Next generation of Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SField, May 31, 2011.

1. SField

SField Senior member

Want something ultra tiny... when will the next generation be out?

2. Lizard23

Lizard23 Well-Known Member

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The refresh will be coming either later this summer or at WWDC which is next week.

4. SField

SField Senior member

5. A Y

A Y Senior member

If the next-gen MBA uses Sandy Bridge like the Gizmodo article says, then there will be a tremendous speed-up for everything, but especially if you do MP3 or movie encoding.

--Andre

6. Jbreen1

Jbreen1 Senior member

Am I nuts or didn't the current generation just come out a few months ago? I know Apple releases new generations like crazy but I thought a new macbook pro would be due first.

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

^^ i think the refresh just came out. i say this because my buddy, who is a big apple guy, was waiting for the refresh and bought it when it came out like 2-3 months ago.

i don't think any hardware is going to be presented at WWDC

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ahh I see. So no improved storage capacity. Main upgrade is speed the thunderbolt. I wonder how it will be priced? Thanks a lot for that
    Any time. The storage capacity might get bumped a bit but I wouldn't suspect anything drastic. Price will probably stay the same or decrease a bit.
    If the next-gen MBA uses Sandy Bridge like the Gizmodo article says, then there will be a tremendous speed-up for everything, but especially if you do MP3 or movie encoding. --Andre
    I wouldn't say it would be tremendous for anything other than encoding or heavy photoshop-ish work.
    Am I nuts or didn't the current generation just come out a few months ago? I know Apple releases new generations like crazy but I thought a new macbook pro would be due first.
    The Macbook Pro's just got refreshed. The Air's have been this way for almost a year now.
    ^^ i think the refresh just came out. i say this because my buddy, who is a big apple guy, was waiting for the refresh and bought it when it came out like 2-3 months ago. i don't think any hardware is going to be presented at WWDC
    They probably won't be announced on stage or anything like that but it'll coincide with the event or come afterwards.

9. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

i don't think any hardware is going to be presented at WWDC

+1

This is going to be all about the new OSes and iCloud, or whatever it's going to be called.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

i currently have the maxed out 13" air with 256 gb of storage, but i find that this setup is not necessary for my usage.

if this is true, that a new air is going to come out soon, i think im going to sell my current air and get the base 11 with 4gb of ram.

i wonder how much i can sell this for.. hopefully at least 1400!

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

What's so unnecessary about it?

all i do is watch movies, use itunes, word processing, email, and very basic stuff.

i dont need all this horsepower for such tasks. also, the 13 overheats a lot faster than the 11.

it's not something i noticed since i bought this in the winter, but now that i use my air in the moist, hot air of summer, it overheats frequently. i dunno if you've heard the fan of a 13" air, but it sounds like a jet engine.

i really didn't need to spend 1800 on this.. damn. i could've spent roughly half that.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

all i do is watch movies, use itunes, word processing, email, and very basic stuff.

i dont need all this horsepower for such tasks. also, the 13 overheats a lot faster than the 11.

it's not something i noticed since i bought this in the winter, but now that i use my air in the moist, hot air of summer, it overheats frequently. i dunno if you've heard the fan of a 13" air, but it sounds like a jet engine.

i really didn't need to spend 1800 on this.. damn. i could've spent roughly half that.

Sounds like every HP laptop I have ever used... An F-14 with afterburners is quieter.

14. SField

SField Senior member

Sounds like every HP laptop I have ever used... An F-14 with afterburners is quieter.

My HP laptop sounded like a Concorde taking off.

All my Apple shit is quiet.

Going to get one of the smaller Airs. Need something very lightweight. Might even get the 9inch.