1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

this might help the patriots... rest tom 4 games. eek out a 2-2 record. back to business.

also you light a fire under their asses.

it's a double edged sword... patriot haters love that he'll be suspended/etc, but think about how more insufferable the north east coast biased sports fandom/media coverage will be.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

This is a win for America.

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

For those who can't be bothered to read the Second Circuit's opinion, the summary is basically that courts owe an extreme level of deference to arbitrators as long as the arbitrator has some leg to stand on. So basically unless you think Goodell is making his decisions by rolling dice or consulting a Magic 8 ball, the Second Circuit was going to uphold the suspension. So once again, it says nothing about the merits of the case or whether Goodell acted appropriately, just that he did not screw up so badly as to make it appropriate to not defer to him.

Those who hate the Patriots can enjoy this a bit. I'm just going to enjoy the great run of Boston sports success that I've been lucky enough to live through (add Germany's 2014 WC win, USA WNT's 2015 WC win, and Bayern's 2012-2013 CL win, and it's been really good times).

1 person likes this.
  4. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

At least the Texans now have a chance to not be blown out on national TV!

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

So.. no one is interested in the draft?

Anyway - wanted to post as I think we have some lawyers in this thread -

It it a privacy violation for teams to be leaking prospects possible injuries?

ex - "Jaylon smith may have nerve damage in his knee"
    "Myles Jack knee could have degenerative condition and need further surgeries"

etc.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  6. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Privacy? For who? Nearly any contract in any sports league has exemptions for this information … how else can you invest in something? It's just part of due diligence and generally speaking as public figures their right to privacy is diminished just by the nature of the business.

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think it depends on the context and the ultimate source of the information. I recall we had some discussion around this before -- maybe around JP Paul's injury?
    I'm not a HIPAA expert but if private medical information is being disclosed without consent there's quite likely a HIPAA violation in there somewhere. But there's way too much I don't know about the process to have any sort of informed opinion about whether there's a privacy violation. Is the information being leaked being derived from confidential medical reports or from some more football-ish context? Is there consent? My guess would be that prospects agree to make their medical records and related information available as part of making themselves available for the draft. Once they become members of the NFLPA I'd imagine there are some guidelines in the collective bargaining agreement about what information can be publicly disclosed and in what circumstances, but I don't have any actual knowledge of what the CBA does or doesn't say.

8. Kid Nickels

Your guesses and imagination would be correct. They sign waivers for entering the draft … obviously teams need to know, sometimes that info gets out. And yes most league standard CBAs and contracts contain exemptions to HIPAA once they are signed.

9. venividivicibj

They don't have contracts yet though. That's my point. They're free of the CBA

10. venividivicibj

Also, two people from the hospital that leaked JPPs info got fired. Schefter never apologized to the player, or the hospital employees though lol

11. Kid Nickels

You missed my last post … of course they sign waivers and "mini-contracts" upon eligibility to enter the draft itself … these also contain consent of release of medical info to teams. That some of this info "gets out" or is discussed during he draft is part of the process (football related).

It would be totally different if some scout from Philly says "Myles Jack had a vasectomy last fall, I find that concerning."

and the context is entirely different … therefore different result.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  12. venividivicibj

Yeah - I know the teams can see it, but aren't they bound by contract not to leak it to the press/public?

Also, have you seen some of the anonymous scout shit this year? Connor cook - scout said he's too self absorbed, wants to 'be the quarterback' wtf does that mean.

Eli apple - 'kid wouldn't be able to live on his own, can't even cook' lol heaven forbid he hire a chef or the team provide meals on the road

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Wasn't that because the hospital workers leaked it to the press, though? There's no reason to suppose JPP waived his HIPAA rights with respect to hospital workers leaking his confidential medical information to the press.
    And whether or not JPP might have some legal claim against those hospital employees, they certainly violated hospital policy. I'd bet a lot of money that those hospital workers had been through multiple HIPAA compliance trainings and had been warned in writing -- and probably were required to certify their understanding and acceptance in writing -- that leaking patient information was a prohibited offense that could lead to termination. So a completely different issue.

14. archibaldleach

I enjoy the draft for some reason. It's pretty boring the way it's done, but I do enjoy seeing where the players I recognize from watching college football go. Plus you can always get other stuff done while watching. The draft is perfect for multitasking that way.

Of course my team doesn't have a first round pick this year, but half the time we trade out of the first round anyways.

15. thatboyo

thatboyo Senior member

Lol @ the tunsil video

Smh @ Jerry Reese. It's like dude wants to be fired

16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

holy shit and the Dolphins ended up with Tunsil at 13. what the hell happened?? what a perfect fit if this guy isn't a total shit-for-brains

17. venividivicibj

Tunsils's video is 2 years old. who cares.

Jack is falling. Some very good team is going to get a beast.

18. archibaldleach

Not sure what the Bears were thinking tonight. Ohio State's doing well in getting lots of guys drafted in the first round.

19. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Oh great, more assholes introducing themselves in pregame as coming from THE Ohio state

2 people like this.
  20. archibaldleach

Liked the moves by Denver and Arizona.