1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Next generation of Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SField, May 31, 2011.

1. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

I am liking my 15" MBP but I really wish I had gotten an 11" Air, because the 4 times I've gone outside with my computer it's been a fucking bitch to carry, it's the heaviest computer I've ever owned it feels like - and I had one of those really gay looking two-tone iBooks about 11 years ago, and traveled with it frequently. By the end of summer I think I am gonna get an iPad2 and the keyboard (which I don't have on my iPad 1 and it probably keeps me from doing any actual work on it) in lieu of the Air.

this is the fucking truth. I have the 15 inch MBP and it is terrible in terms of mobility. At school I get by because it's not as if I'm standing for long periods at a time (I don't have a laptop bag or a case..I think they're ugly lol so I carry it as you would a binder), but just today I was at the airport in Lisbon and I had my laptop, charger and other random socks and shirts in my carry-on duffle and holding it for 2 hours in a line up nearly killed my hands. My laptop made the bag so heavy to carry without putting it down that I had to switch hands every once in a while while the other recovered from the loss of circulation lol my gf wanted to get the same one as me for school and I immediately said, "get a 13; you'll thank me later"

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The lack of flash on the iPad is only really half bothersome - you might want to flick through some smut if you're sitting there on the throne (which the iPad is serendipitously made for, btw - toilet time pre-iPad is the dark ages) but other than that, you aren't really gonna browse the XXX shit at a cafe or anything, so it's not a huge problem for me.

3. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

Looking forward to the upgrade. I'm running on an early '08 MBP with a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo. The computer is still plenty fast for my needs, but I want the added portability that only the sweet, sweet lines of an MBA can offer.

To me, the 11" is too small for someone like me who needs glasses. The 13" is where it's at.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    It would be nice is Apple offered discrete graphics as an option, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

anyone interested in my top of the line macbook air 13"?

the battery was just replaced and only has two cycles.

good condition as i had a skin on it since the moment i unboxed it, but i dropped it twice on the edge and there are two tiny scruff marks. i didnt even notice them until a week ago.

6. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

A friend who runs IT for a local university said the Macbook Air breaks more often than other Apple laptops and costs more to repair too. Has this been true for anyone else?

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

A friend who runs IT for a local university said the Macbook Air breaks more often than other Apple laptops and costs more to repair too. Has this been true for anyone else?

I'd say that was definitely true of the original MBA which was a total POS. Plus, I wouldn't really consider buying a portable without Applecare.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I have the new MBA. I haven't had a single problem with it once.

That being said, I thought the health of my battery was going down a bit too quickly. So I took it to the genius bar and they said the condition was normal for my usage and charge count, but since I was nice and polite about it, they gave me a brand new battery for free ($150 worth of labor and goods)!

9. sartoriallychallenged

sartoriallychallenged Active Member

I'd say that was definitely true of the original MBA which was a total POS. Plus, I wouldn't really consider buying a portable without Applecare.
    I have to agree. I bought the first MBA as soon as it was released and I regretted it. Thank God for the AppleCare I bought. I had so many issues with freezing, overheating, shutting down, hard drive crashes, a deformed spacebar, and finally the plastic bit that held the screen to the base cracked and I had to have them replace the screen, keyboard, and upper body (or maybe they just replaced the whole computer?). Oh, and there was a loose screw inside from when they replaced the hard drive the first time :-S Not ragging on Apple because I'm a bit of a fanboy (though I'm not a techie FWIW), but the amount of issues I had with my MBA, even after having it repaired several times, really put me off the MBA product line. In fact, I haven't had very good experience with the Mac laptops and I'm having major issues with iTunes/AppleTV deleting my library. However, I'm very happy with my iMac, iPods, and iPad. If they're still assembling the screen the same way with the cheap, flimsy grey plastic piece then I wouldn't touch the new ones with a 10-foot pole