• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Next addition to shoe collection

countryman737

Reaction score
So right now, as a college student, I would say I have a fairly decent shoe collection. I have a pair of black cap toes and these J&M slip ons: http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1216&sc=1216&pid=74710

I want to get a new pair of dress shoes this summer.

I saw these and really liked them: http://www.zappos.com/giorgio-brutini-47817-brown

But I am also liking these cap toes in burgundy: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_101156

So my question is what to go with, granted I am on a college budget. As shown I already have something with a horsebit, but the new ones are a tad dressier. I could wear the burgundy caps with my navy suit too, but I already have the black caps for that.

Opinions? Would the burgundy caps be too dressy for just khakis with a polo/shirt and tie?--> What would you recommend for this if not above?

Thanks for the advice.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't like any of those, sorry

Look at Herring shoes and Loake if you're on a budget

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Shoebank will have a big Memorial Day sale in a couple of weeks. Email them at [email protected] and get something then.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So right now, as a college student, I would say I have a fairly decent shoe collection. I have a pair of black cap toes and these J&M slip ons: http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1216&sc=1216&pid=74710
I want to get a new pair of dress shoes this summer.
I saw these and really liked them: http://www.zappos.com/giorgio-brutini-47817-brown
But I am also liking these cap toes in burgundy: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_101156
So my question is what to go with, granted I am on a college budget. As shown I already have something with a horsebit, but the new ones are a tad dressier. I could wear the burgundy caps with my navy suit too, but I already have the black caps for that.
Opinions? Would the burgundy caps be too dressy for just khakis with a polo/shirt and tie?--> What would you recommend for this if not above?
Thanks for the advice.

try plan toe blucher.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people here aren't going to recommend you anything much under $300. They would much rather have one pair of $300 shoes than three pairs of $100 shoes.

Last edited:

countryman737

Reaction score

The people here aren't going to recommend you anything much under $300. They would much rather have one pair of $300 shoes than three pairs of $100 shoes.

Yeah I was more hoping for an opinion on style rather than quality of shoes. I can't afford the 300.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I was more hoping for an opinion on style rather than quality of shoes. I can't afford the 300.

Unfortunately, the "styles" that people here like don't exist at your price point. Where are you planning to wear these slip-ons? I would think that the only dress shoe a college students needs is a black cap toe for interviews and formal events.

Last edited:

countryman737

Reaction score

Unfortunately, the "styles" that people here like don't exist at your price point. Where are you planning to wear these slip-ons? I would think that the only dress shoe a college students needs is a black cap toe for interviews and formal events.

For my marketing internship...business casual - shirt and tie...I' m class president as well at school so I am in blazer/shirt tie a lot for meetings with the administration. I have the J&M bit (look above), but I feel the sole makes it a tad informal....

Any suggestion on my next buy?

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Obviously he wants a bit loafer. I dont like them, but some people do. I wouldnt just call out fugly on something specific someone obviously wants.

countryman737

Reaction score

Obviously he wants a bit loafer. I dont like them, but some people do. I wouldnt just call out fugly on something specific someone obviously wants.

Well it's between a but loafer and some sort of cap toe. I was just wondering what the opinions were for and against each in terms of versatility, etc. Opinions? Would the cap look weird with just khakis and a button down? I typically think of caps for suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads