1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016-17 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Sep 5, 2013.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

He's going to be hanging out with Julian Assange in some South America embassy soon.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Not illegal. HIPAA doesn't apply to the press/media.
    What the medical facility/hospital did was potentially illegal.

3. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

What if the person snuck into an office or room to take that photo? Is that not some kind of trespassing?

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

If Schefter(reporter) did or the employee at the medical facility did?

The person at the medical facility would have had "clearance" for those files. They would not have had to sneak in...but they would have had to access(electronic record) the files.

Schefter? Highly doubtful he snuck in. He would still need "clearance" to access the files. What i think happened was that he called the hospital, said who he was/who he works for and asked what was going on with JPP. He probably pushed and just asked for a screen shot sent via cell > cell and told whoever that no one will find out.

The facility/person is in hot water with the Feds.
    Don't get me wrong, Schefter will get questioned...but the law does not apply to him. He can simply refuse to give up his sources(which he should.)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Hm. I've never liked the guy. Something about a man who reports on sports and seemingly takes himself so seriously... rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Yeah...but in this instance, he was doing his job. Simple IMO.
    I don't really follow him so can't comment on how seriously he takes himself.

Did he know that he was "bending the rules"? Yes.
    Did he know(at the time) that the person who sent him the pic(if that is the case) is going to eventually lose their job? Probably wasn't thinking of that at the time.
    Could he have just said.."sources" are saying that JPP had his finger amputated? Yep. But also Tweeting the pic of the doc added much more "punch."

Did the idiot at the facility who sent him the pic(if that is the case) know that they were violating the law? Yep.

7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Just because you have info doesn't mean you need to report it. Or at least not show the picture - say he had a finger surgery etc, but you don't need to show his actual records.

8. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

When Schefter tweeted that Ken Stabler had died one of the first comments was "do you have the death certificate?" I laughed.

2 people like this.
  9. venividivicibj

That's pretty good.

How many players/union contacts do you think he lost/won't talk to him now

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Oh...I somewhat agree with that.

But remember, he is a reporter...first and foremost.

11. venividivicibj

and that means.... if you are legally allowed to do something, you should?

12. diadem

diadem Senior member

These people don't give two shits about ethics or morals. It's all about being the first to report breaking news so they get all the page hits and revenue.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    3 people like this.
  13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

^^
    Exactly.

Do you know what reporter and network was all over the news re this story? Exactly. Adam Schefter and ESPN. Guy has almost 4 million twitter followers. You think he cares after ESPN backed him (contingent upon him not doing anything illegal to get the info re the story)?

Reporters OFTEN look the other way when sourcing/confirming/writing a story.

Reporters report. They aren't priests.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

But what's the difference there -- aside from maybe not burning his source? I mean, medical records are confidential because of the information they contain, not because there's anything unique about them as physical artifacts (sometimes, of course, the records aren't even physical documents). Unless there's some other private medical information in the records that you've decided not to disclose because you think it's not relevant or whatever, what's the real difference between reporting the contents of someone's medical records and publishing a pdf of the records?

1 person likes this.
  15. venividivicibj

Feels more visceral, seeing that he has the actual physical document in front of him.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Fair enough. But I'm not sure that has any bearing on the ethical/moral/whatever issue (which you may not have been opining on, anyway).

17. venividivicibj

Well, I wasn't saying he should be prosecuted, or it was illegal, as much as it was incredibly insensitive and douchey

1 person likes this.
  18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Maybe not prosecuted. But maybe a better solution will be to lay his balls on a railroad track and watch as a 104-railcar train goes over them

19. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Greg Hardy suspension reduced announced late yesterday from 10 games to 4.

20. diadem

diadem Senior member

So hitting a woman carries the same penalty as deflating footballs. Nice. I'm no Pats fan, but even I can see how fucked up that is.