canada thinks they're assholes.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score

Can you imagine the hoopla about these guys if they were Canadian?
Before the scoring titles they never got the hype they deserved largely because no one outside of the Van market watched them consistently. If all you see is highlights you miss the mind-boggling crap that happens on an every-game basis, like this. [VIDEO][/VIDEO] Other times you just don't look closely enough at a play to see how absurd it actually is. [/video] That is a no-look behind the back bank pass to a no-look one-timer flip pass ably knocked out of mid-air by Burrows. No big deal. And some goals just no one pays attention to because I guess the time zones dictate it. Case in point, game last seasons between Sharks-Canucks, and this didn't even make highlight of the night. [video] When these guys retire someone is going to compile every insane, video-game-level reality-altering stunt they pulled off and it's going to be mindblowing. I can't even find this one highlight of Daniel using Burrows as a screen by flipping a lob-shot over his head and in from almost at the blue line, goalie never saw it. How do you even think "hey you know what might work here?" in that situation... ridiculous. Anyway here's 10 more good ones, though they're not actually the top 10 since this was obviously made before the end of 2010 and the "what the hell was that" goal versus the flames. [/video] EDIT: And because I'm such a homer and can't get enough of this stuff I can't help but add this personal fave. [video]

Last edited:

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

abso-*******-lutely unbelievable; and quebec wonders why the rest of canada thinks they're assholes.

:laugh: Yes, I think every Canadian I know would agree. This whole issue is -- for lack of a better phrase -- completely ******* marsupialed.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean no disrespect, but most of the ROC conveniently forget that without Quebec their country would be a cultural afterthought on the international stage. Quebec has pretty much carried the ROC on its back in terms of culture (both high and low) for most of the last century. So every time I hear Western Canadians bitching about spoiled Quebec, I ask them to name me their three most widely known cultural exports, to which they answer:

1. ?????
2. ?????
3. ?????

Nuff said.

What does this have to do with hockey? Not a whole lot, obviously but this whole debate surrounding language and the head coaching positions of the Habs (though admittedly ridiculous) does underline why the ROC should mind its own business when it comes to Quebec's social issues -- because they don't know the province, they don't know the language, they don't know the people, and basically they don't know ****.

If you really want to see me lose it, send over a Calgarian to lecture me on how Quebec is a bratty thorn in Canada's side.

Last edited:

Siwash

Reaction score

I mean no disrespect, but most of the ROC conveniently forget that without Quebec their country would be a cultural afterthought on the international stage. Quebec has pretty much carried the ROC on its back in terms of culture (both high and low) for most of the last century. So every time I hear Western Canadians bitching about spoiled Quebec, I ask them to name me their three most widely known cultural exports, to which they answer:
1. ?????http://www.imdb.com/search/name?birth_place=Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
2. ????? Sara McLachlan/Bryan Adams
3. ?????Michael Buble
Nuff said.
What does this have to do with hockey? Not a whole lot, obviously but this whole debate surrounding language and the head coaching positions of the Habs (though admittedly ridiculous) does underline why the ROC should mind its own business when it comes to Quebec's social issues -- because they don't know the province, they don't know the language, they don't know the people, and basically they don't know ****.
If you really want to see me lose it, send over a Calgarian to lecture me on how Quebec is a bratty thorn in Canada's side.

Last edited:

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Okay Vancouver was enough of an answer because the sheer volume of stuff that gets filmed there is huge, but the three musicians you listed are embarassing. Though at least you didn't list Nickelback. Better off with the Guess Who (Winnipeg), the Tragically Hip (Kingston) ... more recently Feist (Nova Scotia) or Metric (Toronto)... How about comedians, Mike Myers or John Candy or Jim Carrey? Actors, Michael J. Fox, Rick Moranis or Michael Cera?

Wait wait wait... what the hell are Quebec's cultural exports anyway?

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. ?????
2. ?????
3. ?????
Nuff said.

If you want "nuff said," maybe we can talk about how not a soul in Quebec wanted to put their money where their mouth was and buy the team when things got rough in 2000, instead letting an American businessman own an 80% stake for nearly 10 years.

The irony of your post is that you stereotype "ROC" just as I've been stereotyping Quebec. Obviously, the majority of Quebecers aren't assholes, its just clowns like this guy who create a bad name for everyone. I can understand and appreciate that there are particular sociocultural issues specific to the province, but there is a fair amount of unjustified assholery that gets spilled out on non-Francophones because of this. This vocal minority seems to speak very highly of their rights but very little of their responsibilities; in the case of Thibodeau maybe they didnt have any ******* 7up on the plane. Maybe he should have been grateful that the stewardess understood him and brought him a Sprite since there wasn't any 7up. But no, this turns into a lawsuit where his rights have been violated and he went through extreme psychological trauma... ugh, what an embarassment. You'd be hard pressed to find anybody in their right mind who thought that wasn't either a case of ****-disturbing or cash grabbing. What would happen if I sued after ordering a Coke en anglais at a restaraunt and was brought a Pepsi instead? The entire pro-Francophone establishment would be thirsting for my blood.

This has as much to do with hockey as your example, but if Quebecers want their sociocultural issues to be seen as anything other than a mockery, then this franco-fascist movement has to die. To have politicians bitching about the Habs not having a French-speaking coach when the absence of a local buyer, a lack of government subsidies and the tax system in Quebec nearly choked the Habs out of existence is ******* infuriatingly and unbelievably ignorant and arrogant.

Okay Vancouver was enough of an answer because the sheer volume of stuff that gets filmed there is huge, but the three musicians you listed are embarassing. Though at least you didn't list Nickelback. Better off with the Guess Who (Winnipeg), the Tragically Hip (Kingston) ... more recently Feist (Nova Scotia) or Metric (Toronto)... How about comedians, Mike Myers or John Candy or Jim Carrey? Actors, Michael J. Fox, Rick Moranis or Michael Cera?

ROCH VOISINE
and uhh Celine Dion

Last edited:

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you have to ask, you either don't know or don't care.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads