1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

So you want him to accept terms on the deal that no other top 5 pick in the last 5 years has agreed to?

The chargers are just trying to see how far they can go and how much they can take before they get push back.

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Okay, so it seems SD has a bit of a reputation when it comes to dealing with rookie contracts. Good to know going forward. Offset language is pretty standard, and should be IMO (I have no rationale for players being able to double-dip on salary if they sign with another team). The bonus deferral thing is not market, but he's still getting the bonus and signing bonuses are, as far as I know, guaranteed. Still seems kind of dumb as a rookie to play this game when you need to be getting in there and getting snaps to actually develop your reputation in the NFL, though.

3. venividivicibj

It is not standard. Its standard for low draft picks, not top of round 1 picks. This would set a precedent.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  4. venividivicibj

under this logic teams are just going to keep pushing and giving shittier contract language because they know the players can't hold out because they need to 'get in there and develop their rep'

5. archibaldleach

From what I've read, Bosa is the only top 10 pick not signed. 2 of the others in the top 10 have no offset language; 7 do. I understand that there are different ways you can structure it, but 7 out of 9 is enough for me to say that it's standard. It is even more common lower in the first round.

6. archibaldleach

So it's an issue for the next CBA. Holding out as a rookie over lawyer disputes is something I think is not smart for an individual.

7. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Of those 7 how many have offset and deferred bonus? How many top 10 picks had offset and deferred bonus payments last year?

8. archibaldleach

I've agreed that both together is not market practice, but my comment was about whether offset language itself is fairly standard.

9. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Bosa is being repped by CAA - not some fly by night outfit or new agent trying to make a name.

Chargers are idiots.

There was some talk of comparing Bosa to Bo Jackson, who was drafted by Tampa Bay, didn't sign with them, and then re-entered the draft and fell to round 6.

They forget that Bo Jackson had baseball to fall back on, and an impressive fall back at that. There was no certainty Bo would play football which had more to do with his "fall" than his missing a year.

I think it will ultimately cost Bosa some money, but not all that much. The Chargers are the big loser here.

1 person likes this.
  10. venividivicibj

What are you comparing it to the top ten and not top5? Or top 3? Once again you're comparing him to lower draft picks.

Also, here - https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sport...-at-chargers-over-bosa-holdout-183157399.html

11. archibaldleach

My comment about offset language being standard was a reference to NFL contracts more broadly, not necessarily to a player in Bosa's position. I didn't say that offset language was standard for the third pick in the draft, I said it was standard in general and I stand by that based on everything I've read.

A sample size of three is pretty much worthless (really, two, because Bosa hasn't signed a contract). 32 (or 31) is better, but that includes all first rounders and I agree with your idea that higher up first rounders are a better comparison. Hence, top 10. Not an optimal sample, but it's hard to analyze this perfectly. Outside of the top picks, offset language is pretty much universal from what I've seen. If you want to, we could say that as we approach the top of the draft, the probability of offset language being in a contract goes from near 100% to around 50%, but there's a giant margin of error as we get higher up in the draft and the sample size shrinks. I don't think we have good enough data to determine what is market practice with these contractual provisions for a top 3 pick with any real confidence (we do have good enough data for first rounders and mediocre data for the top 10).

Chargers may well be being mocked by others, but I don't see how Bosa is doing himself any favors here. The best way to get a big contract in the future is to actually show up and play. I understand not wanting to be pushed around as a matter of principle, but losing a year and falling in the draft (who knows, he could get hurt in that year too) if nothing gets worked out is a bad position to be in (plus if he falls in the draft, he'll have less leverage in negotiating these provisions anyway).

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Kapernik putting it all on the line for his principles, leveraging the fact that he's at the pinnacle of career success and popularity.

13. archibaldleach

Lol.

14. Nil

Nil Senior member

I have a bad back, but not a Tony Romo-type bad back.
    — John Dingell (@JohnDingell) August 27, 2016
    It might be time for Romo to hang it up.

15. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

is this the thread that's starting a fantasy league, if so can I join?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  16. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Yep, I like Romo, but I don't want to see the guy using a cane or walker at 45 let alone worse. The team should do the right thing for him like the packers did with Sterling Sharpe

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

18. archibaldleach

19. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Im planning on living that SB high throughout this season and pretending like last season was the NFL series finale.

1 person likes this.
  20. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member