• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newc's Bespoke Adventure.

MattyDC

Reaction score
Subbed. It looks beautiful. Maybe it's the angle, but might it look like your right shoulder is a shade lower than your left in the post-lunch fit picture (the photo taken from behind at a 3/4 angle)? Could just be my eyes.

At any rate, I am insanely jealous and intently following your journey. Cheers.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice thread! Responding for updates, carry on...

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The only quibble I have with this saga is the blushing beet red at a stable of women. That was a karmic freebie for you. Next time, when you exit confidently in your suit, sweep them off their feet.

I know. A moment of weakness. Alas.

Subbed. It looks beautiful. Maybe it's the angle, but might it look like your right shoulder is a shade lower than your left in the post-lunch fit picture (the photo taken from behind at a 3/4 angle)? Could just be my eyes.

At any rate, I am insanely jealous and intently following your journey. Cheers.

You are correct. That problem is currently being addressed, I certainly do have a dropped right shoulder. The problems associated with it should be cured in the next fitting.

Nice thread! Responding for updates, carry on...

:slayer:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great posts, Newc. You mentioned somewhere that you are going bespoke in part because you are difficult to fit off the rack. If it's not too personal, can you let us know why off the rack doesn't work for you?

WeakMonday

Reaction score
Great posts, Newc. You mentioned somewhere that you are going bespoke in part because you are difficult to fit off the rack. If it's not too personal, can you let us know why off the rack doesn't work for you?

Looks like he has a dropped right shoulder and maybe can't get that kind of personalized body shaping in rtw?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like he has a dropped right shoulder and maybe can't get that kind of personalized body shaping in rtw?

The dropped right shoulder is one thing, for sure. But it is probably the most minor of my difficulties.

I have a substantially larger back than front, so the balance of my jackets is ALWAYS off. My front measures a 40R, back a 42R, so the back always tugs at the front, and never sits correctly. (what I have learned from this process). Also, I have large shoulders, a smaller waist, and big ole' hips. It takes some tailoring magic to accentuate my shoulders and waist, without drawing attention to my hips.

Those last 2-3 pictures are especially good

Thanks bud!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newc!!!1111!####!!111#@@@!!11

Fantastical thread. I have to say, and I know Im in the minority here, I have generally found that I am not a sharkskin fran, but that fabric looks superb. Not too shiny at all. Great choice you guys came up with.

Not much to say about the cut. Chris does nothing but the best work, and you are no exception. The whole thing looks great. It hugs your body very flatteringly, especially in the waist, while still hanging nicely and not looking tight. For a guy with broad shoulders he made the jacket flow very nicely. Must have been really nice to be able to hang with Chris. One day I hope to join your ranks.

Cant wait to see the finished product.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Newc!!!1111!####!!111#@@@!!11

Fantastical thread. I have to say, and I know Im in the minority here, I have generally found that I am not a sharkskin fran, but that fabric looks superb. Not too shiny at all. Great choice you guys came up with.

Not much to say about the cut. Chris does nothing but the best work, and you are no exception. The whole thing looks great. It hugs your body very flatteringly, especially in the waist, while still hanging nicely and not looking tight. For a guy with broad shoulders he made the jacket flow very nicely. Must have been really nice to be able to hang with Chris. One day I hope to join your ranks.

Cant wait to see the finished product.

Thanks stitchy, I appreciate your feedback To be honest, I was kind of frightened about the sharkskin a bit. Chris said he had worked with it, and loved it, so I deferred to him. But as I may have mentioned earlier--have you ever put a dab of paint on a wall, and loved the color, then painted the whole room, and hated it? That kind of theory.

It is funny, it is the closest fitting suit visually, but the most comfortable things I have ever tried on. It is tight nowhere.

I am excited for the next fitting!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks stitchy, I appreciate your feedback To be honest, I was kind of frightened about the sharkskin a bit. Chris said he had worked with it, and loved it, so I deferred to him.

My pleasure. Yeag, Chris is certainly a guy you can defer to.

But as I may have mentioned earlier--have you ever put a dab of paint on a wall, and loved the color, then painted the whole room, and hated it? That kind of theory.

Lol, we had that with one of the rooms in our house. Loved the swatch, picked it, painted a few feet and the wall, and uhuh no way. Had to pick another and paint over all the original stuff. Hate that.

It is funny, it is the closest fitting suit visually, but the most comfortable things I have ever tried on. It is tight nowhere.

Thats the stuff right thurrr.

I am excited for the next fitting!

As are we! :lurk:

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only quibble I have with this saga is the blushing beet red at a stable of women. That was a karmic freebie for you. Next time, when you exit confidently in your suit, sweep them off their feet.

And take pictures maybe.

Great thread and write-up. Thanks a lot for the invite, J. ;)
I will be learning from it and take notes for my project. Once I can pass it successfully by the SWMBO committee, that is.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words friend! I will be sure to take a few picture if I happen to run into any wimmenz.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When is the final result due? And do you have any other projects with him lined up?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The suit should/could be "ready" right now, probably, but I have pushed it back a bit. I probably won't be able to go to Dallas / Chicago until some point in May or June. Unfortunately, with starting a new job, it probably isn't the best time to take a day or half day off.

As for starting something new, I am looking at getting something in Fresco. Either navy or airforce blue. But the other part of me wants to go a little bit more crazy this next time. I have a post "prepared" on this exact topic, which I guess revolves around just how much more I prefer this suit to what I have. Spoiler, I have a collage of every "tier" of suit I own, which should be a fun game.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads