• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Next suit – Navy, Grey or Brown?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
After dropping some weight, I am currently in wardrobe re-building phase. I dropped enough weight that it called for all new suits, trousers, belts and shirts. As I wear some form of "dress clothes" daily (jacket and tie or suit and tie) I have had to attack this project on two fronts - 1. go after a "b" list of items picked up off STP (and other discounters), and the B & S. These items were bought to add some variety and volume to my wardrobe, at a cheap or decent price. So far this has worked out well and a few of these online orders have even made it to the "a" list. The second front is buying near full price items to make up the "a" list as I found that buying in person usually works out better for me, and these are the item that are bought with out compromise, albeit at a much higher price.

With fall here, I really need to dial in another suit - with it primary function to wear to dinners and other evening functions. For reference sake, I am on the west coast of Canada - a place where people tend to dress a bit more casual, though I tend not to follow that trend.

Right now my collection of suits in my current size is limited to: a Navy pinstripe, a Grey pinstripe, a Brown plaid suit, and a Navy window pane suit (very faint blue window pane). I also have 4 SJ and 8 od trouser in the rotartion.

I obviously need to add a solid suit and here are my choices:

1.\tNavy - Can't go wrong here, and I will get a solid Navy suit, but should it be the next one, given I have two navy suits already?
2.\tGrey - I like Grey allot - but it is a little less formal then Navy for evening wear - of course that would not be an issue at the events I attend
3.\tBrown Plaid - I don't need it, it doesn't fill a hole in my wardrobe, and I already have one - but dam I saw one today I really like - of course logic tells me to buy option 1 or 2 and wait to this one goes on sale.

Of course you may suggest I just buy two right now, that is an option, but I like to "get to know" one suit, before I go buy another one. I find it takes me month or so with a suit to tell if I like and want duplicate it or try something else.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
After dropping some weight, I am currently in wardrobe...
You will need both the navy and grey solid. I would get the navy solid next.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After dropping some weight,

Hello,

and congrats for loosing weight.

... as I found that buying in person usually works out better for me, and these are the item that are bought with out compromise, albeit at a much higher price.

Buying is person is better. That's the truth. But are all clothes with a much higher price better?

I obviously need to add a solid suit and here are my choices:

1.\tNavy - Can't go wrong here, and I will get a solid Navy suit, but should it be the next one, given I have two navy suits already?
2.\tGrey - I like Grey allot - but it is a little less formal then Navy for evening wear - of course that would not be an issue at the events I attend
3.\tBrown Plaid - I don't need it, it doesn't fill a hole in my wardrobe, and I already have one - but dam I saw one today I really like - of course logic tells me to buy option 1 or 2 and wait to this one goes on sale.

Of course you may suggest I just buy two right now, that is an option, but I like to "get to know" one suit, before I go buy another one. I find it takes me month or so with a suit to tell if I like and want duplicate it or try something else.

IMO you should buy a suit which looks best on you. If it is the brown one buy the brown one.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid charcoal. It's dark enough to look quite formal and stiff and does not overlap with your current wardrobe. I mean, you already have 2 navy suits and 1 gray suit, it makes sense to add a lil bit of diversity by going charcoal (which looks dark enough to be black under evening lighting anyway).

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Golf_Nerd;1318956 said:
Buying is person is better. That's the truth. But are all clothes with a much higher price better?

Of course not, it just that where I am located buying in person will mean I spend more then buying on the net - fo the same product. With shoes, I can try them in person and then find them cheaper on the net. With suits it rarely works that way, as it tough to find the same model etc.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Solid charcoal. It's dark enough to look quite formal and stiff and does not overlap with your current wardrobe. I mean, you already have 2 navy suits and 1 gray suit, it makes sense to add a lil bit of diversity by going charcoal (which looks dark enough to be black under evening lighting anyway).

That was my thinking too- a good dark charcoal.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd lean to charcoal. Navy and charcoal are about equal, but given your slight reservations about having 3 blue suits, that tips it for me. But only for me... you've gotta do what you really want to do.

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc

+1

Charcoal solid is just as formal as (maybe even a bit more formal, but certainly not any amount less formal) than navy solid for evening wear.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
That was my thinking too- a good dark charcoal.

Just to be clear we are talking about the order that I purchase these items as all three will follow me home within a year.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear we are talking about the order that I purchase these items as all three will follow me home within a year.

not sure what that means in this context... I'd say a charcoal gray suit should be a mainstay in any wardrobe.

ceaton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
+1

Charcoal solid is just as formal as (maybe even a bit more formal, but certainly not any amount less formal) than navy solid for evening wear.

I've always thought as navy being a social colour and navy a more business, but true enough.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think charcoal gray with the right accessories can look great at night.

But, as someone else said, buy the best-fitting 1 of your 3 projected suits now.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
ot sure what that means in this context... I'd say a charcoal gray suit should be a mainstay in any wardrobe.

Sorry I mean that both with be added so I not an issue of which one is more formal ect. just what is the best to add next.

R-H

Reaction score
I voted for the solid navy. There is a guy that posted in the what are you wearing today thread that just rocked the solid navy suit look. It is a classic.

Whatever decision you make, please post pictures. I'll be particularly interested as you are purchasing locally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics