1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Newest watch Purchase

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PHV, Jan 6, 2005.

1. PHV

PHV Senior member

Oris Miles Tonneau I'm happy with the purchase. A good price, and the seller comes highly recommended. I saw one the other day in a store and can't wait to get mine. I thought instead of buying the Cartier Roadster at $5000, I could buy something with arguably better looks (definately more refined) at a lesser cost. I didn't mind the prospect of spending the $5000, but given that I want a watch for everyday wear to the gym and class, I am happy I didn't buy something that expensive.

2. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I like the Oris... nice face and bracelet (an often overlooked component). I like the Roadster better, but not for the difference in price. You made the right call. Enjoy.

3. PHV

PHV Senior member

Thanks. I like the Roadster a lot too, the chronograph version. But considering what I wanted this watch for, I didn't think that the Roadster was the right watch.

My next watch purchase is going to be a new dress watch.

4. FCS

FCS Senior member

Pretty nice watch. Do you think it would be too large for a wrist of 6.75" circumference?

5. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

Nice watch. I too will be purchasing an Oris watch soon, probably the XXl or Atelier models, and looked at this seller as well. Please let me know how customs works out for you. Congrats.

6. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Nice watch. Â However, I think this watch would look even better with leather strap. [​IMG] I think Cartier is really overrated. I never liked their design. And from what I hear they use ETA movement? $5000 seems to high for me.

7. PHV

PHV Senior member

Cartier has several undeniably classic designs, you cannot deny that. However I didn't find a positive value in buying the $5000 Roadster for a watch I'm essentially using as my go to "beater", if you will.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Cartier use a modified version of the Bvlgari GP movement, originally made by ETA, however, I'm not sure why this is of any concern to anyone. The ETA 2890/A2 is used as the base for many manufacturers for their "complications" movements, so certainly it's technically proficient enough, and with the modifications necessary for this, it will barely resemble a factory ETA movement. Do you really think it costs more for Zenith, Patek, etc, to make a simple movement than ETA? Every comparison I've read of the movements says the ETA is as good or better in every objective measure, aesthetics mean little to me if they are inside the watch.

9. Mr. Xristo

Mr. Xristo Member

I second that.

10. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

I am not talking about accuracy. Honestly, if I was to care about accuracy of time, I would wear quartz watch. When it comes to mechanical watch, I care about uniqueness and artistic part of it.

11. Mr. Xristo

Mr. Xristo Member

Or a Patek [​IMG]

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Have you ever looked and studied an ETA movement versus a Patek, JLC, or Rolex movement?

I've posted detailed breakdown documents of the movements and what makes them tick, there isn't much (if any difference) between the materials and design used in an ETA versus a PP versus a AP or JLC movement. There's a fancy cover piece, and they are rare, is that worth $10k to you?

13. PHV

PHV Senior member

Isn't rolex just ETA modified movements?

To be honest I don't give a damn. I've never been into gadgetry.

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Rolex makes their own movements.

15. ernest

ernest Senior member

But very basic movements...

16. PHV

PHV Senior member

(drizzt3117 @ 06 Jan. 2005, 9:44) Rolex makes their own movements.
    But very basic movements...
    So?

17. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I apologize, I mispoke slightly, Rolex makes their own movements, except for the movement in the Daytona Chronograph, which is made by Zenith. Yes they are very simple, but Rolexes are very simple watches, except for the Daytona Chronograph.

18. PHV

PHV Senior member

Funny you should mention that. Though I mostly favour simple watches, the Daytona is the only Rolex I'd ever buy. However I don't really have a need for a sports watch, but you never know. I find it a very striking watch for some reason, yet for me all other Rolexes fall flat.

19. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Yeah, I have a two-tone Daytona and want a SS one but it is almost impossible to get right now (waiting list) although a place in Laguna Beach has them, albeit at full retail. It's a nice watch although I almost never wear it because I think gold doesn't go well with my skin tone.

20. PHV

PHV Senior member

I normally also do not liek two tone, but something about that the Daytona is very appealing. Two tone, white face. In the summer I get quite tanned, but in the winter I think a Daytona against my complexion would look a little weird.

Generally gold only looks good on South Americans, Southern Europeans, Africans (not the white variety like myself, unless we get really tanned, which goes for any caucasian), and Indians.