1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I wouldn't put Favre in the same class of Manning. Manning's stats are undeniably better. Elway is great too. So is Rodgers. Brady ties for most championships, is way ahead in total playoff wins, and doesn't do bad in the stats column either. I like Brady in this conversation, but acknowledge I am biased and there is some subjectivity.

Marino is often overlooked due to no rings. He belongs in the top 10 IMHO.

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Not diving after the second fumble deep in Carolina territory, when his team needed to keep the ball to have any chance of winning the game, is going to follow Newton for a long, long time. Not sure what he was thinking. Thought his arm was moving forward? Didn't think the game was winnable? Brain fart?

3. archibaldleach

^ Indeed. I think the other 31 starting QBs in the NFL would have gone after the fumble.

4. Nil

Nil Senior member

It honestly looked like a brain fart to me, that momentary freeze before he dove for it has all the hallmarks of one. Cam hasn't shied away from physical contact at any point of his career. His rushing stats speak for themselves in that arena.

As for his press conference, the guy just lost the biggest game of his career. This is the pinnacle of what he's striven for since he first touched a football and he got entirely manhandled by the Broncos' D (props to Von Miller for his deserved MVP). I can't imagine failing in the most important moment of my professional career and then immediately facing a room full of cameras with reporters asking me how I felt disappointed for letting my teammates/coworkers down. Cut him some slack.

Though I do feel a certain amount of schadenfreude for all the Panthers' bandwagoners. I wonder what they'll do with all their crisp new Panthers gear.

1 person likes this.
  5. archibaldleach

^ Well, it's always enjoyable to see bandwagon fans after their newly discovered team loses. That, and the people who move to a new city and decide to start supporting the local team.

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

As a former reporter whose been to many many press conferences--we can be suck dickholes. At the same time, all we wanted was for our life to be made easy, a little help doing our job. And we always knew that no matter what we had the soapbox at the end of the day.

But more deference should go to $cam.

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I think it was pretty clear what he was thinking.

Funny that 49 other QB's in the same position never had a problem doing their job (yes, it's part of their employment responsibilities) in the post-game. His further comments today just reinforce how much of a self-absorbed asshole this douchebag is.

To a reporter's comment that he had offended many people and fans! with his behavior … "That's cool."

further … "But I know who I am and I'm not about to conform nor bend for anybody's expectations because your or anybody else's expectations will never exceed mine." Really? Your expectations are so high and lofty, yet they seem not to include the basic responsibilities of civility, media-availability and not acting like a spoiled 2-year-old child?

Ron Rivera goes on to make more excuses. Fuck $cam and all his douchebaggery 1,000x times over.

True, but nobody was doing that. In fact the questions were quite sympathetic/empathetic and he just kept being a DB.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You realize that's a completely circular argument, right?

1 person likes this.
  9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

I dont think he's taking that argument, I think he's saying 'people' (traditionalists) say/argue that. (trying to give him credit here)

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the playoffs had more rounds by the time he started playing.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You could be right, but I was reading that as a follow-up to:

12. archibaldleach

I'm not actually making that argument here, though. I'm simply acknowledging that a lot of people think rings matter, especially when we're anywhere near a tie in statistics.

13. venividivicibj

edit - not worth it

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Fair enough.

15. archibaldleach

@lawyerdad, the other comment you quoted was a response to someone implying that the results of this Superbowl would somehow affect arguments about whether Brady / Manning is better. If that second ring in a year when Manning has played poorly really puts him in a different conversation regarding his legacy / all time great status, it logically follows that rings and postseason matter a lot. If that's the criteria, Brady clearly wins and its not even close. It was intended more as a "let's take this to its conclusion" sort of thing than an affirmative statement that I personally believe championships / playoff success is the strongest determination of which QBs are the best.

I do think that rings are relevant as are total playoff wins, but they obviously don't tell the whole story. I would, for example, put someone like Dan Marino a good bit ahead of a number of QBs who have one or more Superbowl rings.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Yep, that all makes sense to me. I probably land in roughly the same place as HRoi on this, and I'd say each of those guys you mentioned is fairly part of the conversation.

17. archibaldleach

Now what the hell am I going to do with my Sundays for 7 months? Depressing thought.

18. venividivicibj

19. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Baseball? GTFO of here.

20. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Joe Montana.

This. Especially because the Astros are such a fun young team to watch. I view them on Fox SW when I'm not enriching my mind with Westerns and crime novels.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016