• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newest watch Purchase

PHV

Reaction score
Oris Miles Tonneau I'm happy with the purchase. A good price, and the seller comes highly recommended. I saw one the other day in a store and can't wait to get mine. I thought instead of buying the Cartier Roadster at $5000, I could buy something with arguably better looks (definately more refined) at a lesser cost. I didn't mind the prospect of spending the $5000, but given that I want a watch for everyday wear to the gym and class, I am happy I didn't buy something that expensive.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Oris... nice face and bracelet (an often overlooked component). I like the Roadster better, but not for the difference in price. You made the right call. Enjoy.

PHV

Reaction score
I like the Oris... nice face and bracelet (an often overlooked component). I like the Roadster better, but not for the difference in price. You made the right call. Enjoy.
Thanks. I like the Roadster a lot too, the chronograph version. But considering what I wanted this watch for, I didn't think that the Roadster was the right watch.

My next watch purchase is going to be a new dress watch.

FCS

Reaction score
Pretty nice watch. Do you think it would be too large for a wrist of 6.75" circumference?

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Nice watch. I too will be purchasing an Oris watch soon, probably the XXl or Atelier models, and looked at this seller as well. Please let me know how customs works out for you. Congrats.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice watch. Â However, I think this watch would look even better with leather strap.
smile.gif
I think Cartier is really overrated. I never liked their design. And from what I hear they use ETA movement? $5000 seems to high for me.

PHV

Reaction score
Nice watch. Â However, I think this watch would look even better with leather strap.
smile.gif
I think Cartier is really overrated. Â I never liked their design. Â And from what I hear they use ETA movement? Â $5000 seems to high for me.
Cartier has several undeniably classic designs, you cannot deny that. However I didn't find a positive value in buying the $5000 Roadster for a watch I'm essentially using as my go to "beater", if you will.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cartier use a modified version of the Bvlgari GP movement, originally made by ETA, however, I'm not sure why this is of any concern to anyone. The ETA 2890/A2 is used as the base for many manufacturers for their "complications" movements, so certainly it's technically proficient enough, and with the modifications necessary for this, it will barely resemble a factory ETA movement. Do you really think it costs more for Zenith, Patek, etc, to make a simple movement than ETA? Every comparison I've read of the movements says the ETA is as good or better in every objective measure, aesthetics mean little to me if they are inside the watch.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not talking about accuracy. Honestly, if I was to care about accuracy of time, I would wear quartz watch. When it comes to mechanical watch, I care about uniqueness and artistic part of it.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you ever looked and studied an ETA movement versus a Patek, JLC, or Rolex movement?

I've posted detailed breakdown documents of the movements and what makes them tick, there isn't much (if any difference) between the materials and design used in an ETA versus a PP versus a AP or JLC movement. There's a fancy cover piece, and they are rare, is that worth $10k to you?

PHV

Reaction score
Have you ever looked and studied an ETA movement versus a Patek, JLC, or Rolex movement?

I've posted detailed breakdown documents of the movements and what makes them tick, there isn't much (if any difference) between the materials and design used in an ETA versus a PP versus a AP or JLC movement.  There's a fancy cover piece, and they are rare, is that worth $10k to you?
Isn't rolex just ETA modified movements?

To be honest I don't give a damn. I've never been into gadgetry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads