• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NFL 2009 Discussion

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
The ending was meh. Chad Pennington looked like he took Donovan McNabb's class on how to run a two-minute drive.

That was horrible.
And I had no dog in the fight whatsoever. The game up 'til then had been entertaining; too bad they pissed it down their leg.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
The ending was meh. Chad Pennington looked like he took Donovan McNabb's class on how to run a two-minute drive.

On another note, Michael Crabtree = MORON. Apparently he's unfamiliar with the concept of time value of money. Or the very real possibility that his future draft stock is sinking due to his prima donna attitude.

+1

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
On another note, Michael Crabtree = MORON. Apparently he's unfamiliar with the concept of time value of money. Or the very real possibility that his future draft stock is sinking due to his prima donna attitude.
Fail. He's got a legitimate case and definitely has the higher ground on this one. I'm betting he'll get what he's after.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "legitimate case"? Certainly he doesn't have to sign, but I don't expect this to end well for him at all.

I saw Kiper on ESPN a few days ago saying he'd still go top 10 next year. He's out of his mind.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
What do you mean by "legitimate case"? Certainly he doesn't have to sign, but I don't expect this to end well for him at all. I saw Kiper on ESPN a few days ago saying he'd still go top 10 next year. He's out of his mind.
He was the best receiver in the draft by far. No doubt about it. He shouldn't be penalized because the Oakland Raiders can't conduct a draft worth a damn and picked Hayward 15 slots ahead of where he should have been taken.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
He was the best receiver in the draft by far. No doubt about it. He shouldn't be penalized because the Oakland Raiders can't conduct a draft worth a damn and picked Hayward 15 slots ahead of where he should have been taken.
You know what? That's not the way it works. Unless he was offered significantly less than 5 years 14.5-17 million guaranteed, (which i doubt is the case) he has nothing to complain about. That is where his contract is slotted. You don't get to negotiate a salary based on mock drafts. He is not being "penalized" for anything. If anything, he is "penalizing" the 49ers organization for something the Raiders did. I'm sure the 49ers could have used someone else with the 10th pick instead of wasting their time negotiating with someone who is acting like a primadonna before he even DOES ANYTHING. He has not caught a single pass at the NFL level. You know how good he is? He is 10th overall pick good until he proves otherwise. Just like Tom Brady was 6th round pick good until he proved otherwise. He wants to be paid based on speculation. If you want to play that game, Aaron Curry deserves more money than Matthew Stafford. since he was pretty much a consensus "best overall player" in the draft. Crabtree was offered a salary appropriate to the position in which he was taken, and he turned it down and is holding his team hostage. I hope he loses millions of dollars for this crap. I'd say bottom of the second round, or third round pick next year. I hope nobody's going to want to waste a top pick on this guy next year. Wouldn't it be nice if the 49ers picked him up again next year in the 2nd round?
1. Detroit - QB, Matthew Stafford, Georgia - Signed (6-years, $72 million; $41.7 million guaranteed) 2. St. Louis - OT, Jason Smith, Baylor - Signed (5-years, $62M max; $33M guaranteed) 3. Kansas City - DE, Tyson Jackson, LSU - Signed (5-years, $57M; $31M guaranteed) 4. Seattle - LB, Aaron Curry, Wake Forest - Signed (6-years, $60M; $34M guaranteed) 5. NY Jets (fr. CLE) - QB, Mark Sanchez, USC - Signed (5-years; $50.5M real/$60M max; $28M guaranteed) 6. Cincinnati - OT, Andre Smith, Alabama - Signed (4-years, $26M; $21M guaranteed) 7. Oakland - WR, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Maryland - Signed (5-years, $38.25M real/$54M max; $23.5M guaranteed) 8. Jacksonville - OT, Eugene Monroe, Virginia - Signed (5-years, $35.4M; $19.2M guaranteed) 9. Green Bay - DT, B.J. Raji, Boston College - Signed (5-years, $28.5M; $17.7M guaranteed) 10. San Francisco - WR, Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech ??? 11. Buffalo - DE, Aaron Maybin, Penn State - Agreed to terms (5-years, $24.6M: $14.24M guaranteed) 12. Denver - RB, Knowshon Moreno, Georgia - Agreed to terms (5-years, $23M max; $13.125M guaranteed) 13. Washington - DE, Brian Orakpo, Texas - Signed (5-years, $20M; $12.1M guaranteed) 14. New Orleans - CB, Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State - Signed (5-years, $19M; $11M guaranteed) 15. Houston - LB, Brian Cushing, USC - Signed (5-years, $18M; $10.435M guaranteed) 16. San Diego - LB, Larry English, Northern Illinois - Signed (5-years, $17.95M; $9.905M guaranteed) 17. Tampa Bay (fr. CLE/NYJ) - QB, Josh Freeman, Kansas State - Signed (5-years, $36M; $10.245M guaranteed) 18. Denver (fr. CHI) - DE, Robert Ayers, Tennessee - Signed (5-years, $15.5M; $9.7M guaranteed) 19. Philadelphia (fr. CLE/TB) - WR, Jeremy Maclin, Missouri - Agreed to terms (5-years, $15.6M; $9.5M guaranteed) 20. Detroit (fr. DAL) - TE, Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State - Signed (5-years, $14.6M max; $9.3965M guaranteed) 21. Cleveland (fr. PHI) - OC, Alex Mack, California - Signed (5-years, $15.175M max.; $9.265M guaranteed) 22. Minnesota - WR, Percy Harvin, Florida - Signed (5-years, $14.25M max; $8.425M guaranteed) 23. Baltimore (fr. NE) - OT, Michael Oher, Mississippi - Signed (5-years, $13.795M max; $7.82M guaranteed) 24. Atlanta - DT, Peria Jerry, Mississippi - Signed (5-years, $13.25M max; $7.555M guaranteed) 25. Miami - CB, Vontae Davis, Illinois - Agreed to terms (5-years, $13.3M max.; $7.345M guaranteed) 26. Green Bay (fr. NE/BAL) - LB, Clay Matthews, USC - Signed (5-years, $13.725M max; $7.105M guaranteed) 27. Indianapolis - RB, Donald Brown, UCONN - Signed (5-years, $12.835M; $6.845M guaranteed) 28. Buffalo (fr. PHI/CAR) - OC, Eric Wood, Louisville - Signed (5-years, $12.335M; $6.575M guaranteed) 29. NY Giants - WR, Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina - Signed (5-years, $12.225M; $6.575M guaranteed) 30. Tennessee - WR, Kenny Britt, Rutgers - Signed (5-years, $12.25M; $6.527M guaranteed) 31. Arizona - RB, Chris Wells, Ohio State - Agreed to terms (5-years, $11.8M max.; $6.345M guaranteed) 32. Pittsburgh - DE, Ziggy Hood, Missouri - Signed (5-years, $11.3M max.; $6.1M guaranteed)

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo

The correct strategy for crabtree would be insisting on a shorter deal so as to hit free agency sooner, or take the slotting but ask for more incentives. There were attitude questions about crabtree coming out and he's only confirming everyone's worst fears.

He will only go top 10 next year if he runs a 4.3 40.

He's a moran for not taking a deal with a signing bonus that will set him up for life if he just manages to not spend all his money at once. Every day waiting means one more chance to slip in the tub, or get in an accident that would take that away. Just dumb.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Wouldn't it be nice if the 49ers picked him up again next year in the 2nd round?

As I understand it, if a team drafts a player and does not sign him, they're prohibited from selecting him in the following draft.

I'm 100% with the 49ers in this situation, and good for them for not caving and breaking the slotting system. Every year there are players that slide further than the mocks predicted. Crabtree is no different than the rest.

I wonder if the foot injury is more serious than was thought, and he's holding out for what he expects will be his only big payday.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the difference in pay from the beginning to the end of the first round is unreal. make me gm, and there is no way in hell im not trading back if i had a top 10 pick...its like its made to keep the bad teams bad lol

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
As I understand it, if a team drafts a player and does not sign him, they're prohibited from selecting him in the following draft.
How about a traded pick, like Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers? Or even better... How about the NFL and Players Union finally get around to setting a rookie salary cap this year in the off season?
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
the difference in pay from the beginning to the end of the first round is unreal. make me gm, and there is no way in hell im not trading back if i had a top 10 pick...its like its made to keep the bad teams bad lol

Not to mention that the NFL draft is a gigantic crap shoot. Number one picks crap out all the time. Late round picks or undrafted FA turn out awesome... etc.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
crabtree's agent is a ******* moron. you need a jewish agent. some stuff you just don;t **** with.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
How about a traded pick, like Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers? Or even better... How about the NFL and Players Union finally get around to setting a rookie salary cap this year in the off season?
smile.gif

I don't see anything in the CBA that would prevent the 49ers from trading for him if another team drafted him. ARTICLE XVI COLLEGE DRAFT Section 4(b): If a Drafted Rookie has not signed a Player Contract during the period from the date of such Draft to the thirtieth day prior to the first Sunday of the regular season: (i) the Club that drafted the player may not thereafter trade to another Club either its exclusive negotiating rights to such player or any Player Contract that it signs with such player for the player's initial League Year; and (ii) the Club that drafted the player is the only Club with which the player may sign a Player Contract until the day of the Draft in the subsequent League Year, at which time such player is eligible to be drafted in the subsequent League Year's Draft by any Club except the Club that drafted him in the initial Draft. (After the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, the player and the Club may only sign a Player Contract for future League Year(s)) Also of note is that if he signs with another professional league, the Niners have his rights for 3 years from the date of the initial draft, so don't expect to see him with your local UFL/CFL team anytime soon.
smile.gif

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys not read the news? Jets allegedly offered the money he wanted if he held out and went to new york next year. I'd sure as **** rather be catching passes (tee hee) from Mark Sanchez
inlove.gif
than Hill or god forbid, Alex Smith. Plus he gets the deal he wants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads