• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL Playoffs

enderz

Reaction score
Illegal contact is still enforced very sparingly, and it's only a 5 yard penalty. NE is going to play the game the way they've always played it, and if they get penalized, they'll just shrug and continue playing it the same way, no ref is going to continuously call illegal contact penalties in the playoffs, especially at Gillette.
Dude, the reason why they started enforcing the rule at all is because of the mugging that occured on that field last year. Of course they're going to enforce it.

stevo4

Reaction score
For fun, every year i visit my sister and nephew in Vegas before the season starts. They think its to visit them, its really to place my bets for the superbowl.

I place $5 on a bunch of long shots and $10 on a couple of 'more probable' chances, including my NE Pats.

Here was my picks this year. The first number is what i put down as a bet, and the second number is what i would win if the team won the SB.

Patriots - $20-$160.
Colts - $10-130
Panthers - $10-$240
Saints - $5-265
Browns - $5-$285
Chargers - $5 -$505
Texans - $5- $305
Cardinals - $5 - $755
Lions - $5- $355

When the Texans played for the first season, i think the $5 payout was something like $2100. Wouldn't that have been fun.

Go Pats. (or Chargers hee hee).

stevo

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
enderz, how many games that the patriots played this year have been decided by the illegal contact penalties? They were 14-2 last year, and they will be 14-2 this year, illegal contact nonwithstanding, looks like it made a HUGE difference. They easily could have been 16-0 this year if Dillon wasn't hurt and if Brady didn't make a rookie mistake, but IMO they are still a huge favorite to win the SB. Getting Ty Law back will be huge. stevo, I won $10k in 2001 on a similar bet, laid $100 and it paid 100:1. I won $6800 last year on the same bet after the 31-0 bills pounding in Week 1
smile.gif
The Bills would probably have been something like 200:1 after starting 0-4, that would have been a sweet SB pick (even though they may not even make the playoffs)

stevo4

Reaction score
Drizz,

I'm not totally clear on your bets. Are you saying you were able to make a bet on a particular game that paid an xxx:1? or a SB bet. All the single game bets i see listed on the sheets in vegas are the lay 11 to win 10 scenario. I prefer the former odds situation so i can spread my money around more and 'hope' for a big payoff.

Please clarify, incase i may have misunderstood.

thanks, stevo

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, they are proposition bets, similar to the ones that you laid, in which you bet a certain amount prior to the season or at a certain point in the season, that a given team will win the superbowl.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my friend put down two rather sizeable bets for darkhorse Superbowl teams at the beginning of the season:

Jax (bleah)

Pittsburgh (woohoo.)

koji

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ 28 Dec. 2004, 10:24)
Originally Posted by Thracozaag,28 Dec. 2004, 7:49
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,28 Dec. 2004, 6:08
I think San Diego is a realistic title contender as well, they are strong on defense and offense, and they have a better draw than Indianapolis as I think Pittsburgh is vulnurable to SD as they can pass and run and have a good defense. Â They will likely make it into the championship game but I don't think they can beat NE. Steve, I'm originally from Madison.
Two words: Marty Schottenheimer. koji

This from an eagles fan...
AND a Chiefs fan (Marty has a career 30 PERCENT winning percentage in the playoffs). koji
CHOKENHEIMMER STRIKES AGAIN..... AHHHHHH.... koji

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Koji kalled this one.

What a bonehead.

But you gotta give him credit for the turnaround.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not his fault his kicker can't hit a 37 yard FG, should be automatic from that range.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As were the THREE (count 'em THREE) kicks that Lin Elliot missed in KC's loss to INdy at home in '97.  Once again, Marty's uberconservative game plan dooms another wonderful playoff team.

Blame Marty; this is a broken record I've heard far too many times.

koji

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Drizz:

IMO he screwed up his team's momentum on 2 occasions- when he went on the field and got the penalty, and calling 3 straight running plays before the kick.

But I agree w/u on the kick itself...

And it's easy to be a Monday (or Sunday) AM QB...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going on the field wasn't a good idea, but I didn't have a problem with his game management leading up to the kick, throwing it in the rain could have led to an INT and what would his critics be saying then?

The only thing I would have done was to have kicked the FG on 3rd down incase it was blocked.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Well the Pack looked pretty sorry...

Bet Sherman's doing some house hunting too.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the Pack looked pretty sorry...

Bet Sherman's doing some house hunting too.
Yikes; I didn't see Green Bay laying such an egg--and AT HOME, no less. Ouch.

koji

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What freaks me out is that Manning damn near put up 500 passing yards on a pretty well-respected Denver defense.

He would have done it too, if the Colts had not played the 2nd half in neutral.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads