1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NFL's best dressed?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Coltrane3000, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Coltrane3000

Coltrane3000 New Member

2. Coltrane3000

Coltrane3000 New Member

3. Aaron

Aaron Distinguished Member

What is with pro athletes and incredibly high gorged suits? I'm not exactly sure but I think he is wearing a five button. French cuff shirt with jeans? Ugh...

4. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

"square toe?" yeah, awesome.

My favorite though is that he has two wedding bands. Presumably for when he wants to change up his look.

5. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

I like wearing French cuffed shirts with jeans...

6. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I saw this in my SI the other day and actually I think he looks pretty good.

I don't have a problem with 4 or 5 button suits, especially on someone who's 6'6" and 310 lbs - that's a lot of frame to cover.

You have to be impressed that he takes the time to work on his look and that he cares about the details.

So what if he has two wedding bands - I assume the one with the diamonds is for special occasions and the everyday platinum is one that he feels comfortable leaving in a visitors locker room while playing road games. Considering how many items such as watches, cufflinks, et al that many members of this forum have I find it hard to believe anyone is questioning that.

And hey - what's wrong with a french cuff shirt with jeans? Many people, myself included, have admitted to wearing this look and it's better than a hoodie.

As for the shoes - he's a size 17 - how much choice does he really have.

Finally the quote from his tailor pretty much says it all, "Richard is not flashy, but he doesn't want to look like he just walked out of Wall Street," says Smith. "He likes his clothes to have a little flavor."

All in all I say give the guy some credit.

Bradford

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

While I don't personally advocate that particular look to anyone under 6'5" and $250 and who is not a pro athelete, I say, "why not?" I'm going to get blasted for this, but I think that some guys can get away with flash, and he seems to be able to. I know no one who can do what Andre 3000 does either, but so what? These guys have more pizazz in their every step than a room full of Wall Street clones trying to look "respectable".

When I was in LA, I was always really impressed by the (black) guys who wore ghetto mustard pinstriped suits and Stacy Adams faux alligator shoes. Sure, the suits were, objectively, pieces of crap, as well all the accessories, but they looked put together somehow. It was them. It just goes to show that it is the man who makes the clothes and not the clothes who make the man.

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

his suit has pink pinstripes, hes wearing a pink tie, and his cufflinks are pink. Im sorry but thats just tacky.

9. LA Guy

That's part of the charm, imo. Totally over the top. Restraint is not in his vocabulary.

10. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

A man of that size must require at least 3.5-4 yards of cloth.  Here's guessing that construction is less than amazing even if the cutting and stiching is contracted to somewhere in Asia.

Ditto, just tacky.

That's my problem with Seymour's attire.  The football player isn't putting together the outfit--the "stylist" is providing his own interpretation of what looks good.

Ok, now I feel a bit sheepish.  Try adding a point to the OCD list.  You know you're "shoes obsessed" when a fair number of CALFSKIN models in your own wardrobe retail for more than the footwear worn by an NFL player.  Hmm, and technically I'm masquerading as a poor grad student.

11. AJL

AJL Distinguished Member

Frankly, I don't care what he wears; he plays like a motherf---er.

From the Pats website:

Seymour Named Patriots Best Dressed
    Although it hasn't created a media buzz quite yet, the latest Patriot to win an award is none other than defensive end Richard Seymour. If you haven't seen the current issue of Sports Illustrated, the magazine named Seymour the best dressed of the Patriots in its SI Players section. Seymour, who was a bit modest about the spread, said he hasn't seen issue but friends have called him about it.

"Well, it's tough to argue with the truth," Seymour joked about being the best-dressed Patriot.

According to Seymour, the nomination came about as the result of some background work by tight end Christian Fauria. It turns out Fauria has a friend at the publication who asked him who he would nominate among his teammates.

"Through the process of elimination it was [Seymour]," Fauria said. "It was a tight race. It was pretty even.  I didn't want to leave anybody out. People spend a lot of money on their clothes. Tom [Brady] was a candidate. Ted Johnson. Willie [McGinest] and Don Davis. But I stuck with Seymour. It was highly debated, but I had to make a call."

12. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior Member

I agree - there should be an article on how he's the best defensive lineman in football.

13. bestmastertailor

bestmastertailor Well-Known Member

I have a large roster of NFL players and most of them want unique looks and I have to keep a record of who has what to make sure that I don't make 2. Most of the players are well dressed and are usually required to wear coat and tie for all road games and most just go ahead and dress for home games becuase they like it. It's a better image for kids to aspire to than sweats and hoodies.

14. LA Guy

Ah, no love for the humble hoodie, as usual.

15. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

i don't see how that guy looks any different or dresses any better than the other nfl players. his clothes look 'typical.'

i do like how deion sanders dresses. he has a look that's well thought out and cohesive. not that i would wear that stuff myself, but the man truely has a signature style, and i admire that.