NFL 2011/2012 Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by phreak, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Just kidding . . . nice win for the 49ers. I still don't think they match up particularly well with the Packers or the Saints, but they'll be a tough out for anybody. You better have a LT who can block Aldon Smith.

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

It's SF, everyone is half-lit.

3. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Texans. SMH:facepalm:

Why was Kareem Jackson covering Reggie Wayne one on one? As soon as a I saw that I knew it was going to be a touch down.

4. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

Do you think the owner was yelling NO, NO, NO.... in his luxury box?

Weren't they suppose to "Suck for Luck"?

5. Ambulance Chaser

NFL Draft just got interesting. What happens if the Vikings get the #1 pick?

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Trade Ponder, pick Luck.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

+1. Easy call, though Ponder will be a decent NFL quarterback.

8. Ambulance Chaser

Ponder doesn't have much trade value if everyone knows that the Vikings have to trade him. I would trade the #1 pick for a boatload of draft picks plus one or two starter-quality players.

The Rams are also in the running for the #1 pick. They couldn't trade Sam Bradford, could they?

9. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I wonder. He's got all the skills - phenomenal work ethic, extremely intelligent, mobile, reasonably strong arm - but he gets injured a lot. I'm a huge Ponder fan, I actually had him in one of my MBA classes at FSU, so I want him to succeed. I just have real durability concerns with him.

10. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Trade the #1 draft down a couple positions (either STL or IND will still want a new QB). Use that to get the best receiver or best DB in first round or best OT (KALIL!!!!).

Disagree.

Disagree.

Adding to the above: The organization is behind developing Ponder. Throughout the season he's shown a very good ability to be an NFL-level quarterback. Unfortunately, with a team in as much disarray as it currently is in, he is getting hit one second off the snap and forcing bad decisions. No team respects the Vikings passing ability because... they have no real deep threat. Percy Harvin isn't an outside receiver -- he's only 5'11" (I think). Aromashadu is reliable but he's not the 6'6" 250 pound 80 inch vertical you need. Michael Jenkins is injured and was never a huge threat. This means 8-box fronts, 9-box fronts, and single coverage on crappy receivers. Give Ponder an OT, maybe a new guard or two, and a good downfield WR and he can compete. Put Luck in with this shittastic team and Luck will get killed. He's a great QB, I don't deny that, but it'll take more than 2nd-through-6th round bad draft picks and free agency to fix the team enough for him to be very successful.

Bradford is gone, imo. With Barkley having announced he's going back to USC the QB picks will be, in order, Luck and RG3.

I didn't follow him at FSU but injury will be a big concern with him. If only because he gets hit every other play thanks to the leaky OL.

11. Ambulance Chaser

You think the Rams should give up on Bradford? I still think Bradford can be an elite QB. His o-line and receiving corps are horrible. The Rams would do well by drafting Matt Kalil or Justin Blackmon.

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

I never was a big fan of Ponder's when he was in college, but I think he's shown the intelligence and athletic ability to be a fine NFL quarterback and perhaps reach elite status. I, too, hope he succeeds.

It doesn't matter that Ponder doesn't have much trade value, the Vikings can't pass up a quarterback with the potential of Luck. He could be Peyton Manning-esque. They should draft Luck and get what they can for Ponder. He should be worth at least as much as Kevin Kolb. Then, they should spend the next several drafts picking up offensive linemen to open holes for Peterson and protect Luck, as well as getting a receiver or two. The Vikings would be awesome with Luck, Peterson, a decent defense, and a bunch of good role players on offense.

I watched Bradford a lot while he was in college and he'll develop into a great NFL quarterback because he has a mind for the game and a great work ethic. In college, he ALWAYS hit the right receiver and hit him right in stride. The team needs an OL to protect him, some decent receivers, and for the coaching staff to take the shackles off and allow him to throw downfield. In the short term, they need to develop a TE or RB who can catch, so he can dump the ball off and quit getting killed on every pass play.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  13. thinman

thinman Senior member

See above. I agree completely about Bradford. The Rams need a left tackle to protect Bradford's blind side and I'm not convinced Rodger Saffold is the man, even when he's healthy.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  14. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I haven't watched too many Rams/Bradford games, so take this with a grain of salt. What I've seen is Bradford isn't a very mobile QB. All the successful QBs have this ability to tuck the ball and take off (Rodgers being the leader in this style) or slip around in the pocket just enough to thwart the rush (Brady, Manning, Rofflezburger). This is what RG3 allows. Ponder is already mobile for the Vikings and has escaped several rushes. With an OT, they'd be in a much better position. Indy under Manning (the 2012-13 projection right now) is a solid offense despite their flaws, because teams fear and respect him. Nobody gives a damn about anything the Rams do. Even if it's wrong, everything in this league starts with the QB IMO.

15. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

OOOOOOOOH painful hit on AP. Definitely heavily twisted, hopefully nothing broke. That hurt to watch.

And the piece-of-shit OL just got Ponder a concussion because of an inability to block.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011