• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Next piece to my shoe rotation?

blynch

Reaction score
Current rotation:
CIMG1081.jpg
R to L: Buno Magli(black), F+B(dark brown), PS Bihar(dark brown), Clark DBs Pants I've been wearing: slacks- dark grey, black, and navy; jeans- kmw(still very dark) and AW(getting less dark) Shoes I've been considering: PS Rollins(brown or black), Corso(grey); AE Fifth Avenue(burnished brown or black), McAllister(Merlot) I'll probably add 1 or 2 pairs now, what do I need most? Other makes/models than what I'm considering are fine as well, but AE and PS can both be had on sale right now. (edit) Update: Merlot McAllisters are on order Considering these PS shoes right now: grey dip-dye Corso, brown dip-dye Cage, black dip-dye Buster

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Considering your current shoes and from the choices, I'd go with either the black Rollins or the grey Corsos.

The black is nice because chances are it is dip-dye black so it isn't exactly as dark as your Maglis. Plus the Rollins will probably be more versatile than the Bruno Maglis.

The Corso just because those boots are awesome and the grey dip-dye is great. It will also add a wingtip boot in your rotation.

Other suggestions, if you can't find the grey Corsos, get the grey PS Nash. If you can't find a black Rollins, try looking for a PS Ricard in black dip-dye, very versatile and just overall great, I'd probably pick the Ricards over the Rollins if possible.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar spot to you, and I just picked up AE MacNeil (longwing) in shell burgundy

the other shoe I was considering was a burgundy plain toe blucher

I wouldnt get another shoe in black, I think 1 is fine for a casual wardrobe (esp in a small rotation)

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those Bruno Maglis look too formal though and I just don't like the design and look. I can't imagine those looking good with jeans.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corsos sound the best to me, I wish I had a pair. And I agree with RFX, I don't like those Maglis at all.

blynch

Reaction score
good advice rfx, and yea I definately do not wear those brunos with jeans. I've had those brunos for at least 3 years, before finding styleforum.

Was thinking I'd need a 9 in corsos(out of stock), but looking at the ps thread it seems 8.5 usually fits a 10-10.5US which I am. But the consensus is also to go up 1 size from bihars(I'm an 8) so the 8.5 might be to small.

The rollins don't appear to be dip dyed, and I was thinking brown would be more versatile than black?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah brown would be more versatile bit you already have 3 brown shoes so I figured a black pair that can be worn with jeans and some semi-formal events wouldn't be a bad choice. Look for some black dip-dye Cages as well, I like them better than the Rollins. Someone bought them on sale too, posted here:
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=691

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Yeah brown would be more versatile bit you already have 3 brown shoes so I figured a black pair that can be worn with jeans and some semi-formal events wouldn't be a bad choice. Look for some black dip-dye Cages as well, I like them better than the Rollins. Someone bought them on sale too, posted here:
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=691

black dip-dye cages are nice, I think I searched around the net for them with no luck after seeing that post the first time. Saks by me doesn't carry any PS shoes
confused.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Come to think of it, if you really want brown, I think your collection is in dire need of suede shoes.
You could go for the suede Corso...
saxc-d035-wsu-s25-32572.jpg

Or an Alden unlined chukka...
alden_mens_unlined_chukka.jpg

chomeo

Reaction score
you only have one "dressy" type shoes. get another one. perhaps a black cordovan longwings. they're classic, yet edgy when pair with jeans or dress down...

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
good advice rfx, and yea I definately do not wear those brunos with jeans. I've had those brunos for at least 3 years, before finding styleforum.

Was thinking I'd need a 9 in corsos(out of stock), but looking at the ps thread it seems 8.5 usually fits a 10-10.5US which I am. But the consensus is also to go up 1 size from bihars(I'm an 8) so the 8.5 might be to small.

The rollins don't appear to be dip dyed, and I was thinking brown would be more versatile than black?

The Rollins that are currently on the PS site and are/were sold at Barney's this season aren't dip dyed. They're a somewhat distressed leather but it's different from the dip dye treatment.
They have made dip dye Rollins in the past though.

I'd get something redish or burgandy if I were you.
There's also the grey Miller which is on sale at the US PS site if you're looking for a wingtip.

blynch

Reaction score
black or red both look great in the cages, can't find them to buy though

I did find a brown dip-dye cage in 9UK for about the same price as the Rollins on PS's sale. In picture they look great, only drawback is that it would be another brown shoe. But would it be formal enough to work well with suit/tie? I'm thinking it would be, but I can never really tell looking at a picture online, and the brunos are the only shoes I have right now that fit that role and I don't really care for them.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads