NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Great MNF game.

Carolina looks like they have the talent and momentum to get into playoffs and advance.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i was following the end on my phone, and even that was fun. wish i could have watched the actual game though.

i thought it was not a great sign for carolina though how close NE came to wining that given only 59 seconds when they got the ball.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I don't know about that. If I'm rooting for almost any team against Brady and the Patriots, I'm worried if they're within a touchdown and have the ball with any time left on the clock. If you hold on for the win, you have to feel pretty good.

[VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

4. in stitches

oh, no doubt they are the last team you want to give the ball to with any time on the clock, and the fact is, carolina held on for the win. but when people start to talk about how staunch the carolina D is, i have to ask, how did they let it get that close at the end. a true staunch D would have done better to shut that down. pats and brady are tops at the last minute, but a great D should be able to battle that better i would think. ymmv maybe.

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

If that PI was called, the Pats would have won it. No way those guys fail on the 1-yard line.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Pats fault for getting themselves into that situation in the first place. They deserved the loss.

Also it wasn't Pass Interference... but it should have been called for Defensive Holding. Still not giving the Patriots a slam dunk TD. I think it would have moved them from a 23% chance win to a 30% chance to win.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Good job reading Bill Barnwell on grantland.com.

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Agreed. We cost ourselves at least 3 points with the Ridley fumble in FG range, possibly a TD instead of a FG before Mankins got that stupid penalty and god knows that Talib's personal fouls might have done to us. That and I'd have run the ball on 3rd and goal from the 1 seeing how well our rushing attack was doing then. Even one additional FG would have meant a FG would have been enough to win it and Gotkowski is not missing a sub-40 yarder.

Patriots have a good but not elite offense this year; means they can't expect to overcome these mistakes against a good team and still win.

Well, once they picked up the flag the Pats had a 0% chance of winning. So we're looking at something with a 30% chance of affecting the outcome of a game.

10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I always thought that McNabb had limitations as a player (inaccurate, choked in big games, thought he was too good for practice and coaching), but was a standup guy who took undeserved abuse. This story puts him in a whole new light for me.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Lol I would be embarrassed to be bullied by Donovan McNabb. At least Jonathan Martin was bullied by someone more badass

Also, isn't there a way for him to make the bullying stop? Like, let's say, forgetting to block Michael Strahan? You'd have to be an idiot to antagonize the people whose job it is to help you retain all your teeth

13. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Getting bullied in an environment like that is not easy. Locker rooms, military barracks etc are all so insulated its easy to feel trapped.

Also, I think that this type of stuff isn't that big of a problem but I will take any opportunity to prove that the Eagles are a stupid organization.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

14. in stitches

never liked mcnabb. good on eli for being a mentch.

also, considering the very high number of huge ego-ed, alpha male, still in HS jocks, in professional sports, all these stories of harassment and what not are not even remotely surprising to me. not condoning it in any way, but i would say its pretty much what i would have expected.

15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Understandable.