Nexus One

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tokyo Slim, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

Wait till Q2 for Android to really hit the market.

2. javyn

javyn Senior member

Smoking nothing and I was quoted $45.99 for 77081.

Well, for shits and giggles, I checked again for my zip code and sure enough it's 30 dollars. When I signed up for Vz last month though I took advantage of the two for $99 deal they had, I added the two Droid Eris' to my basket, and the data package was quoted as $45.99 for each.

Looks like they temporarily increased the price of the data plan for the Droid to make up for the fact that I would have gotten two of those phones for a hundred bucks. That's all I can think of, but I am surely not mistaken at that number, made my jaw drop.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

4. DNW

DNW Senior member

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Better yet, the Nexus One is coming to Vz.

We knew that already, that was yesterdays news. This is today.

6. DNW

DNW Senior member

We knew that already, that was yesterdays news. This is today.

Today was predicted long ago. AT&T can't deny the Android army.

7. surfnbank

surfnbank Senior member

I own an Iphone that I do love but the Nexus One does look like it would be a whole lot of fun to play with. I heard the processor is a heck of a lot faster and I have heard the screen is a lot nicer. Not sure about the Droid software yet haven't had a chance to play on it a whole lot.

8. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

After using the Nexus One for a week, I've concluded that I would have gotten the Blackberry Bold 2 over this.

A bit of background: I use the BB Bold 1 for work & also used the Nokia E71 prior to the Nexus 1.

Pros:

Beautiful Screen - Not just the colors, the its true blacks are pretty darn awesome.

Camera - The camera + flash seems to be doing pretty damn well in low light (for a camera phone).

Build - seems pretty sturdy right now, thinner than Iphone.

Cool factor - "its the google phone" gets the girls in your hot shorts.

Cons:

Battery Life - Totally sucks ass. I have a charger at home, at work, and at my girlfriends home. I use the phone primarily for msging on gtalk/emailing/phonecalls w/ GPS/Bluetooth/Wifi disabled. I don't get how it will be a "superphone" which can leverage the connectivity & apps if it lasts half a day w/ a few crapshit apps on.

Touchscreen - I make calls, send loads of texts/IM. Coming from a BB background, physical keyboards make my life much easier and more efficient. Takes me 1 minute to type a message that I can accomplish in 20 seconds on the BB. Disclaimer: My friends tell me its because I'm a touchscreen Noob. Iphone users tell me the N1 keyboard is the same as the Iphones.

Apps -
    Where the fark are my apps!
    Can't use google voice because I'm in Asia,
    Gaming is crap, the VoIP apps which I got it for doesn't have a good option right now (Skype lite charges vs the free iphone version), and the
    Facebook app sucks dick. E.g. I can view my own photos on its native app, which gives me fullscreen viewing - but when I click on my friends photos, it opens the browser and directs me to m.facebook.com. Great.
    Music default app sucks cock. Can't do a lot of navigating properly and how the hell do I import Album art properly...and syncing?? where SYNCING!!!!!! Also, my friend tells me: "dude, your N1 can't even produce enough bass to power my headphones properly". I tried looking for an equalizer to blast his eardrums and prove that my N1 was the shizzles. None.
    Localized & HK Personalized apps from HTC which was awesome for many Hong Kong HTC android users - e.g. Bus/Train/Public transport route app, HK's best restaurant review app, all blocked by N1. (Error: can only be used by HTC phones)

9. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

Just got mine, I likes it. Can't comment on the battery life yet though.

O ... but touchscreen makes me want to cry.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

not to threadjack, but I have the Eris.

The battery life sucks. Can't last half a day. I don't particularly want to carry around a charger.

The keyboard is a little hard to use although the correction system is pretty good.

The facebook app sucks. Can't even delete my own comments.

The phone's a little slow in its response times. apparently has an outdated processor (but i'm not sure im willing to sacrifice speed for battery life)

Besides those four, I absolutely love my phone.

pretty much seems as same as toilet's ducks problems except for the processor (ps I think if you wanted more power maybe you could use a handheld amp, but not sure if you want something that annoying)

/end derail

11. r...

r... Senior member

Hate the trackball, its a blemish on an otherwise beautiful phone.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Good insights. Still haven't seen one in the wild yet.

13. yfyf

I'm having a pretty good time with the new device. I used to use an HTC Magic (called the myTouch in the USA) and liked the form factor. I rooted and updated the firmware to 2.0 and the performance improved plenty. To the previous poster using the Eris, I suggest you root and update as well, the machine becomes a LOT more responsive afterwards.

I haven't had any issues with battery life yet, I was hoping typing on a big touchscreen would be easier than the smaller Magic but it isn't really much better. Here's hoping for a hard keyboard.

As for the trackball ... well, it's a mixed blessing. Smaller than a d-pad and much more effective than those goddamn optical pads (former Samsung Epix user, loved the keyboard and form factor of that) but a d-pad still seems preferable.

Camera is really nice.

Would like to see how it performs with video someday, maybe there will be a VLC port for the phone someday.

The colour of the screen is really warm, I don't like that aspect. Bit too red.

I miss hard buttons. Why the fuck isn't there a PHONE button on a PHONE. It bothers me that I have to tap tap tap tap taptaptapptapta to make a phone call. Similar sentiments apply for all the other buttons.

Speaker is better than expected but ringer seems a bit soft.

Haven't tried the speaker jack yet but it's a proper 3.5mm one which is nice.

Charging is via micro USB, bit of a pain in the ass. Is there a mini-USB to micro USB adapter out there?

14. DNW

DNW Senior member

Charging is via micro USB, bit of a pain in the ass. Is there a mini-USB to micro USB adapter out there?

Yes. I bought one from eBay for about $2 shipped. Search for "motorola micro usb adapter."

15. yfyf

Yes. I bought one from eBay for about $2 shipped. Search for "motorola micro usb adapter."

Thanks for the tip!