• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this is a sensible post. I wasn't thrilled about the amount they signed Markov to either. I don't have a problem with them actually signing him, though.
The Steigerwald/Lambert interview was an absolute disgrace. Guys like the Steigerwalds, Jack Edwards, Cherry, et al. are a black eye for hockey. And I'm sick of Pens/Boston fans saying "If you don't like them, just don't watch the broadcasts!" It extends farther than their own markets, unfortunately, and it makes all of hockey look like a bush league.

FTFY

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah yes...how could I forget Don.

Cherry does, however, make a few good points over and over again, namely: Pads being too hard, no-touch icing, and uselessness of instigator. He actually knows the game, he's just a total loon/borderline racist. Edwards and the Steigerwalds are just clowns and marsupials.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i still unashamedly love don cherry and will be beyond upset when he passes away. the only thing i had a problem with was when he called out stu grimson and co. but he apologized and that was that. i love me some good old canadian boy close-mindedness (0). :nodding:

Last edited:

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score

Ah yes...how could I forget Don.

See I don't notice Cherry's homerism that much, it's not terribly overt. He's usually talking about a particular player or a particular play and no specific team (well maybe the Leafs but it's CBC) gets top billing.

This Stiegerwald guy, it's okay to be a homer if you're up front about it. John Garrett is a good example, don't listen to him if you're not a Canuck fan because he'll get on your nerves but it's unabashed. Stiegerwald expressed dramatic shock and dismay at he or his brother being referred to as homers when at least his brother, everyone knows he's a homer. It's not a matter of dispute. Jack Edwards, meanwhile, is over the line, yelling at players to get up etc. I mean, your home guy might occasionally see a penalty as the other team "embellishing" but that's different than HAMRLIK GOES DOWN AS IF SHOT!

Unrelated note from a homer: if you want to see some pretty passing plays watch the highlights from the Colorado Avalanche vs. Harlem Globetrotters game tonight. Canucks had zero business being in that game and not only did they win, they won 6 to nothing. Leading to the question, if your goaltenders COMBINE for a shutout, who gets the shutout? The guy with more saves, or the goaltender of record?

Also, Booth injured on a really ugly knee on knee from Porter. Since headshots and goalie-running are the political hot topics, and not kneeing penalties, I doubt this gets a suspension - also you give him the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't intentional, just negligent. But maybe those plays should be suspendable, since that's just as dangerous a play as an elbow to the head and just as careless and avoidable. The disciplinary process is very political right now. Hopefully the injury isn't as bad as it looked on the play.

Last edited:

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Leading to the question, if your goaltenders COMBINE for a shutout, who gets the shutout? The guy with more saves, or the goaltender of record?

I'm pretty sure I read that a while back in a rulebook:

• The goalie that is in goal for the game winning goal would be the winner of the game.
  • The goalie that is in for the game losing goal will get the loss.
  • If it was a tie, like years back, then the goalie who started is credited for the no-decision.

Again, the rules might have changed a bit.

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i remember being a kid around the time rock em sock em 6 was out, mid 90's hockey and kneeing was the most taboo unsportsmanlike thing, up there with two-handing a guy in the face. maybe it was just drilled into me by my minor league coaches...

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure I read that a while back in a rulebook:
  • The goalie that is in goal for the game winning goal would be the winner of the game.
  • The goalie that is in for the game losing goal will get the loss.
  • If it was a tie, like years back, then the goalie who started is credited for the no-decision.
Again, the rules might have changed a bit.

Yes this determines who the goalie of record is, but I wasn't sure if the shutout simply followed the win.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From NHL.com

The Pittsburgh Penguins announced Wednesday that captain Sidney Crosby will sit out the next two games for precautionary reasons.

Crosby, who has 2 goals and 12 points in eight games this season, did not accompany the team as it left Pittsburgh today to start a two-game road trip in Philadelphia and New York.

"Sidney took a hard hit during our game against Boston Monday night and wasn't feeling 100 percent," Penguins general manager Ray Shero told the team's official website Wednesday. "He saw Dr. Micky Collins of UPMC today and took an ImPACT test, which showed no problems. However, we all think it's best that he sits out the next two games as a precaution."

Crosby practiced Wednesday and also did a radio interview on a Pittsburgh sports station and did not mention an injury in either instance.

Last edited:

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my money is that its just precautionary reasons, after 10 months out im sure any kind of anything would be reason enough to stay out.

that being said, i hope he's more of a bergeron than a lindros.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling he's done / won't last in the league much longer.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he pretty clearly jumped into that one, i dont have an issue with it.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
He left his feet simultaneously with contact. That's not jumping into it. Shanahan's thing was all "oh we know hard hits generally pop you off the ice but the degree to which he left his feet was..." shut the **** up, you're saying the force of the contact bumped him too high? It literally is a "you hit him too hard" situation.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
simutaneous with contact: rome leaves his feet as a result of the hit

jumping into it: fistric quite clearly jumps into him. big difference between that and hipchecking him into the boards which he legally could have.

all you shanahaters ***** if he doesn't suspend, and ***** if he does suspend. you guys want an objective standard along certain guidelines - head contact, feet leaving, unsuspecting, whatever it is - and now you ***** when he suspends based on those guidelines. the only way you're going to set a standard or any kind of guideline is if you enact discipline along those criteria. did he leave his feet? yes. is that one of the suspendable criteria the league is looking at? yes. in the most objective, black/white way possible, somebody committed a suspendable offence and is getting suspended for it. factor in the thin-skull principle that is evidently being applied from nino getting concussed and there you have it

i really dont understand all the **** shanny's getting; there are going to be questionable judgements simply because they fit into the criteria. **** happens. i promise you'd feel different if a sedin was in nino's spot and got laid out.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads