1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nexus 4

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by jarude, Nov 26, 2012.

1. jarude

jarude Senior member

Jealous; I'm still within the estimated ship bracket and have been checking my email compulsively to see if its been shipped yet.

2. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

yup, mine was estimated at 2 to 3 weeks and if my math is correct i am at 2 weeks 2 days from when I ordered.

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

Nice. There is a huge shitstorm about the shipping estimates for these things going on at the android forum I visit, so good to know people are getting theirs on time.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Ordered one two days ago for a friend of mine who lives overseas. Order had said it would be 4 to 6 weeks to ship, but I just got a tracking number this morning. It shipped in just a couple days. :)

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

I guess people who ordered on Nov. 13 have been getting screwed with no updates to their shipping, Play store account, google wallet, etc. with zero help from CSR's while people ordering today get them shipped out the next day.

I'm just glad because both of my phones shipped out today. :slayer:

6. jarude

jarude Senior member

Just got my Nexus. Phowns. Really impressed with it so far... pretty upset that I have used up my monthly data allotment already. :(

7. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

Been playing with mine for a couple of days. Feel kinda stupid lugging 3 phones (this, iPhone 5, blackberry) around but wanted to use them side by side for a bit to compare. Pretty impressed so far, some things android does pretty well. One thing really annoys me though, speaker seems to be terribly soft.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

How do you find the size and weight vs. the iPhone 5?

9. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

I would say the difference is pretty negligible. Nexus is slightly taller and wider but I cannot tell the difference in weight. iPhone has a smaller screen but it is nicer (slightly sharper and brighter colors) than the Nexus'.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Interesting. I would have thought that the MUCH larger screen and wider body would have made for a heavier, bulkier device. Camera comparison?

11. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

For what I want out of it (random snapshots, memories on the fly) both phones' cameras are fine. Not enough experience as a smartphone photographer to say which one is better, but I still wouldn't use either over my regular camera (Olympus m4/3).

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

+1, the cameras are pretty similar. Each different reviewer will say one camera is better than the other, so its not a huge difference.

13. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

I got the Nillkin case for it, and I also bought a neoprene pouch designed to fit a Note 2 so I could slip it in there whenever I know it'll be getting bumped around. I've heard enough horror stories of broken glass for me to baby the everliving hell out of this thing.

Also loving the phone so far - I've never had a great phone before so this is really great. Blown away by the performance on games and I find myself relying on my phone so much more because its so damned fast.

15. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

haven't started into the games yet. downloaded the full globe today and read on the subway, which was awesome, and i'm liking the ease of wireless syncing with my gmail acct. actually was able to load all of my linkedin contacts into my nexus, very stoked on that.
    opinion on your case? would you kop again?
    i'm still trying to figure out the best setup for the main window panels that you swipe through. it will all come in time though i suppose.

16. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

It is slowly becoming clear to me that Android is superior to iOS. I can't put my finger on it, but right now I am trying to decide if I want to ditch the entire apple ecosystem. Which is serious business, I have a loads of media on iTunes and a whole bunch of apps. Argh.

1 person likes this.
  17. jarude

jarude Senior member

My case is alright - I don't have any illusions of it protecting the glass if it were to take a serious fall but as far as protecting from daily wear and tear it seems to be pretty good. And +1 on your setup, it'll never be "done" - I was constantly messing around with it on my other phone.

+100. It isn't even because I'm an Apple hater, because I'm not - I just think Android is a much better system all around. Google has done a great job of making syncing things very easy - try telling that to any iAnything user who has mistakenly synced their device to another system. Oops..

18. rocks

rocks Senior member

I placed an order today via Google for the 16gig iteration, cant wait......:slayer:

19. javyn

javyn Senior member

I want to ditch the iOS ecosystem, but I still want to use my phone as a remote that links my laptop running iTunes to my AirPlay ready stereo receiver, as well as send iMessages to my parents' iPad.

Anyone have an experience with the Apple Remote and iMessenger apps for Android?

20. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Imessage is Apple only AFAIK. Get your parents to use Gtalk, it's much less proprietary. There are Airplay apps for Android, and iTunes remote apps as well.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013