NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Kajak

Kajak Senior member

FTFY

2. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Ah yes...how could I forget Don.

Cherry does, however, make a few good points over and over again, namely: Pads being too hard, no-touch icing, and uselessness of instigator. He actually knows the game, he's just a total loon/borderline racist. Edwards and the Steigerwalds are just clowns and retards.

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

i still unashamedly love don cherry and will be beyond upset when he passes away. the only thing i had a problem with was when he called out stu grimson and co. but he apologized and that was that. i love me some good old canadian boy close-mindedness (0). :nodding:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

4. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

See I don't notice Cherry's homerism that much, it's not terribly overt. He's usually talking about a particular player or a particular play and no specific team (well maybe the Leafs but it's CBC) gets top billing.

This Stiegerwald guy, it's okay to be a homer if you're up front about it. John Garrett is a good example, don't listen to him if you're not a Canuck fan because he'll get on your nerves but it's unabashed. Stiegerwald expressed dramatic shock and dismay at he or his brother being referred to as homers when at least his brother, everyone knows he's a homer. It's not a matter of dispute. Jack Edwards, meanwhile, is over the line, yelling at players to get up etc. I mean, your home guy might occasionally see a penalty as the other team "embellishing" but that's different than HAMRLIK GOES DOWN AS IF SHOT!

Unrelated note from a homer: if you want to see some pretty passing plays watch the highlights from the Colorado Avalanche vs. Harlem Globetrotters game tonight. Canucks had zero business being in that game and not only did they win, they won 6 to nothing. Leading to the question, if your goaltenders COMBINE for a shutout, who gets the shutout? The guy with more saves, or the goaltender of record?

Also, Booth injured on a really ugly knee on knee from Porter. Since headshots and goalie-running are the political hot topics, and not kneeing penalties, I doubt this gets a suspension - also you give him the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't intentional, just negligent. But maybe those plays should be suspendable, since that's just as dangerous a play as an elbow to the head and just as careless and avoidable. The disciplinary process is very political right now. Hopefully the injury isn't as bad as it looked on the play.

5. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

6. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

I'm pretty sure I read that a while back in a rulebook:

• The goalie that is in goal for the game winning goal would be the winner of the game.
    • The goalie that is in for the game losing goal will get the loss.
    • If it was a tie, like years back, then the goalie who started is credited for the no-decision.

Again, the rules might have changed a bit.

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

i remember being a kid around the time rock em sock em 6 was out, mid 90's hockey and kneeing was the most taboo unsportsmanlike thing, up there with two-handing a guy in the face. maybe it was just drilled into me by my minor league coaches...

8. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Yes this determines who the goalie of record is, but I wasn't sure if the shutout simply followed the win.

9. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

From NHL.com

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

10. jarude

jarude Senior member

my money is that its just precautionary reasons, after 10 months out im sure any kind of anything would be reason enough to stay out.

that being said, i hope he's more of a bergeron than a lindros.

11. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I have a feeling he's done / won't last in the league much longer.

12. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Fistric suspension is complete garbage. There was nothing wrong with that hit. IIHF level crap.

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

he pretty clearly jumped into that one, i dont have an issue with it.

14. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

He left his feet simultaneously with contact. That's not jumping into it. Shanahan's thing was all "oh we know hard hits generally pop you off the ice but the degree to which he left his feet was..." shut the fuck up, you're saying the force of the contact bumped him too high? It literally is a "you hit him too hard" situation.

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

simutaneous with contact: rome leaves his feet as a result of the hit

jumping into it: fistric quite clearly jumps into him. big difference between that and hipchecking him into the boards which he legally could have.

all you shanahaters bitch if he doesn't suspend, and bitch if he does suspend. you guys want an objective standard along certain guidelines - head contact, feet leaving, unsuspecting, whatever it is - and now you bitch when he suspends based on those guidelines. the only way you're going to set a standard or any kind of guideline is if you enact discipline along those criteria. did he leave his feet? yes. is that one of the suspendable criteria the league is looking at? yes. in the most objective, black/white way possible, somebody committed a suspendable offence and is getting suspended for it. factor in the thin-skull principle that is evidently being applied from nino getting concussed and there you have it

i really dont understand all the shit shanny's getting; there are going to be questionable judgements simply because they fit into the criteria. shit happens. i promise you'd feel different if a sedin was in nino's spot and got laid out.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011