1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

"Only the Lord saves more than Bernie Parent" He's back......

2. gort

gort Senior member

I played hockey with Peter Bondra this morning at the US Naval Academy. :bigstar:

I play goalie....he schooled me. Was very fun.

3. Siwash

Siwash Senior member

That's awesome...he was an awesome player!

4. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Are you on the East Coast and do you play for them?

5. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

Wow, that's amazing. Wonder how fast he was going...

6. gort

gort Senior member

I live in Virginia. I just play men's league now, I got the invite through my older brother who is a golfing buddy of his.

7. gort

gort Senior member

Right now on the NHL network they have the outdoor Kings/Rangers game on that was played in Las Vegas. Man this brings back some memories seeing Hrudey and Beezer (on the rangers!).

8. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

I always liked Hrudey as a player and he isn't bad as an analyst either. He does well getting his point across surrounded by absolutely fucking morons on CBC.

9. Lord-Barrington

Is it just me or 90% of the hits thrown in the WJC illegal? All I see are guys leaving their feet and leading with the elbow. Boone Jenner threw on in the first period vs. Finland that would have warranted a visit to Shanahan's office if he was in the NHL.

On the flipside, these guys aren't nearly as big as the average NHLer so there aren't as many terrible injuries either following these types of hits, but still...

On another note, I find it a bit lame how hyped Canada is for the WJC while the rest of the world couldn't give a shit.

My whining won't keep me from commenting on what I've noticed so far:

- I haven't really noticed Granlund, but his team is getting thumped so not a whole lot can be expected.

- Brendan Gallagher looks really good. He reminds me of Brad Marchand but without the stupid penalties and shitty attitude.

- Dougie Hamilton is an interesting prospect. His play is pretty fluid for a guy his size and I like how he moves the puck. He still seems a bit skinny, though.

- Ditto for Beaulieu who seems super skinny as well.

- Huberdeau looks like he is going to score a ton of goals in the NHL, but he has a Benoit Pouliot vibe about him (looks great when no one is around him) that worries me.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  10. jarude

jarude Senior member

poor gibson. i like how ferarro said he would probably end up with PTSD after this game; he should've been gone after 4 or 5. 8 is just nasty.

hell of a game to go to stazy :slayer:

11. Lord-Barrington

Yeah, not pulling your goalie after 4-5 unanswered is kind of bush league.

I facepalm hard when Canadians get excited over WJC blowouts though. Finland isn't exactly a good junior club.

This tournament realistically has three potential winners (Sweden, Canada, Russia) with the USA being a real distant possibility. Everyone else is just cannon fodder.

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Well, haven't been following this thread, but my Rangers are in first in their division at XMas, and I was at some Garden Party tonight...fit pic:
    [​IMG]

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

awesome. good to see your boy cleared for contact, too. have you been following 24/7?

14. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Yeah, it was fun. Totally different atmosphere than the NHL. What surprised me the most was the 50-50...It was close to 70 grand.

I know the manager for the Ilves hockey club in Tampere, Finland (3 of his players on on the team) and his opinion of their junior program is that while their players are skilled, they're easily intimidated by the more physical play of Canadians. Definitely rang true today. They were quite literally run over.

15. Lord-Barrington

Finland has won some bronzes in the past but they're basically in the Czech Republic category -- not as bad as Latvia or Switzerland, but still not nearly good enough to compete with Canada, Russia and (depending on the year) Sweden and the USA.

WJC will be the same thing it usually is this year -- Sweden, Canada, and Russia rolling over teams until the finals and then Canada blowing a lead to one of those two teams and everyone melting down and questioning our fortitude as a country based on the play of a bunch of 19 year old kids.

16. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Yea, he's still a was out, especially with our d playing so well. No need to rush him back and risk another injury because hes not in game shape. 24/7 RULES. Best scene in the first two episodes so far is when Avery was the first to walk into the dressing room after Anisimov's Sniper celebration against TB. He just looks at him smirking shaking his head and Arty is sitting there with that "I'm a kid who just got yelled at by the teacher but I still think its funny smile" on.

17. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

For those who watch hockey on CBC: [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

18. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

19. Lord-Barrington

Hahahaha! Don Cherry -- giving us great material even when he doesn't intend to.

20. Lord-Barrington

Watching the Habs play and, yes, they are awful. But an interesting thing I've noticed when trying to put my finger on why they look terrible and the most glaring thing -- and I think this is shared by every team playing bad hockey -- is that they've stopped skating. It's as simple as that but it's amazing the difference it makes when a team doesn't move its feet.

EDIT: They're actually up 2-1 but that's on 3 shots and they still look terrible. And they're not moving their feet.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011