• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newly single 24yo, $700 for a new clothes, help please!

docintraining

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been browsing these forums for the past... oh wow 4 hours now haha... and I could really use your direct advice.

I'm a newly single (girlfriend and I parted ways after 3 years), 24 year old who lives in a very large city in the south west, I'm 5'8 140 lbs, and basically I've got around $700 for a new wardrobe.

I don't really have much fashion sense, but I guess it would be helpful to mention that I do 99% of my shopping at Banana Republic, so hopefully that gives you an idea what I like aesthetically, although I know the mention of that mall store is already making some of you groan! Sorry!

What should I buy in terms of "going out to the bars" kind of clothes? I've been out of the game for so long (3 years) that I don't even know what's the trend these days. I like the clean looks of Mad Men, but if I showed up to a college bar in a suit and fedora I'd get laughed at. If you were a 24 year old skinny (140lb) short (5'8) medical student who maybe gets time to go out twice a month and really needs those nights to be high yield, what would you buy for $700?
Thank you so much for your help, I was clueless before, and now after 3 years on the shelf, I'm even more so!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it slow
Read through the threads on here, especially the WAYWT threads that have a lot of pictures
Figure out what appeals to you
Do research and buy best quality/best price

Don't make another thread until you have read at least a 100 pages on here and looked through the pictures, comments, etc. Find something interesting? Do a search first before asking a question, it's most likely been answered before already.

Foxtrot56

Reaction score
Pretty much every response to this thread is going to be "Oh my god not again" "Wear Aero lolol" and that kind of crap, and after a while someone might reccomend that you lurk more and check out the WAYWT thread stickied at the top. Seriously though, these threads come up atleast twice a day.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Foxtrot56
Pretty much every response to this thread is going to be "Oh my god not again" "Wear Aero lolol" and that kind of crap, and after a while someone might reccomend that you lurk more and check out the WAYWT thread stickied at the top. Seriously though, these threads come up atleast twice a day.

Flambeur beat your meta-commentary post with some great advice. Sorry dude!

OP: do what Flambeur says. Also, post questions about

--what to buy: "Ultimate noob thread"
--small questions (sizing, for example): "Ask a question"
--jean-related questions (jean sizing, fit, etc): "I have a jean thread"

Otherwise, look at the WAYWT threads and abuse the forum search. Seriously, almost every question you have has been asked and answered repeatedly. Good luck!

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Flambeur beat your meta-commentary post with some great advice. Sorry dude!

OP: do what Flambeur says. Also, post questions about

--what to buy: "Ultimate noob thread"
--small questions (sizing, for example): "Ask a question"
--jean-related questions (jean sizing, fit, etc): "I have a jean thread"

Otherwise, look at the WAYWT threads and abuse the forum search. Seriously, almost every question you have has been asked and answered repeatedly. Good luck!

This + take it VERY slow or you will end up with a bunch of **** that either doesn't fit or that doesn't suit your style.

Foxtrot56

Reaction score
Damn I took to long to post, oh well.

One more thing though, I am real new here too but don't think this is the only place to get fashion advice from. There are other places, a lot actually, and this site sort of groups towards one trend while other sites group towards another. Just wear what you like and feel comfortable in, not what you think people on the internet would most approve of.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get a decent pair of jeans (read threads to find out what that is)
get a decent pair of shoes (read threads to find out what that is)

Banana Republic is too big for you I'd wager. I'm probably a fair bit skinnier than you are, but I can probably gauge relatively what 5'8" 140 is like, and you could probably look at slimmer stuff. Hard to find really slim stuff though H&M can have decent stuff.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
You're gonna need a dose of swagger, and it's gonna cost you more than 700 bones...

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
This + take it VERY slow or you will end up with a bunch of **** that either doesn't fit or that doesn't suit your style.
Yep...I helped a guy a few months back and he didn't take it slow. He's posted some expensive items on B&S ever since. Take it slow or you'll blow those $700 on return shipping and marketplace losses. Also: check out Superfuture for an alternative take on things.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by docintraining
Hey guys, so I've been browsing these forums for the past... oh wow 4 hours now haha... and I could really use your direct advice.

I'm a newly single (girlfriend and I parted ways after 3 years), 24 year old who lives in a very large city in the south west, I'm 5'8 140 lbs, and basically I've got around $700 for a new wardrobe.

I don't really have much fashion sense, but I guess it would be helpful to mention that I do 99% of my shopping at Banana Republic, so hopefully that gives you an idea what I like aesthetically, although I know the mention of that mall store is already making some of you groan! Sorry!

What should I buy in terms of "going out to the bars" kind of clothes? I've been out of the game for so long (3 years) that I don't even know what's the trend these days. I like the clean looks of Mad Men, but if I showed up to a college bar in a suit and fedora I'd get laughed at. If you were a 24 year old skinny (140lb) short (5'8) medical student who maybe gets time to go out twice a month and really needs those nights to be high yield, what would you buy for $700?
Thank you so much for your help, I was clueless before, and now after 3 years on the shelf, I'm even more so!

Search this forum. You will find all the info you will ever need.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads