1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I would have rolled with McCown for a few years to be honest. Spend that money on the defense and be on the lookout for a young QB.

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1. Tag Cutler and trade him to someone dumb enough to give you the draft picks.

I also don't think Cutler is any better or worse than an Alex Smith type QB who is paid a good bit less. Chicago probably felt they had to offer a lot of money because of some dumb contracts out there for mediocre QBs (e.g. Stafford).

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

:eh:

McCown is 34 years old and ready to retire. The Bears will not be bad enough to get a franchise QB through the draft.

2 people like this.
  4. dcg

dcg Senior member

This is perhaps news to those in DC, but it is possible to select a franchise QB later than #2 overall! :hide:

1 person likes this.
  5. archibaldleach

Of the four best veteran QBs in the NFL right now (Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers), only one was the first overall pick in the draft. Rodgers went in the late first round, Brees went in the second round, and Brady went in the 6th round. An early first round pick does not promise you an elite QB nor does a later pick mean you will not get a franchise QB.

1 person likes this.
  6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

7. Nil

Nil Senior member

I'd say he's more in the 10-15 range than the top 10.

8. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Gilbride "retires." Thank you based front office.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Yes, nothing is guaranteed and teams occasionally get lucky with their QB picks. But the numbers don't lie: The vast majority of starting NFL QBs were high first-round draft picks. Why play QB lottery in the hopes of getting a franchise QB when you already have one on your roster? Put it another way, is there any QB in this year's draft you would rather have than Cutler?

1 person likes this.
  10. archibaldleach

I do agree that a high first round talent is more likely to have long-term success in the league than a player taken later in the draft and that there is a correlation but I'm not sure I'd agree that the vast majority of starting QBs are high first-round picks.

The question IMO w/r/t Cutler is would you rather have (i) Cutler or (ii) someone else plus a lot of extra money to spend on other players. I'd look at the opportunity cost of each million that you're spending. Cutler is probably getting in the ballpark of $18 million per year. You could sign McCown or another journeyman backup to a 1 year $2 million or less deal, get a rookie QB in the second round for $3 million a year and let him sit on the bench for a year to mature before being thrown into the fray and still have $13 million a year to spend upgrading other parts of your roster.

I firmly believe that unless a QB is truly at the elite level, and a vast majority of teams will not have an elite QB at a particular point in time, you are better off saving the salary differential and taking a QB that is not quite as good than paying close to elite money for a guy who is at best above average. You can get a decent game manager who protects the ball for $10 million or keep an elite QB for $20 million+ if you're lucky enough to have one. Paying in the $17 million to $20 million range for someone who isn't elite is crazy IMO.

11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

You should definitely include Sam Bradford (who plays for the Rams) in that list of "best veteran QBs" and he was the first pick of the draft. If the Bears knew what was good for them, they'd follow the Rams model.

12. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Bridgewater for potential or JFF for trainwreck entertainment. The amount of savings on the salary cap would be huge with those 2 guys over Cutler, probably in the $10-12M a year range, and you get significantly upgrade your roster with that money. That's basically how the Seahawks got so good. They hit on Wilson and used the savings of not paying top $ for a QB to really upgrade the team.

13. Wade

Wade Senior member

Why does everyone think manziel will be a bust

14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Because he is small, heavily dependent on his running and an asshole.

1 person likes this.
  15. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I'm probably in the minority but I want to see him do this in the NFL:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I really want to see JFF do shit like that also to troll the NFL. He trolled the NCAA with his autographs already now he needs to troll the NFL.

1 person likes this.
  17. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

He really did succeed in making the NCAA look foolish, I will give him that. That's probably more due to his handlers though.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  18. Ambulance Chaser

Short, with questionable arm strength. I see the next Ty Detmer. I hope I'm wrong.

19. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

He would probably be better suited as slot receiver.

20. cross22

cross22 Senior member

Sorry, but no way. He is good but not in the same tier as those 4.