• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
In the immediate aftermath, emotions were shock at such a risky play. Even anger that we "threw" it away.

In retrospect you can look at every big play in football and there is an element of brilliance and stupidity in the decisions. Just depends on the outcome.

If Lockette catches, we describe this as a ballsy play avoiding the obvious rush defence and exploiting a rookie DB.

Biggest play was probably Lane going down with an injury because it is conceivable at least one of the TDs thrown his way might not happen. Could second guess for ages.

Credit to a very intelligent game plan by Belichick and the Pats played it well. Overall they were better than my Seahawks and I can live with that.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watching the final two minutes again, it just seemed to me that as the seconds were winding down, the Seahawks were taking too long and/or didn't have plays set up for Wilson to make an attempt to score. Seriously, the look of befuddlement on the Seattle sideline was there. All while the clock was ticking. See: after the Kearse circus catch and Lynch's rush

All praise Malcolm Butler

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Personally I don't think the decision to pass on 2nd down at the goal was that silly. If it worked no one would bat an eye at the decision - some would probably call it "brave and inspired". The conservative (and boring) choice would have been to run it - which the Patriots were expecting.

Conservative and boring are pretty normative terms in context - "safe" might be an alternative. And whether the "conservative and boring" choice is appropriate or misguided depends largely on circumstances, risk/reward, etc. While it's certainly true in play-calling there's always a balance between safety (perceived or actual) and predictability, there are times when the relative risks and rewards clearly tip the scales of good judgment in a particular direction.

Yes, the Patriots were expecting a run. But Seattle had three chances to pound it in from the 1/2-yard with Faulk and/or a Wilson sneak. The odds of success, even with the Patriots expecting it, are pretty high. While a fumble is possible, the odds of a catastrophic turnover/mistake would have been far, far lower than on a quick pass into traffic.

I think the Seahawk play-callers may have let their egos and pride in their reputation for being "brave and inspired" impede their judgment. There's nothing "boring" about winning the Super Bowl.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, the Seattle WR group can stop saying they're being disrespected when people like Deion Sanders says they suck. The WR group aside from Mitchell had no impact whatsoever. Seattle could've really used someone of Golden Tate or Percy Harvin's caliber to make plays.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think the Seahawk play-callers may have let their egos and pride in their reputation for being "brave and inspired" impede their judgment. There's nothing "boring" about winning the Super Bowl.

I can somewhat agree with this which is why I mentioned Duron Harmon a few pages back. That Pats-Ravens game essentially ended with a pick as well stemming from a "I got this, bitches" throw from Flacco.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MNKOY1M.gif

:lol:

Sherman is like the ugly, ******** whose daddy keeps telling her how pretty she is… and despite all evidence to the contrary, she believes it.

"I went to Stanford *****… they told me I'm smart!"

Watching the final two minutes again, it just seemed to me that as the seconds were winding down, the Seahawks were taking too long and/or didn't have plays set up for Wilson to make an attempt to score. Seriously, the look of befuddlement on the Seattle sideline was there. All while the clock was ticking. See: after the Kearse circus catch and Lynch's rush

All praise Malcolm Butler

Given that it was safe to assume Seattle was going to score, why didn't New England call a timeout though? Doesn't that seem weird?

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the same thing happened with Mike Martz and the St. Louis Rams in the first Patriots' Super Bowl win. He apparently forgot he had Marshall Faulk, the best football player on the planet at the time.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Given that it was safe to assume Seattle was going to score, why didn't New England call a timeout though? Doesn't that seem weird?

It was such a odd moment, for sure. Those final two minutes were a literal combo of the last two Pats SB losses. Miracle catch '07 + allowing them to score '11

It looked like a personnel issue for Seattle because they expected NE to call the timeout but when Carroll realized Belichick was holstering his timeouts, he went into frantic mode

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another assklown front… Johnny Manziel has entered a "rehabilitation facility" to "improve his life". Hey Sherman is such an expert at life… looks like he will have something to do in the offseason.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It was such a odd moment, for sure. Those final two minutes were a literal combo of the last two Pats SB losses. Miracle catch '07 + allowing them to score '11

It looked like a personnel issue for Seattle because they expected NE to call the timeout but when Carroll realized Belichick was holstering his timeouts, he went into frantic mode

Agreed on both points. Belichick is a crazy motherfucker!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is it about the day after the Super Bowl?? All these crazy stuff happening.......

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the same thing happened with Mike Martz and the St. Louis Rams in the first Patriots' Super Bowl win. He apparently forgot he had Marshall Faulk, the best football player on the planet at the time.

remember the narrative for that Super Bowl? the greatest show on turf was cementing their legacy as the future dynasty against the overmatched patriots with a newb QB... all they needed to proceed was to win back to back SB titles.

I wonder what happens to the Seahawks after this... they are almost in the same situation as those kurt warner/marshall flaulk lead Rams... i assume they'll be awesome next season, but you never know...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some football fans are loco.
They are calling into radio shows saying that a possible reason that they didn't give the ball to ML was that they didn't want him to be the potential MVP...

:brick:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though they didn't win the Superbowl, Seattle is still going to have to pay Russell Wilson. I seem to recall them having a decent amount of cap space, but having a mid-round draft pick on a rookie contract definitely helped in that regard. It will be interesting to see what if anything they'll have to sacrifice next year to get new contracts for Lynch / Wilson and possibly others. Seeing how well they did drafting guys like Sherman and others in the later rounds, it will also be interesting to see how their next draft picks pan out. Hitting on a few guys in the late rounds and having a QB playing for practically nothing were advantages that aren't as strong now.

I still think they'll be a very strong team. I just don't think they'll be quite as good as they were this year (and in turn I think and have said for awhile that they are not as good this year as they were last year).

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilson's current cap hit is like $800k and Seattle plans to make him one of the highest paid guys in the league. If we just use an estimate of $20M a year cap hit plus resigning Marshawn to make him the 2nd highest paid RB as it's currently being reported then cutbacks are going to need to be made somewhere. We already see it in the weak WR corps and it will start hitting the depth chart soon such as the secondary after the LoB.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics