1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NFL coach openings

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by drizzt3117, Jan 5, 2005.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Who would you pick for coaches for either of these teams?

49ers:

Ferentz, Stoops, Fassel, Crennel, Holmgren?

Browns:

?

I think the 49ers should offer Holmgren the GM/coach title, he'd probably take it, he's from SF and was pissed that he lost control over Personnel in Seattle, and his team looks to be at least partially dismantled after this season... and they have the money to sign both Hasselbeck and Alexander... that'd be a pretty interesting situation if it happened...kinda like the Curtis Martin situation.

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

I like the idea of The Washington Post's Michael Wilbon: draft Leinart (no matter what he says now, there's no way he's staying) and hire Norm Chow.

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Distinguished Member

I hope the Iggles' coordinators don't jump ship, Childress and Johnson. Philly Inq. article

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Does Chow have any NFL coaching experience? I think I'd want him as a coordinator first or at least a college coach before I hired him to coach a NFL franchise, but the idea is intriguing nonetheless. Certainly he couldn't do any worse than Erickson did, and if they did pick up Leinart, the offense would probably be better than under Ken Dorsey... ugh.

Childress was the OC for Wisconsin and wasn't highly regarded, I think his success had as much to do with Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb than his own talent.

5. Ambulance Chaser

Chow has no NFL coaching experience.  I would modify Wilbon's suggestion in the following way: hire Chow as the OC, make him the highest-paid at that position, and give him complete control over play-calling.  That should test whether he has the right stuff to be the head guy.

6. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Distinguished Member

That's basically the deal he has at USC now.  I don't think it has really proven anything other than the fact that he is the best OC in college football.

While he has had some opportunities, apparently not every college thinks he can hack it as a head coach in D1 football.  UH interviewed him years ago and passed, he left BYU because they weren't interested in giving him the head coaching spot, and Stanford interviewed him and passed this year.

7. Ambulance Chaser

Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser,05 Jan. 2005, 2:20
    Chow has no NFL coaching experience. Â I would modify Wilbon's suggestion in the following way: hire Chow as the OC, make him the highest-paid at that position, and give him complete control over play-calling. Â That should test whether he has the right stuff to be the head guy.
    That's basically the deal he has at USC now. Â I don't think it has really proven anything other than the fact that he is the best OC in college football. While he has had some opportunities, apparently not every college thinks he can hack it as a head coach in D1 football. Â UH interviewed him years ago and passed, he left BYU because they weren't interested in giving him the head coaching spot, and Stanford interviewed him and passed this year.
    I was referring to the 49ers hiring Chow as the OC. Â Due to the salary cap and free agency, becoming a top-flight coordinator in the NFL is much more difficult than becoming a top-flight coordinator in college football, and will certainly enhance Chow's attractiveness as a head coaching candidate (either pros or college) if a head coaching job is what he wants.

8. Ambulance Chaser

According to ESPN's Daily Quickie, Chow is being recruited by the Baltimore Ravens.

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

How about this... the 49ers can draft Leinart, and I'll coach them.

I'm at least as good as Dennis Erickson.