• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL Playoffs

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Being from WI I have to be a bit optimistic about the Pack, they are one of those teams that can beat anyone on any given day, but may also lose to anyone also... we'll see what happens. Philly's D looked REALLY weak last night.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Realistically, there are four teams that can win the Super Bowl: Pittsburgh, New England, Indianapolis, and Philadelphia.

Pittsburgh has a rookie QB.  New England's secondary is being held together by duct tape.  Philadelphia's offense is anemic without T.O.

This is Indy's year.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Drizz:

Me, too. Where in Cheeseland?

What about SD??

Indy seems destined with Manning breaking the record and all, but they're weak on defense...Which Pittsburgh and NE are not...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think San Diego is a realistic title contender as well, they are strong on defense and offense, and they have a better draw than Indianapolis as I think Pittsburgh is vulnurable to SD as they can pass and run and have a good defense. They will likely make it into the championship game but I don't think they can beat NE.

Steve,

I'm originally from Madison.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think San Diego is a realistic title contender as well, they are strong on defense and offense, and they have a better draw than Indianapolis as I think Pittsburgh is vulnurable to SD as they can pass and run and have a good defense.  They will likely make it into the championship game but I don't think they can beat NE.

Steve,

I'm originally from Madison.
Two words: Marty Schottenheimer.

koji

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I'm from Milwaukee... Everybody knows about you radicals from Madison. Â
devil.gif
Two words: Marty Schottenheimer.
Koji- 3 more words- Boston Red Sox. Perhaps this is the year all curses are released... Except for the well-deserved ones on the Chicago baseball teams (ducking projectiles from Windy City Forum Members). I admit to being biased toward the Bolts because of their cool uniforms and the fact that Brees, Tomlinson, and Gates have carried me to the title game in Fantasy Football.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ 28 Dec. 2004, 6:08) I think San Diego is a realistic title contender as well, they are strong on defense and offense, and they have a better draw than Indianapolis as I think Pittsburgh is vulnurable to SD as they can pass and run and have a good defense. They will likely make it into the championship game but I don't think they can beat NE. Steve, I'm originally from Madison.
Two words: Marty Schottenheimer. koji
This from an eagles fan...

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Thracozaag @ 28 Dec. 2004, 7:49)
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,28 Dec. 2004, 6:08
I think San Diego is a realistic title contender as well, they are strong on defense and offense, and they have a better draw than Indianapolis as I think Pittsburgh is vulnurable to SD as they can pass and run and have a good defense. Â They will likely make it into the championship game but I don't think they can beat NE. Steve, I'm originally from Madison.
Two words: Marty Schottenheimer. koji
This from an eagles fan...
AND a Chiefs fan (Marty has a career 30 PERCENT winning percentage in the playoffs). koji

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is Indy's year.
Amen brotha. Preach to the choir.

And Steve: Indy's defense gives up a lot of yards -- they are like last in the AFC in yards given up. But they are 5th or 6th from last in points given up. That is a significant stat. It says they are real tough in the Red Zone because of the type of defense Dungy likes to put together -- smaller fast guys like Dwight Freeny. And at the end of the day, it's points that wins, not yardage.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think those of you who discount Indy's chances because of its poor defense underestimate the effect of the NFL's rigid enforcement of the no-contact rule.  No longer can defenses (*cough* New England *cough*) mug receivers 15 yards down the field.  Add to that Manning's increased comfort level with receivers not named Marvin Harrison (he used to lock on Harrison, making it easy for defenses to slow Indy's offense down) and Edge's full recovery from injury, and the Colts are well-equipped to win a shootout no matter how many points their defense gives up.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think those of you who discount Indy's chances because of its poor defense underestimate the effect of the NFL's rigid enforcement of the no-contact rule.  No longer can defenses (*cough* New England *cough*) mug receivers 15 yards down the field.  Add to that Manning's increased comfort level with receivers not named Marvin Harrison (he used to lock on Harrison, making it easy for defenses to slow Indy's offense down) and Edge's full recovery from injury, and the Colts are well-equipped to win a shootout no matter how many points their defense gives up.
Good points. I repeat my thoughts -- they don't give up that many points relative to the yardage they yield.

Apart from everything else, they are just fun to watch. As fun a team to watch in years. Unfortunately, living in S. Florida, I get treated to a weekly diet of Dolphins, and have only seen my Colts 2-3 times this year.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Illegal contact is still enforced very sparingly, and it's only a 5 yard penalty. NE is going to play the game the way they've always played it, and if they get penalized, they'll just shrug and continue playing it the same way, no ref is going to continuously call illegal contact penalties in the playoffs, especially at Gillette. I think the penalties have caused slightly more offensive performance, but I also think the addition of Stokley has enhanced the Colts offense quite a bit more. After their bye, with a healthy Law in the and Samuel in the secondary and with Pittsburgh hamstrung, I think NE is definitely the team to beat... Indy can't stop their running game and Brady will burn them if they put 8 men in the box... also Indy is McGinest's *****, he always seems to make a play to beat them.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's remember that the St. Louis Rams were able to win a championship when their defense was just as porous as Indy. At that point, they just relied on the fact that their offense was scoring more points than their defense was giving up.

As for NE, it doesn't have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. They were able to steal that conference championship game against the Raiders because of the snow and that horrible call by the officals. I don't know if the officials give NE cornerbacks the benefit of the doubt again, and let them mug the opposing wide receivers after all the criticism last year.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They will have homefield throughout after Pitt loses in the divisional round.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads