1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

They're just following SOP to fill airtime after the euphoria of a great game with provocative nonsense. I have nothing negative to say about Rodgers, but he's won like 25% of what Brady has accomplished

2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I think Aaron Rodgers is one of the most accurate qbs I've ever seen.

3. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Yeah, there are differences. Brady and Belichick have schemed and chess'd their way to many big games and won a lot of championships. I would say that Brady is the GOAT in terms of game management and decision making. But Rodgers makes plays and his accuracy is pretty amazing. I'd say he is the GOAT in terms of athletic skills/arm.

edit: who you think is gonna win ed?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  4. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

The NFL hype machine is out of control and yes, it's a bit much when every player is, "the greatest in his (division, conference, league, history)" for a good play. I don't think Rodgers is GOAT, he's still got a ways to go for that, just in terms of longevity. Is he a really damn good player - you betcha!

I believe Brady's "greatness" would be considered stolen valor in other cases:

The Patriots have never denied the accuracy of the reporting here:
    http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

There is a reason NFL popularity is fading, the unwillingness of the NFL to play by its own rules being part of it.

Bonds, Clemens, McGwire and Sosa aren't in the Hall of Fame today and you would hope Football writers will screw their courage to the sticking place when the time comes with Brady and Bellicheat.

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

6. diadem

diadem Senior member

As long as we don't see a Packers-Steelers Super Bowl circa 2011 again, I'll be happy.

1 person likes this.
  7. archibaldleach

As far as the GOAT talk is concerned, I'd put Brady there for now. He does so many things well, plays intelligently, and has won more games than any other QB in history (4 rings too). He's done all this in the salary cap era too.

Rodgers could get there. He's very athletic and accurate, and makes few mistakes. It might come down to how long he plays and whether he wins at least one more SB. I have great respect for Peyton and what he achieved. Montana was the greatest of his generation. Like I said, I'd take Brady, but it's always a fun conversation.

1 person likes this.
  8. archibaldleach

Agreed. I thought Atlanta vs KC could be an inoffensive SB if the Patriots didn't make it, but Pittsburgh had other ideas.

9. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I think Rodgers might be one of the most athletically gifted QBs of all time. But he hasn't accomplished anything near what Brady has. (I think Brady has had much better receivers though-Moss+Gronk+Hernandez+etc)

11. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I don't get the whole destroying the tv thing these days. Weirds me out.

Dallas fans have nothing to be down about. They are a young, good team that I'm sure will challenge for years to come. Maybe a piece or two away on defense and maybe another receiver. They are real close. They are not a Carolina/49ers/Denver type of 1 and done. They built their base the right way, with offensive and defensive lines that are amazing.

12. double00

double00 Senior member

Rodgers is great in the pocket and... can pull it down and RUN. a legit athlete, great vision, with cojones.

that said, i think Brady is ultimately the GOAT. he's so relentless, manages clock, grinds defenses. one thing i've consistently noticed with Pats is they win a lot of games in the 3rd quarter. i've always gotten the sense that they just probe and prod for the first half and scoring is somewhat incidental.

EDIT: agree about Dallas. Raiders too.

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Yeah I think its a weird spot in any sport to go player x is such a good athlete/sport but player y is so good at limiting his weakness which is kind-of what Brady does--he's a far more intellectual qb for lack of a better word.

I don't know who wins, that first half was garbage. They play like that and they're done. I don't know how much I enjoy the Falcons making the championship game because man I'd love to not have to see either my favorite team or hometown team lose this late in the season.

14. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

LOL!

Football HoF voters aren't bound by some morality clause when it comes to voting. LT got in, OJ is still in, a bunch of steroid users from the 1970's and 80's, and pain killer pill poppers from the 90's.

15. cross22

cross22 Senior member

All teams cheat all the time. Team regularly sign on a recently cut player so they can get intel on the other team's playbook. They have spotters trying to decipher signals, pipe in nose, use unauthorized communications devices, etc etc. You are naive if you think Patriots are any different than others.

16. double00

double00 Senior member

You aint cheatin you aint tryin

17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Yeah but the Patriots are the worst.

18. diadem

diadem Senior member

19. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

^^^^^^ Looked like a good call to me. Maybe you think the officials should swallow their whistle in that situation, but that's a different argument.

20. diadem

diadem Senior member

I agree with you that it was a good call. I just thought it was a funny quote. I can understand Kelce's frustration, though. Stuff like that happens basically every play and it's called pretty inconsistently throughout the game. It's almost as if the refs are either picking and choosing when it's called or there's just too much going on during any given play for them to keep track of everything. I think it's more the latter than the former since I'm not really one of those tin-foil hat guys, but still...sucks if you're a Chiefs fan.