• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Next pair of AEs- You choose!

What should be next in my AE Collection?

• Black Park Ave

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Brown Park Aves

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Walnut Kenilworth

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Brown Kenilworth

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Walnut Mcallister

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Black Macallister

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Wait for the Mora son!

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

spitshine123

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've been lurking for a while and have learned a great bit so far. I recently received a $350 gift card to AE, and I'm torn as to what to use it on. I am a young guy working in finance/ consulting, where the dress code is the dreaded "business casual" of today. I want a pair of shoes that I can wear regularly in my collection that is relatively sleek. Here is my AE collection so far:

-Strand in walnut (still my favorite)
-Fifth Street boot in burnished brown
-Malvern in burnished brown
-MacNeil in burnished brown

What should be next? I have some candidates in mind... but I'm open to suggestions!

-Black Park Aves- I've owned Park Aves before, and they are classics, but they seem to make my feet look short. These shoes may also be a little too formal for my everyday business casual wear. I can also wait and pick these up for $199 during the bi-annual Nordstroms sales, so it might not be the best use of my giftcard
-Burnished Brown Park Aves- A little bit more unique than the Black Park Aves, but a little less formal
-Kenilworth in Brown or Walnut- Add a pair of plain toe bluchers? Not sure if these are beautiful enough for me to love... From some angles, they look the same as $99 Macys shoes that the black shoe army wears.... may just be my prejudice...
-Mcallister in Walnut or Black- Walnut may be too close to my walnut strands in my little collection, and may be a little too busy. Black wingtips might be suitable for me though...
-SAVE THE GIFTCARD UNTIL THE MORA COMES OUT?! Drool... but this isn't a certainty, and who knows when/if it will actually come out and how much it will cost then

Thanks!

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every man needs at least one pair of black captoe oxfords, so I voted for the PA in black.

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Not sure if the deal is still going on, but I know last week AE started a 2 for $200 discontinued factory seconds special. It's a hell of a deal in some cases, give em a call and maybe you can get $500 dollars worth of shoes for $200...and then give me the 150 left on the gift card as a token of thanks. :nodding:

If you're not interested, I'd normally recommend Park Avenues...yeah, every man should have a black captoe...but I've fallen in love with the Kenilworths...

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/735

facet

Reaction score
You seem to have quite a bit of brown already so, if it was me, I'd be looking for something in a different hue. You could go PA's in black but I have them in merlot and really like that colour; and they're certainly very nice for business casual.

Otherwise, my vote would be going to the McAllisters, in either black or merlot again, since you only have one pair of wingtips, and they're long wings at that.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I voted for Kenilworth because it is the best looking of the bunch. Also, if you're in a biz casual environment, you're not going to get much use out of black balm captoe, which really only look appropriate with suits. If it were me, I'd rather spend the money on some shoes I could wear every week.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys! I'm honestly really surprised by the overwhelming response for the black park aves, considering how many on our board don't like black shoes... Knowing that I can get them for $199 during the Nordstrom sales really is making me hesitate though...

Also, I'm quite smitten by the mora, but don't want to shell out the bucks for getting a custom pair now. What are the chances of them being released in spring?

spitshine123

Reaction score
Went with the burnished brown kenilworths- will post pics after a good first polish.

Anyone have more info about future Mora availability? Why choose one when I can potentially have both?! =)

spitshine123

Reaction score
True, I recently sold my Malverns, so its not TOO bad. Also, the Brown Kenilworths in the AE appreciation thread really got me over the hump- they look great!

Aqualung

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've been lurking for a while and have learned a great bit so far. I recently received a $350 gift card to AE, and I'm torn as to what to use it on. I am a young guy working in finance/ consulting, where the dress code is the dreaded "business casual" of today. I want a pair of shoes that I can wear regularly in my collection that is relatively sleek. Here is my AE collection so far:

-Strand in walnut (still my favorite)
-Fifth Street boot in burnished brown
-Malvern in burnished brown
-MacNeil in burnished brown

What should be next? I have some candidates in mind... but I'm open to suggestions!

-Black Park Aves- I've owned Park Aves before, and they are classics, but they seem to make my feet look short. These shoes may also be a little too formal for my everyday business casual wear. I can also wait and pick these up for $199 during the bi-annual Nordstroms sales, so it might not be the best use of my giftcard
-Burnished Brown Park Aves- A little bit more unique than the Black Park Aves, but a little less formal
-Kenilworth in Brown or Walnut- Add a pair of plain toe bluchers? Not sure if these are beautiful enough for me to love... From some angles, they look the same as $99 Macys shoes that the black shoe army wears.... may just be my prejudice...
-Mcallister in Walnut or Black- Walnut may be too close to my walnut strands in my little collection, and may be a little too busy. Black wingtips might be suitable for me though...
-SAVE THE GIFTCARD UNTIL THE MORA COMES OUT?! Drool... but this isn't a certainty, and who knows when/if it will actually come out and how much it will cost then

Thanks!

None of the above. Buy the Rush

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7627_1_40000000001_-1

momanny

Reaction score
I would go for the Mcallister in either color [I voted walnut]. Although Park Ave. is a favored classic for many, I ordered a pair over the summer and was disappointed at how rounded they looked [yes! I agree with the shortness of feet review OP].

I ordered a pair of Jeffersons over the summer and loved them until I saw the Mcallisters (after already wearing the Jeffersons for a while). I tried on a pair of Mcs are the midtown AE and fell in love. But the Jefferson is so similar to Mc that I have since decided to get my fair use out of that pair before even looking at the Mcs...unless another great sale like the one over the summer rears its head.. then I'm all in for a walnut pair.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads