NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by NewYorkIslander, Aug 1, 2011.

1. sonick

sonick Senior member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Haha I just stumbled across those pics today. Gawd she's sexy. Apparently she posted them on twitter but Wayne has since convinced her to shut down her account.

3. sonick

sonick Senior member

Who'd you rather... Paulina Gretzky or Alyonka Larianov.

Gretzky:
    [​IMG]

Larianov:
    [​IMG]

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

she's only 22, too. didnt expect the great one to have such a good looking daughter

5. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Paulina. Just because of who her dad is. lol

6. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

So James Neal gets a $2500 fine for a high stick that no one remembers and this is supposed to make us forget the Shanny fuck-up on the Pacioretty hit? What the hell?

This league is the biggest shit-show on earth.

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

you mean neal got fined 2500 for subban's slew foot :nodding:

8. Lord-Barrington

That wasn't much of a slew foot, but that's pretty much how it happened. Neal must be freakin' pissed. The NHL is a league of buffoons. On the ice, in the stands, and in the front office.

It's not stopping me from enjoying the Blueshirts vs. The Tankers tonight, though.

9. jarude

jarude Senior member

[​IMG]

looks like neal came down a little hard with the stick but given how he fell there isnt anything else he could do; the fact that he got fined for it was pretty bad.

i havent lost faith in shanahan quite just yet, i think overall he is coming down hard on the bad stuff. yeah, there's a few stinkers here or there, but if guys like patch get caught in the dragnet of headhits, its alright if the big picture is in focus. 100% he doesn't get suspended if letang didnt have a bloody/broken nose.

edit: to clarify, i think most of it comes down to the fact that it was a hit to the head that resulted in a broken nose. if a *gasp* headshot results in a broken nose, there should be a suspension. kind of like the thin-skull principle in law; you're on the hook for the damages you cause, regardless of how those damages would vary from person to person. a lot of people were furious that chara didnt get suspended for the patch hit simply due to the injuries sustained on the play, regardless of how legal/illegal the hit was.

10. Lord-Barrington

As I said, I don't have an issue with the Pacioretty suspension even though it's probably a game or two excessive. The real problem is with consistency. I don't think anyone knows what a suspendable hit is, which means were basically back to square one, right where we left off with Colin Campbell.

11. jarude

jarude Senior member

to a lesser extent though, that's pushing it a little far. generally speaking checks that hit the head are getting looked at, at the very least. while some that should have resulted in suspensions (neil v grabovski) have not, i think overall people know that if the head somehow gets affected, they're getting a phonecall. it'll be interesting to see the statistic trend across the next few years - are players going to change how they play? already i've seen a few guys chicken out from potential hits, which is good. some people may disagree with that, but eh... you cant eliminate headshots without taking out some legal checks, too.

gotta be realistic - he can't effectively establish a completely objective standard in 2 months, let alone a full season. its probably the most thankless, criticized and transparent job in the entire nhl, and he's never going to please everybody. is he doing more to reduce headshots/concussions? yeah. has he fucked up? yeah. to say he is on the same level as campbell is pushing it

12. Lord-Barrington

I don't really give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt because identifying what consitutes a rule 48 violation is fairly simple. When I say that Pacioretty hit live, I told my brother "he's probably getting suspended". And he did. Same thing with the Malone on Campoli hit, even though Malone didn't get suspended (which he should have).

Basically if you hit from the blindside and significant contact with the head is made, you should get suspended. How long can depend on other factors but there shouldn't be anyone getting off with no games for hits that are basically identical to hits that are warranting suspensions.

13. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Yes.

Yes. (A penalty MAY have been in order, just to enforce the idea that sticks must be kept away from the head no matter what, but not a fine.)

Yes.

14. gort

gort Senior member

Well it didn't take Boudreau long to land a new gig!

15. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Whoah, no kidding.