• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL 2016-17 Thread

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

He's had avg of like 10 carries a game...

so why did Philbin give him only 10 cpg when he was the only legit RB on the roster entering the season? There are durability concerns but he clearly fell out of favor. This new guy Campbell will probably give him a chance for a few games though.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: He's missed like a handful of games in his career total so I'm not sure where the durability concerns are. Giving him only a few touches a game is more on the coaching staff, not lack of talent imo. In the games immediately after Philbin's firing, he did pretty well when they gave him more carries. Having Tannehill throw 40+ times each game isn't going to help the Dolphins win.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

his head can twist all he wants.. doesn't mean it was a face mask. Also, isn't there a 5 yard face mask and 15 yard? (I know both would have resulted in an extra play, but JW the reasoning for giving him the 15, gives him an extra 10 yards which would have been key also)

I never said it was a face mask. I just said in real time it had all the signs of it looking like a face mask. Refs don't have slow mo replay.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped watching after it was 20-0 Detroit. Figured at that point either Detroit was going to win or just do a beyond depressing choke job. I don't care much about either team. Now I kind of wish I'd kept watching, but I spend enough time watching football as it is between NFL and college, so was glad for the extra hour or so of my life back.

Re: the facemask, I get why they called it even though it was a bad call in hindsight. Refs have to work in real time. The ability of a questionable call to change the outcome of a game is problematic, but I don't want to see penalties start to get reviewed by instant replay like turnovers and scoring plays. NFL games are long enough as is. Maybe allow a coach to challenge a penalty, but that's about it.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Refs usually don't pull a flag out on the last play of the game. However, the NFL has to protect its $$$ QBs Rodgers, Brees and Brady.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stopped watching after it was 20-0 Detroit. Figured at that point either Detroit was going to win or just do a beyond depressing choke job. I don't care much about either team. Now I kind of wish I'd kept watching, but I spend enough time watching football as it is between NFL and college, so was glad for the extra hour or so of my life back.

Re: the facemask, I get why they called it even though it was a bad call in hindsight. Refs have to work in real time. The ability of a questionable call to change the outcome of a game is problematic, but I don't want to see penalties start to get reviewed by instant replay like turnovers and scoring plays. NFL games are long enough as is. Maybe allow a coach to challenge a penalty, but that's about it.

Regarding length of games totally get it. Just watching the Packer games this year is a marathon. I think one even reached 3:50 without overtime. Rediculous. Commercials after every 4 downs it seems. I paused the game last night and did housework and was pleasantly surprised how fast I caught up to action an hour later.

Let me tell you, I dont envy you east coast guys for the 3 night games. Whats the average end time, like 11:45 pm?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Regarding length of games totally get it. Just watching the Packer games this year is a marathon. I think one even reached 3:50 without overtime. Rediculous. Commercials after every 4 downs it seems. I paused the game last night and did housework and was pleasantly surprised how fast I caught up to action an hour later.

Let me tell you, I dont envy you east coast guys for the 3 night games. Whats the average end time, like 11:45 pm?

Yeah. I spent about 6 years in Chicago, which was perfect for watching NFL games time-wise. Moved to the East Coast for a few months and it's not fun. 11:50 is so is probably when most of the games end on the East Coast. Only downside to central time is college games starting at 11:00AM, but that's really not too terrible. I think both coasts are the worst for watching football, though to me the West Coast has it worst than the East.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

He's missed like a handful of games in his career total so I'm not sure where the durability concerns are. Giving him only a few touches a game is more on the coaching staff, not lack of talent imo. In the games immediately after Philbin's firing, he did pretty well when they gave him more carries. Having Tannehill throw 40+ times each game isn't going to help the Dolphins win. 

I dunno man, I think the lack of touches is indicative of a lack of confidence in him. But I just read that they have a new OC who's promised to invest in the running game, so maybe he'll prove me wrong with this opportunity.

CSCoHammers7

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just getting old, but this is the first season watching the night games that it has become exhausting, especially if you're dumb enough (like me) to go out and catch the game at a bar on a Sunday night. The commercial breaks at every opportunity are somehow more annoying than ever - I really don't want more of them, and the ability to review/challenge penalties would kill the flow further and push these games to ridiculous lengths. That being said, to lose a game as a result of a bad call/no call is maddening. If a penalty results in an untimed down at the end of regulation, I feel like that's not unreasonable to have a second look at. I'll be a homer and point to the Dumerville facemask against the Jags that moved them into FG range for the win at 0:00, despite the Oline not being set to get the snap off in time. The league saying "Our bad" does nothing for anyone when all that matters is Ws and Ls, so I don't understand why they'd even bother to say such. But I get it from both sides. Critical officiating errors or no calls can happen at any point in the game and influence the outcome, just like you don't ever lose a game in just one play. Game of inches, blah blah blah. So how do you decide what is reviewable? Something has to be done, especially the way this season is going, but I have no idea what that is...

Not that it matters, but my two cents is that watching it live, it sure did look like a facemask. Then there was the replay. Sucks that it definitely wasn't and they threw the flag anyway, especially if they were just going to let them play on the hail mary regardless (like they usually do). I'm as irritated at the officiating this season as the next guy, but that was just human.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if it was a bad facemask call at least it was payback for the fail mary call. (Hey Detroit, Im not saying you deserve it but you did sign Golden Tate)

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, maybe we should make the refs be full time employees and not be cheap asses? Would it help if the refs dont have to have other jobs? lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics