NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I'm not a huge Richard Sherman fan. I think he's a great player, has a lot of intelligence and seems like a good guy in the community, but I've never liked the guys who have to constantly talk about how great they are (Crabtree isn't close to the only person he's had an issue with / talked trash about). I think in his case he may need some of that swagger to psych him into being as good as he is but still...I saw an article awhile back about how his high school coach tried to tell him to stop the trash talking once, Sherman played a horrid first half and the coach gave up and realized that's just who he is. I think there are better ways to psych yourself up for a game, but I don't play professional football.

One thing that pissed me off with Sherman was his reference to a "BS holding call" when he apologized. If you play physical defense and grab jerseys, you are going to get flagged at times. The Seahawks have realized that they'll cause more problems for offenses with that style of play than they'll suffer for getting flagged. It's a smart strategy. Same with Denver's constant picks / offensive PI. It works and they know they'll get away with it. Nothing wrong with pushing the envelope a bit and seeing what you can get away with. Just don't whine when the flags come out at times.

2. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Even though Sherman gets a lot of credit for tipping the pass, Smith made a great play too. Usually, everyone just stops and watches the CB and WR fight for the ball on a fade route. Smith hustled to get himself in position to intercept the pass to end the game.

3. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

That's a good point. Withouth his hustle the 49ers could still have taken some shots at the end zone.

I like the Seahawks defense. They relay a lot of suffocating coverage from their CBs but activity by the safeties and LB corps makes it even more difficult to establish a passing game on them.

I still think Denver wins the SB, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an ugly win.

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Seattle no doubt practices a tip drill in anticipation of the very situation that occurred at the end of the game. The Seahawks defense has generated turnovers on a mind-boggling 20% of opponent possessions. Think about that: they take the ball away one out of every five drives. I think Seattle is going to need at least two turnovers in the Super Bowl to have a chance of winning. Manning is too dialed in right now just to play strong defense.

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I personally love Sherman, he talks trash and backs it up. Not everyone wants to hear the same old bullshit that Tom brady and manning say.

Seattle is just a beast team. Who you got for the superbowl? I'm torn really

7. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I assume most of you saw the NFL Bad Lip Reading last year () but they just released another one:

8. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Senior member

Probably overstated when I say I hate the guy when he opens his mouth. Hate what comes out...as I am not a big trash talking fan. That said you are right he backs it up most of the time.

He is a smart guy who does a lot in the community and even graced a school in the Vancouver burbs last year.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Seahawks+Sherman+schools+Surrey+kids/8218973/story.html

I do believe Seattle can do this as this will be the toughest D that Denver has faced and that may prove the difference. Total biased fan saying that though.

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

HURRY HURRY

10. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

I want to watch Peyton Manning choke in another big game.

11. thinman

thinman Senior member

I'm a big fan of Richard Sherman as a player, but I hate his trash talking. I think his trash talking is not only his personality, but he's also smart enough to know that it's good marketing. He's put himself squarely in the pre-Super Bowl spotlight (and gotten at least one commercial from talking smack after the 9ers game).

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:angry:

13. in stitches

Whos stoked for the pro bowl? Team Rice or team Sanders?

14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Can't tell if joke or not. I will admit that I'm going to watch for the first time in years to see how this pickup game format plays out.

15. in stitches

Was joke. If Im home with nothing else to do Ill watch some of it.

I think they are on the right track, but its still a work in progress.