• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Next suit – Navy, Grey or Brown?

JeffsWood

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
966
Reaction score
7
After dropping some weight, I am currently in wardrobe re-building phase. I dropped enough weight that it called for all new suits, trousers, belts and shirts. As I wear some form of "dress clothes" daily (jacket and tie or suit and tie) I have had to attack this project on two fronts - 1. go after a "b" list of items picked up off STP (and other discounters), and the B & S. These items were bought to add some variety and volume to my wardrobe, at a cheap or decent price. So far this has worked out well and a few of these online orders have even made it to the "a" list. The second front is buying near full price items to make up the "a" list as I found that buying in person usually works out better for me, and these are the item that are bought with out compromise, albeit at a much higher price.

With fall here, I really need to dial in another suit - with it primary function to wear to dinners and other evening functions. For reference sake, I am on the west coast of Canada - a place where people tend to dress a bit more casual, though I tend not to follow that trend.

Right now my collection of suits in my current size is limited to: a Navy pinstripe, a Grey pinstripe, a Brown plaid suit, and a Navy window pane suit (very faint blue window pane). I also have 4 SJ and 8 od trouser in the rotartion.

I obviously need to add a solid suit and here are my choices:

1.\tNavy - Can't go wrong here, and I will get a solid Navy suit, but should it be the next one, given I have two navy suits already?
2.\tGrey - I like Grey allot - but it is a little less formal then Navy for evening wear - of course that would not be an issue at the events I attend
3.\tBrown Plaid - I don't need it, it doesn't fill a hole in my wardrobe, and I already have one - but dam I saw one today I really like - of course logic tells me to buy option 1 or 2 and wait to this one goes on sale.

Of course you may suggest I just buy two right now, that is an option, but I like to "get to know" one suit, before I go buy another one. I find it takes me month or so with a suit to tell if I like and want duplicate it or try something else.
 

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
1,358
Reaction score
21
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
After dropping some weight, I am currently in wardrobe...
You will need both the navy and grey solid. I would get the navy solid next.
 

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
After dropping some weight,

Hello,

and congrats for loosing weight.

Originally Posted by JeffsWood
... as I found that buying in person usually works out better for me, and these are the item that are bought with out compromise, albeit at a much higher price.

Buying is person is better. That's the truth. But are all clothes with a much higher price better?

Originally Posted by JeffsWood
I obviously need to add a solid suit and here are my choices:

1.\tNavy - Can't go wrong here, and I will get a solid Navy suit, but should it be the next one, given I have two navy suits already?
2.\tGrey - I like Grey allot - but it is a little less formal then Navy for evening wear - of course that would not be an issue at the events I attend
3.\tBrown Plaid - I don't need it, it doesn't fill a hole in my wardrobe, and I already have one - but dam I saw one today I really like - of course logic tells me to buy option 1 or 2 and wait to this one goes on sale.

Of course you may suggest I just buy two right now, that is an option, but I like to "get to know" one suit, before I go buy another one. I find it takes me month or so with a suit to tell if I like and want duplicate it or try something else.


IMO you should buy a suit which looks best on you. If it is the brown one buy the brown one.
 

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
2,407
Reaction score
3
Solid charcoal. It's dark enough to look quite formal and stiff and does not overlap with your current wardrobe. I mean, you already have 2 navy suits and 1 gray suit, it makes sense to add a lil bit of diversity by going charcoal (which looks dark enough to be black under evening lighting anyway).
 

JeffsWood

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
966
Reaction score
7
Golf_Nerd;1318956 said:
Buying is person is better. That's the truth. But are all clothes with a much higher price better?



Of course not, it just that where I am located buying in person will mean I spend more then buying on the net - fo the same product. With shoes, I can try them in person and then find them cheaper on the net. With suits it rarely works that way, as it tough to find the same model etc.
 

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
9,674
Reaction score
411
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Solid charcoal. It's dark enough to look quite formal and stiff and does not overlap with your current wardrobe. I mean, you already have 2 navy suits and 1 gray suit, it makes sense to add a lil bit of diversity by going charcoal (which looks dark enough to be black under evening lighting anyway).

That was my thinking too- a good dark charcoal.
 

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
14,658
Reaction score
2,297
I'd lean to charcoal. Navy and charcoal are about equal, but given your slight reservations about having 3 blue suits, that tips it for me. But only for me... you've gotta do what you really want to do.
 

OxxfordSJLINY

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
659
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Solid charcoal. It's dark enough to look quite formal and stiff and does not overlap with your current wardrobe. I mean, you already have 2 navy suits and 1 gray suit, it makes sense to add a lil bit of diversity by going charcoal (which looks dark enough to be black under evening lighting anyway).

+1

Charcoal solid is just as formal as (maybe even a bit more formal, but certainly not any amount less formal) than navy solid for evening wear.
 

JeffsWood

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
966
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
That was my thinking too- a good dark charcoal.

Just to be clear we are talking about the order that I purchase these items as all three will follow me home within a year.
 

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
9,674
Reaction score
411
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Just to be clear we are talking about the order that I purchase these items as all three will follow me home within a year.

not sure what that means in this context... I'd say a charcoal gray suit should be a mainstay in any wardrobe.
 

ceaton

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
+1

Charcoal solid is just as formal as (maybe even a bit more formal, but certainly not any amount less formal) than navy solid for evening wear.


I've always thought as navy being a social colour and navy a more business, but true enough.
 

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2004
Messages
4,953
Reaction score
201
I think charcoal gray with the right accessories can look great at night.

But, as someone else said, buy the best-fitting 1 of your 3 projected suits now.
 

JeffsWood

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
966
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
ot sure what that means in this context... I'd say a charcoal gray suit should be a mainstay in any wardrobe.


Sorry I mean that both with be added so I not an issue of which one is more formal ect. just what is the best to add next.
 

R-H

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2007
Messages
439
Reaction score
11
I voted for the solid navy. There is a guy that posted in the what are you wearing today thread that just rocked the solid navy suit look. It is a classic.

Whatever decision you make, please post pictures. I'll be particularly interested as you are purchasing locally.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 83 17.4%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 154 32.4%
  • 8”

    Votes: 138 29.0%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 54 11.3%
  • 9”

    Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 11 2.3%
  • 10”

    Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 9 1.9%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
433,474
Messages
9,311,781
Members
195,389
Latest member
fb_tailormade
Top